[OSSR]Achtung! Cthulhu Guide to North Africa

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

[OSSR]Achtung! Cthulhu Guide to North Africa

Post by Ancient History »

That's 'cause it ain't in any of the history books. Just a little piece of war. Place didn't even have a name, just a number. Stoney Jackson took one look up at it and said "Ladies, if this hill doesn't kill us it'll surely break our hearts."

Achtung! Cthulhu is almost the definition of a heartbreaker, and most of Modiphius Entertainment's output follows into the general category - high concept, high quality works lovingly put together. For Achtung! Cthulhu, the basic substance of the line is simple: it's early in WW2, and the Mythos exists. The Nazis' delving into the occult has paid some benefits, and they've got some reverse-engineered Atlantean supertech involving blue crystals for an added Dieselpunk finish. The game uses a slightly bizarre dual-system that simultaneously presents stats from Savage Worlds alongside Basic Roleplaying, but it's really completely beholden to either - I'll get to that in a bit in later chapters, as we run across the mechanics.

So what does it get right? Well, it's a modern roleplaying game product. Chaosium's early products for 7th edition still looked like desktop publishing fiascos made in somebody's spare time at Uni; these are gorgeous, slick-paper, full-color productions that are carefully formatted and laid out like a real roleplaying game product. Research is, as far as I can tell, fairly accurate but they never lose sight of the fact that this is essentially a pulp game with the Mythos. They recognize many of the weaknesses of BRP's system and have actually striven to address some of those issues. And finally, this isn't just a single book - Achtung! Cthulhu is a game line like Delta Green, and is internally consistent in a way that Chaosium books...aren't.

Also, graced with one of the loveliest covers in all RPGs.

The bad? It's a heartbreaker. The mechanics don't quite work. Savage Worlds...who thought that was a good idea? They make a few of the same Call of Cthulhu mistakes. I'm still not entirely sure what all is going on, because I don't have the Keeper's guide, and that reveals all the Nazi/Atlantean shenanigans.

And of course, we're in Africa...

Coming up: Foreword & Introduction.

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Credits
This book was written by eight people you've never heard of, edited and generally midwifed by Lynne Hardy, and the cover and all the interior artwork was done by Dim Martin, while all the graphic design, layout, cartography, and probably anything else requiring a computer-aided drawing program or related decision was done by Michal E. Cross.

Which is a long way to say: this isn't an old Chaosium project done by one person, and it's not a World of Darkness process where absolutely everything was shovelwared by a group of freelancers. It's a small core of writers, and a very small art/design/editorial team. The only excessive overheard in the credits are two "Community Managers," who are probably The People That Talk To The Money.

Other interesting things in the credits: they're borrowing some stuff from Savage Worlds' Weird Wars: Weird Wars II. They're using a bunch of public domain photographs in the artwork - and, considering the massive archives of photo-reference stuff from WW2, that seems like a solid plan. They trademarked various logos and things (apparently, I should have a (TM) after Achtung! Cthulhu). And for reasons known only to themselves, they felt the need to to cover their asses:
Any trademarked names are used in a historical or fictional manner; no infringement is intended.

This is a work of fiction. Any similarity with actual people and events, past or present, is purely coincidental and unintentional except for those people and events described in an historical context.
I vill sue!

Foreword from Glyn White
I'm particularly excited to be involved in this project, not simply for the prospect of writing and playing Call of Cthulhu in this period, but because my father took part n the war in North Africa from the Second Battle of El Alamein onwards (I know, it dates me).
What follows is four paragraphs of war stories, including how his dad liberated two trucks of Italian cigarettes and developed a smoking habit that led to his death sixty years later. This...tells you a lot about the setting, actually. The writers focus on the military side of things, given that it's a war book, and "North Africa" in this context mainly covers Egypt and Libya. Which is kind of why I'm doing this book right after The Cairo Guidebook, instead of delving straight into Secrets of Kenya or Secrets of Morocco, as it's much more focused on Egypt and surrounding areas, and so is closer in flavor to the Cairo Guidebook in how it addresses Africa and its peoples.

Like a lot of CoC products, the Guide to North Africa is sort of weirdly complementary with other CoC books, in that they tend to cover the same or similar subjects, but different writers will focus on different things. This means that while you will never quite get the book you want on a subject, if you dig deep enough and buy enough sourcebooks, you can usually pull something together. It's a level of effort you don't quite see in other games, except maybe when pulling together character classes and monsters for a D&D campaign.

