Kaelik Sorcerer [Tome of Tiamat]

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Kaelik Sorcerer [Tome of Tiamat]

Post by Kaelik »

Kaelik Sorcerer

"I spontaneously cast from three new spells of my highest level on odd levels. FUCK WIZARDS."

The Kaelik Sorcerer is like a Sorcerer, and does all the things a Sorcerer does, but it does them a level earlier, because it makes no sense for them to be a level behind everyone else, and it let's them spontaneously cast from an actual choice of spells at all spell levels they can cast. Also they get more skill points.

Charisma.

Hit Points: 1d4
Skill Points: 4+Int
Base Attack Bonus: Poor
Saving Throws: Good Will
Proficiencies: Sorcerers are proficient with all simple weapons. They are not proficient with any type of armor or shield. Armor of any type interferes with a sorcerer’s gestures, which can cause his spells with somatic components to fail.
Class Skills: The sorcerer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (All skills taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), and UMD.

Table: Sorcerer
Level:Abilities:1st2nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th
01Spellcasting, Summon Familiar3--------
02Not Stupid Metamagic4--------
0353-------
0464-------
05653------
06664------
076653-----
086664-----
0966653----
1066664----
11666653---
12666664---
136666653--
146666664--
1566666653-
1666666664-
20Why Didn't You Prestige Class?666666666

Class Features
Spellcasting: A sorcerer casts arcane spells which are drawn primarily from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, the way a wizard or a cleric must (see below).

To learn or cast a spell, a sorcerer must have a Charisma score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a sorcerer’s spell is 10 + 1/2 Character Level + the sorcerer’s Charisma modifier.

Like many spellcasters, a sorcerer can cast only a certain number of spells of each spell level per day. His base daily spell allotment is given on Table: The Sorcerer. In addition, he receives bonus spells per day if he has a high Charisma score. He may cast all Cantrips he knows at will.

A sorcerer’s selection of spells is extremely limited. A sorcerer begins play knowing five 0-level spells and three 1st-level spells of your choice. At each new sorcerer level, he gains one or more new spells, as indicated on Table: Sorcerer Spells Known. (Unlike spells per day, the number of spells a sorcerer knows is not affected by his Charisma score; the numbers on Table: Sorcerer Spells Known are fixed.) These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list, or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study, this allows him to learn any spell from the Druid or Cleric list, but no more than one of each Spell Level. The sorcerer can’t use this method of spell acquisition to learn spells at a faster rate, however, nor can he use it to learn cantrips. A Sorcerer may also learn spells that don't yet exist, to do so, he must research the spell, and the DM must approve the spell. The spell acts as his one studied spell of that spell level.

Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered sorcerer level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), a sorcerer can choose to learn a new spell in place of one he already knows of each spell level. In effect, the sorcerer "loses" the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged. A sorcerer may swap only a single spell at any given spell level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains new spells known for the level.

Unlike a wizard or a cleric, a sorcerer need not prepare his spells in advance. He can cast any spell he knows at any time, assuming he has not yet used up his spells per day for that spell level. He does not have to decide ahead of time which spells he’ll cast.

Summon Familiar (Ex): A sorcerer can obtain a familiar. Doing so takes 24 hours and uses up magical materials that cost 100 gp. A familiar is a magical beast that resembles a small animal and is unusually tough and intelligent. The creature serves as a companion and servant.

The sorcerer chooses the kind of familiar he gets. As the sorcerer advances in level, his familiar also increases in power.

If the familiar dies or is dismissed by the sorcerer, the sorcerer must attempt a DC 15 Fortitude saving throw. Failure means he is stunned for 5 rounds. A slain or dismissed familiar cannot be replaced for 2 weeks. A slain familiar can be raised from the dead just as a character can be, and it does not lose a level or a Constitution point when this happy event occurs.

A character with more than one class that grants a familiar may have only one familiar at a time.

Not Stupid Metamagic (Ex): If your DM doesn't have other rules that fix this, a level 2 Kaelik Sorcerer gains the ability to spontaneously apply metamagic to all spells you cast without an increase in casting time of any kind. This means you can even quicken spells.

