Tome Game, Roll20 map + Skype/Discord chat.

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Mask_De_H wrote:So yeah, I'd be down to have the roles reversed from It Comes In Threes if you'd have me. Would having a single buddy (like an animal companion or a cohort) be too much on the minion side?
Character concept? Character?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Okay, here's a scheduling link:

http://doodle.com/poll/n39hm727tffrxnam#table

Obviously, just focus on the first week or two for now, but this will make it easier for me to see when everyone can be there without figuring it out myself.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Kaelik wrote:
Mask_De_H wrote:So yeah, I'd be down to have the roles reversed from It Comes In Threes if you'd have me. Would having a single buddy (like an animal companion or a cohort) be too much on the minion side?
Well I was just thinking a Master Blaster type of character at like three in the morning. Now that I have my wits about me, a Druid/KaeSorc/Arcane Hierophant played as an urbane hedge magician with a talking animal buddy. Precocious Apprentice to early access AH, Natural Spell because duh, and Nature's Bond to keep the companion up to snuff. Not going into heavy minion spec.

Either that, or some sort of in over their head young warrior type with a talking intelligent item. Not Tome Fighter, probably something like Tome Monk, Soulborn or Soldier.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Mask_De_H wrote:
Kaelik wrote:
Well I was just thinking a Master Blaster type of character at like three in the morning. Now that I have my wits about me, a Druid/KaeSorc/Arcane Hierophant played as an urbane hedge magician with a talking animal buddy. Precocious Apprentice to early access AH, Natural Spell because duh, and Nature's Bond to keep the companion up to snuff. Not going into heavy minion spec.

Either that, or some sort of in over their head young warrior type with a talking intelligent item. Not Tome Fighter, probably something like Tome Monk, Soulborn or Soldier.
Sure, feel free to make a character and fill out the time sheet.

Judging__Eagle
Prince

Re: Tome Game, Roll20 map + Skype/Discord chat.

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Kaelik wrote: You should have some plan to see in the dark for extended times, whether that is Darkvision or walking around in glowing armor, just don't tell me how you carry lots and lots of torches. This is a bit meta, but just to make sure no one suddenly hates their character during the game.
I think just assuming PCs without See in Darkness, Darkvision, or similar have some dirt cheap illumination source is a distinct possibilty. I'm sure that level 8 PCs can just handwave the 50 gp cost per everburning torch.
Also don't be of Baator.
Scratch See in Darkness, I guess. The [Baatezu] subtype is probably the only subtype I've found myself sometimes getting in human noncaster d20 characters, because SiD is really great in a game that involves operating in the dark.

The takeaway from those two pieces of information is that while I'm guessing that having light is super key to this adventure; but that being able to see as far as you can might wreck the adventure's... surprises (alternately, the adventure is against Baatorians, and since they have SiD, all invading PCs will need to have their own way to have visibility in darkness). Which are interesting ways to both include necessities for PCs; without allowing them to ignore the common limitations of most light/darkvision sources.

On the other hand, I guess this adventure also brings the tactical elements of illumination and visibility to the fore of the adventure. Which is really interesting, since it's something that is generally ignored in adventures. Despite the aesthetics of fear that limiting PC visibility with lighting could create. I guess it's harder to convey darkness in narrative; while in visual media it's more obvious (e.g. Doom).

I'd also have to assume that the Blacklight spell would cause all sorts of problems for PCs and monsters in situations where darkness management is key. Mostly b/c it blinds everyone but the target (or caster if on a point/object) with darkness that kills darkvision. Although, I believe SiD > Blackight; which is a synergy I thought was fascinating in ages past.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Okay, I'm a bit confused by the Skill Groups system. So you half your normal skill ranks and choose skill groups. All the skills you pick for that group get a skill rank, with skills you pick at 1st getting a +3. Then you can use your Int bonus ranks, one for one, on any skill you want?

Are you able to pick a different group to bump every level, or does it just work like PF?
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Points per group per level = .5 * Skill Ranks per class

e.g. Wizard = 1 point per group, Sorcerer = 2 points per group, Bard = 3 points per group, Rogue = 4 points per group

Multiply by 4 for level 1. Cap for class skills is HD+3, cap for non class skills is HD.

Now, allocate your points per group as you see fit,

e.g. level 1 Wizard gets 1 x 4 = 4 points to put into each group.

So, for Perception (Hide, MS, Spot, Listen, Spellcraft (Class Skill), Search, Sense Motive ) they could do any of the following:

Spellcraft 4 or
Spellcraft 3, Hide 1 or
Spellcraft 2, Hide 1, MS 1 or
Hide 1, MS 1, Spot 1, Listen 1

Then assign four points into the other groups, respecting caps based on whether something is a class skill.

After assigning is done, they put 4 x Int bonus ranks to put into whatever they want.

On each level up, the wizard gets 1 point per group, and extra int bonus ranks to put into whatever.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Mask, you don't choose skill groups. You have X skill points per skill group. That applies to every single skill group.

Look at the examples, I made and example for a 2 skill per level class, a 4, and an 8.

Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Random as hell question: if I had an animal companion with an intelligence higher than 3, could it speak? I really want a talking companion.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Mask_De_H wrote:Random as hell question: if I had an animal companion with an intelligence higher than 3, could it speak? I really want a talking companion.
Oh weird, you exist. Do you want to maybe fill out the scheduling program?

Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

Well I'm dumb as fuck. Availability dates added.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Everyone please have a character sheet finished for Saturday, thanks frands.

Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

tenngu
1st Level

Post by tenngu »

Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

I'm 90 miles away from my computer visiting family in the next state over for the next two days, and start a new job on Monday morning. I'll be available to game on Monday at about 6pm central time.
Last edited by Hicks on Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Okay, we'll play at 6Central on monday.

Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Tried to use the doodle link, but won't let me schedule past June 30th.

I'm available from July 4th at 6pm until July 6th at 3am, central time.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Stuff I've Made
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Updated it to cover then next month, fill out as you like.

Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Hey, I'm going to away from my computer for two weeks while I attend a workshop in Chicago. Perhaps a sub is in order?
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Sorry I fell of the internet for a while. They changed my schedule at work without telling me, and I almost no-called-no-showed, twice I'll be availible on Tuesday at 1 am to Wednesday midnight for stuff.
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Hey gang, I've fallen off the internet for at least the next 2 weeks, and probably won't be back to discord for a month; ISP wants to be paid and next paycheck falls on a rent week. This is just to keep y'all posted and to say I haven't died or anything.
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Hooooooo!

A-happy group day to me.

A-happy group day to me.

A-happy game group for Hi-icks-

A-happy group day to meeeeee.

~ahnd many moooooooooore~

Belatedly celebrating 1 year of online gaming with my group. Sooo many memories. 700+ hours on roll20 (some of it even roleplaying!) and only 3 deaths and 1 TPK, as a player. Here's to another year filled with adventure! And the most brutal, 40 hour encounter slogs ever experienced, senpai.
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Hey group, if you guys can read this, join the Aftersundown in Mexico roll20 game for our regularly scheduled game.

Roll 20 does have voice convos, Discord is super down for me on my PC and phone, so I assume it is down for you guys too.