So for example, while the Cairo Guidebook is terrible at several aspects of Egyptian geography and Mythos magic, this book actually delivers. Together, you could take these two books and maybe actually run a Mythos game set in Egypt. And of course, if you dig deeper, there's a lot more Egyptian/Mythos material buried in other CoC books. Y'know, if that was a thing you wanted to do. But at that point, you might wonder "Gee, it would be nice if someone went through all this trouble for me and just created an Egypt sourcebook for Call of Cthulhu" - and you would be correct. But that is not going to happen. Not even in a heartbreaker. And of course, you're going to have to mind caulk over all the inconsistencies anyway.

Also, I think I said in the last post that this book has an introduction. That is not quite true. It actually starts off immediately after the foreword with chapter 1:

Welcome to North Africa

I actually rather like the layout of this book. It does that WoD thing where it sort of pretends to be a collection of period documents in layout but doesn't actually try to make you read a bunch of in-character documents. Instead, you get Nazi eagles and Germanic typefaces and the sidebars are slips of paper "taped" to the page.

Chapter 1 is seven pages long and basically functions as in introduction without calling itself as such. So there's a couple paragraphs of intro fiction in italics, "What is Achtung! Cthulhu?" for anyone that picked this up at random, and then a rough chronology of the important dates for North Africa leading up to the North African campaign. Nominally this book is split into a Keeper and investigators (chapters 1-5) and the Keeper-only (chapters 6-12) sections, but the division isn't very clear in print and doesn't make a whole lot of sense anyway.

As I said, rules are given in both Savage Worlds and Call of Cthulhu 6th edition mechanics - they have these little colored symbols, so the red Sav is for Savage Worlds and the green Cth is for Cthulhu, which works about as well as you can hope. However, most of the system seems geared more for CoC, especially their homebrew tack-on shit which we'll get to later.

The timeline is accessible, but like a lot of these things, there are gaps - it's focused mostly on the real-life military and intelligence aspects of the North African Campaign, a little light on the occult and Mythos bits. But the internal page references are all accurate, which for any Cthulhu-related product is amazing.

Side story: This is Campaign for North Africa, the wargaming equivalent of hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. It is technically a parody of the level of detail a wargame can get into, and is said to take longer to play than the actual military campaign it seeks to emulate. The "board" is 3"x10". I bought my father a vintage copy for his birthday one year.

So, having set the period, we are now open to sat the scene with Chapter 2: A Sea of Sand and Stone.
Last edited by Ancient History on Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Chapter 2: A Sea of Sand and Stone

An observation: this isn't s particularly fat book. About 140 pages counting the index, softcover. Chapters average about ten pages each. So this is sort of the other end of the desktop publishing revolution than what you see with the D&D 3.x and WoD sourcebooks, where the books don't get particularly fatter than 90s splatbooks. Just...nicer.

Anyway, this is a gazetteer of North Africa, focusing mainly on Egypt and Libya, but also Tunisia, Algeria, Morocco, the Sudan, British Somaliland, Kenya, French Somaliland, Eritrea, Abyssinia, and Italian Somaliland. As you might guess from all those names, most of these amount to no more than a good-sized paragraph or two. The focus is mostly historical and WW2-military related; ancient history is given less attention than what happens between 1939 and 1942. Which is actually a pretty good way to handle it.

The general tone is NPOV, the kind that would do a Wikipedia article proud, if a Wikipedia article was never asked to cite its sources. The result is that weird treating-Africans-as-not-quite-human doesn't really happen. You have to sort of stretch to get offended in this section. The only thing I really found was:
And then there is the shock of Cairo itself--a seething mass of alien humanity and culture where the rich and the abject poor live shoulder-to-shoulder; a place where chauffeur-driven limousines can easily pass a corpse left to rot in the street.
Which could almost pass for Lovecraft's description of Miami, but I digress.