Why Didn't You Prestige Class?(Ex): You are so dumb you didn't prestige class at all. All the way to 20. You are clearly completely resistant to any kind of influence. As such you are immune to Paralysis, Sleep, Stunning, Daze, Fatigue, Exhaustion, Sickened, Nauseated, Staggering, Turning, and all Mind Affecting and/or Fear effects.

Table: Sorcerer Spells Known
Level:0th1st2nd3rd4th5th6th7th8th9th
0153--------
0264--------
03643-------
04754-------
057543------
068654------
0786543-----
0897654-----
09976543----
10987654----
119876543---
129887654---
1398876543--
1498887654--
15988876543-
16988887654-

Last edited by Kaelik on Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

Yeah, I totally laughed at the 20th level ability.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

The write-up there is good for a chuckle, and the class is good for playing, so I guess it does everything it's supposed to do.

10/10 would play.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

This still seems to have the problems of being worse than the wizard at the later levels and not being particularly exciting. I understand if those aren't part of the goals, but they seem important in a sorcerer food. Reasons to use this over the sorc on the D&D wiki?

https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Sorcerer,_Tome_(3.5e_Class)
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
erik
King

Post by erik »

It's less complicated and you don't have the bullshit of being behind on every odd level.

The expectation is that you obviously PrC out before the later levels.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

...You Lost Me wrote:This still seems to have the problems of being worse than the wizard at the later levels and not being particularly exciting. I understand if those aren't part of the goals, but they seem important in a sorcerer food. Reasons to use this over the sorc on the D&D wiki?

https://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Sorcerer,_Tome_(3.5e_Class)
1) "Worse than the Wizard" Not really. I mean, sure Wizards can Frank Cheat, and make "better" use of downtime spells. But since everything you can do with downtime spells is either broken bullshit or flavor or something a Sorcerer can do too with scrolls or Runestaves or Staffs or whatever, I hardly care. And the Frank Cheat is an exploit, and doesn't come up except at high levels.

2a) Because this class is a class for people who want to write their own spell list to cast from spontaneously, instead of who want to play with the spell list written by someone else, since if they did they would be a Beguiler/Dread Necro/Summoner/Class with a spell list with most of what they want + class features + spell acquisition tricks.

2b) Because this class recognizes that nothing is actually gained from having their be an entire half of the game at which one player resents the fuck out of the Wizard/Cleric/Druid at the table because right now they are at odd levels.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Reading a pathfinder spell caster charop guide makes me appreciate how straightforward and not full of fiddly bulldoo this class is, memorizing the peop list is enough of a chore.

What divine spells would be worth picking up as a sorcerer? Any particular PrC you think would mesh well with it?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

OgreBattle wrote:Reading a pathfinder spell caster charop guide makes me appreciate how straightforward and not full of fiddly bulldoo this class is, memorizing the peop list is enough of a chore.

What divine spells would be worth picking up as a sorcerer? Any particular PrC you think would mesh well with it?
All the usual. Mage of the Arcane Order to pull a once in a while Sulin Sorcerer, Pretty much any Tome PrC that gives full casting, Mindbender for Mindsight if your DM allows it, anything with a Domain or a Bonus feat in the first level for one level.

Whatever, it's just a Sorcerer that functions in a standard 3.5 enviroment without making you hate yourself for not picking Wizard.

Divine spells are mostly useless, but at least theoretically if your party doesn't have any other access you can slap a Lesser Restoration into Restoration or Heal into your list, if you absolutely had to.

Control Winds is actually pretty good, and both that and Holy Word type spells are amazing with Caster level shenanigans. Though you shouldn't do those.

But mostly, it's just a flavor thing, if you want to be a Sorcerer that casts Recitation instead of Haste, you can just do that, for all that it matters. If you want to be the guy who spends spells known on Magic Vestment as well as Greater Magic Weapon, so that you can always have the perfect number of castings of those spells (in a world with dispels) then that's fine too. But none of those are particularly more or less powerful than learning Wings of Cover, that spell that gives you Charisma bonus to a save and some brief immunity, and then filling everything else up with attack spells from the Sorcerer List.
Last edited by Kaelik on Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.