Cairo gets a bit more attention than anywhere else, including three paragraphs devoted to its Red Light District - oddly missing from the Cairo Guidebook.
However, any sense of adventure is extinguished from a visit to an "official" brothel by the presence of Royal Army Medical Corps staff handing out prophylactics, and the long queues for the popular women.
There's an image for you. But this is the part of the book where if your campaign is in Cairo, you pick up the Cairo Guidebook and together you almost have enough raw material for your campaign. It's all very quick and flavourfull, though with a notable absence of anything Mythos-related - well into the simulationist stuff. There's not even a map of Cairo, though there's a full-color map of North Africa in the back of the book. My favorite tidbit from this chapter is on a bar called "St. Joe's Parish":
His philosophy s "Mix well but shake politics", and he is famous for the Suffering Bastard cocktail--a hangover cure consisting of bourbon, gin, and ginger beer.
You shouldn't mix bourbon and gin, unless that's all you have left.

Secrets and Lies
This chapter basically talks about the intelligence players in North Africa, from the British Special Operations Executive to the American Office of Strategic Services to the German Abwehr and Gestapo; French, Italian, and native intelligence efforts are basically ignored as inconsequential in the 1940s, I guess, which makes this a really short chapter. It also includes a description of an IED called an "exploding mule turd," which I can safely say has never graced a Cthulhu product before.

The only real Mythos-reference in this section is a sideline about Sonderkommano Dora, a unite of cartographers, astronomers, geologists, and geographers that might be working under cover for Black Sun, the Nazi secret Mythos intelligence group. My guess is that the writers don't want to give too much of the game away because we're still in the section the investigators are supposed to read...and coming up we have new occupations and whatnot in Chapter 4: The Shifting Sands of War.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Is there enough info to play as the Nazis, or an Egyptian person?
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

I dimly remember playing an Achtung! Cthulhu scenario a couple of years ago where we were commandos infiltrating a castle, somewhere in Eastern Europe. The handouts and character sheets were glorious, and it was pretty cool as a scenario (we still lost, but who cares).

Now, looking at the product page at the Modiphius website - they have an A!C skirmish game and FATE and PDQ version of A!C - this might be a version of Cthulhu I could actually get behind.
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
Ancient History
Serious Badass

OgreBattle wrote:Is there enough info to play as the Nazis, or an Egyptian person?
We get to that in this chapter.

The Shifting Sands of War
This is essentially the character creation guide for PCs. The way that Achtung! Cthulhu works is that you pick (or roll, if you so choose) a nationality, then pick your occupation. So far, you might think this sounds a lot like Call of Cthulhu's BRP system...but there's a couple modifications. For one, nationalities get to chose a bonus (if using CoC rules; you only get one but each nationality has 1-3) or background edge (if using Savage Worlds). These bonuses usually take the form of a +5/+10% bonus to certain skills. For example, New Zealand characters:
Self-Sufficient: a Kiwi investigator adds +10% to their Drive Automobile, Jury Rig and Natural History skills to reflect their colonial upbringing.
This is basically taking the D&D race approach to real-world nationalities. Which is bad, both from a racism angle and a game balance angle. And, of course, it interacts with the BRP skill system, which is itself bad. But anything that gives you a mechanical advantage in CoC is sort of good? I guess?

Investigator nationalities include: Australian, New Zealander, Canadian, American, British, Free French, Indian, Egyptian, Libyan, Algerian, Moroccan, Abyssinian, Somali (British or French), Kenyan, Sudanese, Eritrean, South African, Rhodesian, West African, and Bedouin. Not all of these have specific bonuses assigned, but I guess you just use the default template in that case. Notably absent are ze Germanz, who presumably are all NPCs.

Although I haven't read all the books yet, so it might just be hiding.

Occupations work a lot like CoC Professions, except that again, you get to pick a bonus. For example, for the Archaeologist occupation in this book:
That Belongs in a Museum: Some people just have a sixth sense for the weird and/or valuable. The Archaeologist adds +20% to his Archaeology roll when attempting to identify an important artefact (historical or occult).

Digging in the Dirt[/i[: Years of searching have honed the Archaeologist's observational skills. He adds +20% to his Spot Hidden skill.

Some of these get slightly racist. For example, Bedouin Tribesman chooses between:

Sahra[/i[: the Bedouin investigator adds +10% to three of the following skills: Hide, Navigate, Ride, Survival (Desert), Sneak, or Track.

Vengeance is Mine: The Bedouin takes slights against their honour very seriously. The Bedouin investigator adds +10% to relevant Track, Fist/Punch, Melee Weapon (Knife), and Rifle rolls when engaged in hunting down and punishing someone who has mortally offended him. The target must be a named individual and the bonuses do not apply to rolls involving anyone else.

Savage Worlds mechanics for the occupations are completely different and I can't parse them well.

In addition to "Civilian" Occupations there are "Military Occupations" - of which this section includes several. These are basically the same as prestige classes, except that you can start off playing them if you meet their prerequisites - usually attribute requirements and Basic Training: Army, although some require Commando Training. These occupations have names like "28th Maori Battalion," "Askari," "French Foreign Legion," and "Greek Sacred Band." The main benefit to military occupations is that you can choose from among their bonus abilities, which are usually (but not always) combat-oriented.

This is sort of good, because you SAS or SIS character can be appropriately badass with abilities like "Silent Kill" and "Quick Draw." On the other hand, it interacts with the CoC combat system, which is terrible. Savage Worlds doesn't feel the need for all this because it already gives plenty of perks & privileges to its characters (and for Savage Worlds players, there's a bunch of new edges in the last pages of this chapter). Also, there's this:

Zionist: SIG investigators fighting the Nazis for Zionism and a Jewish homeland can add +30% to one of the following: Demolitions, Espionage, or Tactics.

There's a good bit of flavor in this chapter, including a sidebar on blood chits.

This chapter sounds dense, but it really is pretty quick-paced, much more Swords & Fist than Complete Warrior. And it is quickly followed by...

Chapter 5: Coffee Pots and Jerry Cans
"In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine."
- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

They actually start this chapter with that appropriately bad-ass quote.

Basically, this is a description of the military uniforms and gear for the various factions in North Africa, with description of some new weapons as well, all the stats for which are given in Shadowrun-style tables - covering everything except cost, since presumably you'll be issued anything you need. Then there's the "esoteric equipment"...

Not quite this bad, this is the dieselpunk tech that the occult-minded Nazi divisions use. These include a Blue Crystal Detector (for finding caches of Atlantean blue crystal), an Atlantean sliver gun (basically, it's a sniper rifle that uses sand as ammo and fires shards of glass), and the Blaeur Kristall Mk. III...some sort of armor plating. I'd tell you more, but all the secrets of blue crystal and Atlantean tech and shit are in another book I don't own yet.

Anyway, that finishes up the player's portion of the book: on to the Keeper's-eyes-only bits with Chapter 6: Ships of the Desert.
Morat
Journeyman

Post by Morat »

The Suffering Bastard was invented in Egypt during WW2, but not at that bar, and it had brandy instead of bourbon.

I have to say, brandy + gin sounds weird, but it's delicious.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Ships of the Desert

This chapter mostly covers tanks and other forms of motorized travel, as well as how they manage in the desert, tank traps, aircraft, certain varieties of boat, augmented vehicles (which are basically Nazi blue crystal-powered armored vehicles, one of which is specially designed to excavate and transport blue crystal deposits. Basically, any form of transport that doesn't have fur and legs.

If this were Shadowrun, this would be a rigger chapter. If this was WoD, this would be a 128-page sourcebook. In World of Darkness, this would be a table, stuck somewhere in the back of an unexpected sourcebook, like a surprise. In GURPS...well, GURPS would do this properly.

I have no idea why this is technically a Keeper's Only chapter, except maybe that they don't expect the PCs be driving around in the desert in tanks. Also, the weapons are all hilarious. Bren light machine guns, .303 machine guns, 12.7 mm machine guns, 3.30 machine guns, 7.92mm machine guns, 8mm machine guns, and 7.5 mm machine guns all do 2d6+4 damage. Really, caliber appears to mean absolutely nothing. I don't know why they bothered, except for technical accuracy. There's still no maps, but a few new vehicle rules. CoC's existing vehicle rules involve spit and prayer, so this is more heartbreaker territory. I'd have stuck this in an appendix at the back, honestly.

Just Deserts
This chapter could be subtitled "Things to die of in the desert." It is basically Sandstorm in 5 pages, presenting Cthulhu and Savage Worlds rules for things like dehydration, heatstroke, sunburn, sunblindness, walking on foot, sand getting into your equipment, and scavenging.

Unless you want your Achtung! Cthulhu game to devolve into "First six hours of Fallout," with endless scavenging rolls, I don't really see the advantage of these rolls. I mean for fuck's sake, there's a rule here for Cthulhu that gives you a skill penalty for using unfamiliar equipment - just in case you come across a fully-fueled German tank or something. Skills are already pathetic in CoC, you don't have to try and make them worse.

Next couple of chapters are meatier and actually get into some of the good stuff, so tomorrow: Chapter 8: A Most Dangerous Game
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Chapter 8: A Most Dangerous Game
Since the 1930s, Black Sun--the dark soul of the Nazi regime--has dispatched countless expeditions under the auspices of the Ahnenerbe to scour the land for hidden knowledge. Previously forced to work within the laws of their host nations, Black Sun now have the might of the Wehrmacht's Afrika Korps to assist them, brushing asidepolitical and diplomatic niceties and, where necessary, coercing the local populace into providing labour for their extensive excavations. The Allies, despite their well-established networks of spies and informers in the region, have so far been unable to determine precisely what Black Sun are searching for, but again and again a single word crops up in the deciphered messages intended for Wewelsburg. [...] Irem.
This chapter is basically what we were gagging for throughout all of The Cairo Guidebook: Mythos, magic, and Nazis in North Africa. In fact, it hits so many of the right buttons as far as dieselpunk Nazis delving into eldritch horrors in the sand, I'm amazed Ken Hite didn't write this fucking thing.

This makes sense in context.

That said, the dudes involved in writing this book fell into the usual problem with anything Mythos related: they set something in stone. Which means that, no matter how good it is - and the whole thing with Irem and the Muqarribun (the Ghost Priests), it's not going to jive with something someone else has written in some other Cthulhu product, at least until somebody writes a gloss. That said, it's a fairly good interpretation of Irem, and the Ghost Priests are fun if kindof stereotypical liches.

Call of Cthulhu does not handle liches - or really, any sort of undead sorcerer - well. The magic system is too unforgiving and chaotic and weird. It's not like Shadowrun where you can write down the important bits of a combat spell in two sentences, or even D&D where people are used to looking up the spell section and you can be forgiven for 3" x 5" cards and consulting the map to see if what you're attempting is in range. Call of Cthulhu doesn't have many combat spells, and they're mostly either instant death or bullshit, with very little in between. But worse than that, most of CoC's spells are ritual spells of limited utility except for ending the part of the world you happen to be standing on, and even those are costly and difficult. So any write up for a sorcerer is pretty much by definition incomplete as far as a spell list goes, with a note, as here "The Keeper should provide them with spells accordingly."

Aside from the City of Pillars and undead liches, there's discussion of the Nazis tracking down the blue crystal deposits, and then it's on to the Order of the Crocodile.

The Order of the Crocodile is the modern incarnation of the ancient Egyptian Cult of Sebek. This has nothing much to do with the crocodile-men in The Cairo Guidebook or the other crocodile-men in Secrets of the Congo, but rest assured that there is yet another variety of crocodile-man in these pages.

At this point, you might ask Why Sebek?, and I don't have a good answer. I mean, just from Lovecraft's stories you have Nyarlathotep and Bast, and while you see a bit of use of both of them in various products, not much in this book - no big cults, anyway. Set/Seth you might think they would use Robert E. Howard's incarnation of him as a big Stygian serpent god, but they don't do that. Horus, Ra, Isis...I think these are all too human. Tawaret just doesn't have the name recognition.

And maybe they're afraid they can't get away with the tits?

Sebek, though, does appear in the Egyptian/Cthulhu Mythos stories of Robert Bloch, and Chaosium published those fairly early, so maybe...I mean, it's the only thing I can really think of to explain the propensity for crocodile-cults in CoC products set in Africa.

Remember, these are largely stories Bloch wrote as a teenager. Not exactly Psycho quality.

Other occult forces include the Mitzrayim Whist Club, which is apparently the cover for British Intelligence's Section M anti-occult espionage; American efforts in this direction are undeveloped. They also include a brief list of other occult sites/ruins, but those are covered very quickly and shallowly. The best I can say is that, unusual for any CoC-related product, it actually mentions other Mythos African cults and material - not by citing The Cairo Guidebook or Secrets of Kenya or anything, but the Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign. I have a rant saved up about that, but it's for another time.

Chapter 9: Magic and Mysticism
CoC supplements with sections on magic are usually rubbish; it's much more common for tomes and artifacts and spells to be scattered throughout the book, or else clustered together in separate chapters. This chapter actually manages to keep everything together - although it then goes overboard.

Artefacts include Mythos magic and advanced alien technology. So you have a rare occult substance called The Ashes of Sebek, and then you have something called a Mi-go Transformer which plugs into a human to try and turn them into a Great Old One. If that sounds bizarre and stupid...well, it is. The third and final artifact is a Yithian Stone Hunter, which is basically a Figurine of Wondrous Power in a CoC campaign, and I feel dirty just writing that.

Tomes is what it says on the tin. There are some immediate problems, in that in proper CoC fashion they plunder the lists in CoC 6th edition for anything Egyptian-related and work from there, then add their own tomes. One of the finer points of CoC magic is that the same spell can have different names and be technically different spells. So for example, Call Representative of Our Lord and Summon Servitor of Sebek are both mechanically the same as Summon Sacred Crocodile. In D&D, you would just say that the spellbook had "Summon Sacred Crocodile." Not in Call of Cthulhu or its heartbreakers! No, in this game the spells are distinct, and may have variations because tome A leaves out the control bit but tome B also works on crocodile-men or something. And even when they do use the regular name for a spell that you'd find in the spells section of the book, they don't always use the correct name. So like, normally the spell is called "Contact Deity/Sebek" but they might just put "Contact Sebek." That's actually one of the better examples, because sometimes you'll be looking for "Create Crocodile Mummy" but the actual spell is "Create Crocodile Hybrid Mummy," and you might get confused because there's also a "Create Mummy" spell... and yes, that means you can have one "Contact Sebek" spell that points toward Sebek and one that points towards Yig or Nyarlathotep.

Have a drink.

There's several grimoires, but two big ones: the Book of Faiyum, which applies to the Order of the Crocodile, and the Book of Thoth. I'm pretty sure both of these have more spells than most versions of the Necronomicon under CoC 6th rules, and that of course points to another problem, in that old books never keep up with new spells...but that's sort of a nitpick. Anyway, the major issue with the Book of Thoth is that CoC already has an entry for the Book of Thoth in some other supplement, and of course the contents don't match up. It's one of the reoccuring little issues you see in CoC supplements, because not only does the left hand not know what the right hand is doing, but they're playing the stranger game in a blindfolded circle jerk so you're never sure whose hand is on your junk, or whether you're just fapping alone in a room.

Spells are a combination of function calls to CoC, Savage Worlds mechanics, and some new spells. The big ones include Contact Djinn, Create Servant of Sebek (which makes crocodile-people), Create Crocodile Hybrid Mummy (in case you need to populate a dungeon), and Whisper of Angels (which is used to create a ghuul, which is different from a ghoul, and should not be mistaken for the ghouls of Cairo which the Cairo Guidebook calls ghuls, because fuck you, fuck you, and fuck you.)

You can bind a djinn to a Cairo ghoul to make a ghuul ghul ghoul, but at that point you're casting from Sanity Points in real life.

Okay, so unlike the Cairo Guidebook or Secrets of the Congo, Achtung! Cthulhu's Guide to North Africa actually has a decent-ish magic section. Albeit one that is innately Egyptian crocodile-god heavy, and actually kind of lite on what you might normally think of as traditional Mythos elements like Shub-Niggurath and Cthulhu. The only real downside is...well, it attempts the traditional CoC approach to such things, which is basically "add tomes and spells and stuff until you run out of wordcount." And of course they succeed. But success in writing CoC books just means that you're perpetuating a negative cycle.

Next up: Chapter 10: Beasts, Real and Imaginary
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Beasts, Real and Imaginary
Critter sections are less common in Call of Cthulhu products than similar simulationist games, or even D&D. I think this is in part because CoC has never had a proper monster manual. Oh, it has things like the field guides, but you never have a product where they tally up an edition's worth of critters and monsters and put them together into a single product, possibly with some new material, and touch everything up so it works for the new edition and things all jive. Call of Cthulhu really lacks any form of real consolidation, from a game design format, the only exception being some of the Keeper's Companions which reprint out-of-print material and sometimes summarize or reproduce material from famous campaigns in one place.

The result, of course, is that every CoC book ends up being damn near standalone, and you can easily get 2-3 new "races" in each book, plus variant Deep Ones and a new avatar of Nyarlathotep or new Great Old One and...well, it's very bloat-heavy. But it doesn't feel bloat-heavy because, of course, everybody is doing their writing in pretty much a vacuum. They understand that the buck probably stops here, and it doesn't matter if the Mi-go have this technology in one product and not in another, or if you have 4+ kinds of crocodile-men, or thirty odd Greater Independent Races. You'd think it should, and you can bet that if I was doing things that would be sort of a no-brainer product, because it's Fiend Folios and Monster Manuals that help to provide that first organizational impetus to getting your cohesive setting together.

Which might be why in heartbreakers, this is something they actually do. (Having written all that, I am reminded by a friend that there is Malleus Monstorum. But it's one of those things where CoC really could have benefited from a Spell Index or an Encyclopedia Magica or...well, any sort of intermediate effort to say "Okay, look, we've got umpteen Deep One populations spread out over as many books, let's put this all together and try to create some connective tissue." Like D&D did with the Monstrous Manual.)

Now, I will say that the Cairo Handbook had some stats for desert animals, and the Achtung! Cthulhu Guide to North Africa too starts with that most noble of animals: the camel.

For anyone that remembers the She-Camel of God.

These stats are...sort of comical. The Camel's skills are Go Without Water 85% and Malinger 60%; the damage bonus for the spitting cobra is -1d6. Then we get to "otherworldly creatures," which include sacred crocodiles, crocodile/human hybrids, crocodile hybrid mummies, dholes, the djinn...

...the djinn are a Greater Independent Race that were enslaved by the original inhabitants of Irem until they rebelled. It's not a bad way to adapt them to the Mythos, I just think there's less need to adapt traditional mythologies to the Mythos than in...pretty much any other game.

There's also some abbreviated entries for the Great Race of Yith , Servants of Sebek, and Sand dwells, largely to provide Savage Worlds mechanics for some of these. Also, fun fact: a Servant of Sebek knows five spells, only one of which is related to Sebek and none of which are "Create Servant of Sebek." So technically they can't reproduce.

Chapter 11: Trump's Gameplan Friend and Foe

As discussed by Kenneth Hite in his article "Sympathy for the Devil" (Achtung! Cthulhu: the Keeper's Guide to the Secret War. pp.16-17), it is important to remember that those involved in the war in Africa and the Middle East are not cartoon monsters, but flesh and blood human beings. They are motivated by greed, pain, fear, and a myriad of other emotions that are far from alien, even though the actions these feelings result in can be hard to comprehend. The Mythos is drawn to darkness and horror, and those whoa re desperate enough will use any means to accomplish their aims, but it is important to remember that it is vicissitudes of man that push the war forward.
A little preachy and referential, but not a bad approach to the section that basically discusses major NPCs of the setting - largely the ones you're not supposed to kill, like Erwin Rommel and Omar Bradley. After these imposing figures, you're given a selection of more generic NPCs like Arabic Museum Director, Bedouin Tribal Chief, Egyptian Wheeler Dealer, European Egyptologist, French Resistance, Local Thug, North African Village Chieftan, Westernised rabic Woman, French Foreign Legion Soldier, Vichy French Officer, Panzer Commander...etc. etc. They're not all racial/national caricatures, and there's a nice two-page table of Comparative Ranks for Axis & Allied Forces...

I'm not saying these NPCs went to the Stormtrooper School of Marksmanship, but most of the soldiers have 45% or less when using submachine guns, and 55% or less with basic rifles. Also, the Panzer Commander has a better chance of hitting you by getting out of the tank and taking aim with his Luger (60%) than if he tries to use the tank's guns (45%). By comparison, the Westernised Arabic Woman has a 70% skill with her Beretta M1934. Which is by far the highest combat skill with a firearm possessed by any of the NPCs.

I'd have liked some more specific NPCs. But, eh. It's not a bad NPC chapter. It's more than you get from most other CoC products.

Next up: Chapter 12: Adventure Seeds
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Chapter 12: Adventure Seeds

There are three of these in as many pages.

The Devil's Church involves tracking some Italian soldiers to a shrine to Tsathoggua in a cave in Ethiopia. That's it, really. No idea of what might be in the shrine or what happened. If the PCs saw the Italian corpses before the broken altar and decided to nope right out of it, that would be the end of the adventure.

The Glass Lake involves investigation of an unusual geographical feature noted by aerial surveillance: a lake of Libyan Desert Glass. This is a manifestation of Cthugha (somehow), and there's an improperly-closed gat nearby that fire vampires might come through. No idea how the PCs are supposed to close that, but imagine dynamite might be in order.

Duty of Care is...half-assed, even by the standards of these adventure seeds:
Whatever McGuffin the Keeper chooses to make the "Care Package" (a person, an item, a tome, or other information source), the investigators' outward travel to the edge of the desert to retrieve it will be swift and effective as they receive the full cooperation of all airfield and motorised transport depots involved. The journey into the desert, however, is much more taxing [...]
Get item/person A to place B while dodging obstacles C and possible intervention/pursuit D. Blah. These adventure seeds suck.

Suggested Resources
A selection of films, books, RPGs, Websites and Museums & Memorials for anyone looking to get deeper into the setting. They did the nice thing of offering one-sentence summaries of all the films. For example:
Casablanca (1942).
A classic tale of love and divided loyalties as an American bar owner in Casablanca struggles to do the right thing.
I don't think they actually read all of the books they list, because they list Dan Harms Cthulhu Mythos Encyclopedia, which is excellent, but which they don't seem to have taken to heart. They also including Graham Walsey's Stealing Cthulhu, which is sort of a monograph on Cthulhu Mythos roleplaying, by and including the mechanics for Cthulhu Dark, which is a heartbreaker in its own right.

Points for art, at least.

The RPG books are...rubbish, really. It's three Call of Cthulhu 6th edition core books, the Masks of Nyarlathotep campaign, and two Savage Worlds books. Now, these aren't bad as far as suggested reference materials go, but it also very blatantly doesn't include any other RPG resources for the Mythos in Africa.

Websites and memorials - if there are websites for the memorials, they are included - eh. It's not bad to have, but not quite useful. They might as well have included relevant wikipedia pages.

Then we have the index, some ad pages, the full-sized map splashing onto the inside back cover, and that's the book.

Okay, summary! Reflections!

Achtung! Cthulhu is a heartbreaker. And as a heartbreaker, it's not bad. It's major flaws are that it tries to break itself serving two masters loyally, neither of which deserve it's loyalty: Call of Cthulhu and Savage Worlds. The mechanics are, frankly, rubbish. But we knew that coming in.

The racism is thankfully less than many other CoC Africa supplements. I mean, they manage to avoid a lot of terrible stereotypes, but that's mostly because they hardly focus on local African or African culture at all, focusing mostly on the European powers playing in North Africa.

I feel...the Mythos content was okay. But it's still largely a simulationist, pulp-y mindset. There's not enough cults, not enough activity. Now, this might be different if I had a few more Achtung! Cthulhu books and knew more of the secret goings-on, but as it is the setting feels like it has...less potential than it should. I'd have liked to see more (and more developed) adventure seeds, more cults and strange occult forces and actors. I wanted to see the skin peeled back on North Africa and see what crawls underneath, and I don't think I quite got that. Don't get me wrong, it's a very decent book - looks great - but the best bits, with the dieselpunk magicpunk Nazis digging up shit in the desert - I guess I wanted more of that. I wanted to know how the PCs would get involved with that. Espionage and counter-espionage, military operations, rituals in the desert by moonlight...

Face melting optional, but a bonus. Can you believe this shit was PG?

Anyway. Next time, we'll look at a book that says more stupid things about brown people.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Next time, we'll look at a book that says more stupid things about brown people
I was thinking "an occidental adventures/Darkest Europe" parody setting would be amusing... but Games Workshop has already been doing that for decades.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I don't understand how or why you'd want to make it difficult to play a German in a Call of Cthulhu game set during World War 2. Doddering German scholars with world destroying secret knowledge working with the Americans, British, and Soviets was a really important thing in the real history of the real world. Virtuous German men of letters who defected to the allies with terrible knowledge because they morally cannot stand Nazis is a really important genre trope. Your trope namer is literally Albert Fucking Einstein, why is this not supported?

-Username17
Ancient History
Serious Badass

In the Investigator's Guide to the Secret War there is an entry that suggests PCs can pick "German Exile" for their nationality, but not a lot of support for it.