Tome Game, Roll20 map + Skype/Discord chat.

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Tome Game, Roll20 map + Skype/Discord chat.

Post by Kaelik »

Going to DM a Tome Game using Roll20 maps and either Skype or Discord for chat, preferably Discord. Timing will be whenever we can work out everyone together.

The game will be longer than the average one shot, and then, if we finish everything I have planned, we can work onwards if we all still want to.

Game is mildly fish out of water in the sense that you will probably be fighting things without often having advance notice and making plans days in advance. You should have some plan to see in the dark for extended times, whether that is Darkvision or walking around in glowing armor, just don't tell me how you carry lots and lots of torches. This is a bit meta, but just to make sure no one suddenly hates their character during the game.

Rules:

Tome Rules, My Errata, Red Rob's Items, Kaelik Skill Groups, ask about whatever so I can look it over.

Characters: Level 8, average HP round up, 36PB, 7 Lesser Items, 1 Medium Item.

Other odd things:
1) "Tome" Feats at regular levels, no Flaws, at all levels that don't have a Tome feat, get a "3.5" feat, but I reserve the right to reject any given feat and declare it to be a Tome feat. (So that's 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, ect.)
2) SLA casters cannot use Alpha Metamagic on their SLAs, unless I say they can. (The only one I can think of, off the top of my head, is my Shadowcaster on shadow emulation. Definitely not Firemage, or any of my other SLA classes.)
3) If the spell level of a spell or SLA you use is lower than 1/2 your level, it gets a bonus to SR penetration equal to the difference for free.

Things I don't want at all:
If your character is based entirely around the concept of minions, please don't. If your character uses minions a lot, please don't.

Also don't be of Baator.
Last edited by Kaelik on Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Interested in applying as a... not sure yet... Currently eyeing your Force Potentate, Spirit Shaman and Shadowcaster.

Not calling dibs or anything as I'm still kinda undecided, so if anyone wants one of those, go for it.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

I'd be interested. How do you feel about your Elemental Siphon?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Dr_Noface wrote:I'd be interested. How do you feel about your Elemental Siphon?
I think only a true genius could make such a perfect class, and on an unrelated note, it is allowed in this game :)

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Cool. Also, am I right in assuming:

i) Human bonus feat is non-Tome
ii) The [Blending] feats are Tome feats

Oh, and besides our magic items, is there any starting wealth we should keep track of, or should we just take whatever reasonable mundane equipment we can have on our person?

I was thinking about an aasimar Elemental Siphon with a blending feat and most of the rest going towards archery. If this sounds good I'll get started on writing it up for your perusal. And if this PC bites the big one I was thinking about rolling up a Totemist.

Also, any recommendations on rolling sites and where to find fillable character sheets?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Dr_Noface wrote:Cool. Also, am I right in assuming:

i) Human bonus feat is non-Tome
ii) The [Blending] feats are Tome feats

Oh, and besides our magic items, is there any starting wealth we should keep track of, or should we just take whatever reasonable mundane equipment we can have on our person?

I was thinking about an aasimar Elemental Siphon with a blending feat and most of the rest going towards archery. If this sounds good I'll get started on writing it up for your perusal. And if this PC bites the big one I was thinking about rolling up a Totemist.

Also, any recommendations on rolling sites and where to find fillable character sheets?
Not sure why you need to roll anything, but I use myth-weavers for fillable sheets.

You can have whatever mundane wealth you want to have, as a level 8 character, because frankly, while you probably don't have a fortress somewhere at level 8, you did just get your first moderate item, which could be theoretically sold for just the biggest pile of gold, and by the end of what I currently have written, you will be at the point where everyone can build like 6 fortresses without caring.

Blendings are definitely Tome feats. I honestly didn't think about Human feats at all, and while I see some argument that they maybe should be non-Tome, I'm going to say they are Tome.

While that character is fine, I have to wonder why on earth you are going to be archery focused on a character who is an at will caster.

Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Oh, I meant rolling for during the game.

As for the character's feats, I'm open to suggestions. I was thinking long range physical damage was an option that was a bit more exciting than taking a bunch of defensive or perception feats. But truthfully my feat knowledge is poor. Is there anything that interacts with supernatural abilities?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I anticipate that if you build your character for long ranged physical damage you will be VERY DISAPPOINTED and decide to respec all your feats as soon as you realize how this is going to go down.

roll20, where the map is, also has a roll function for in game.

Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

gotcha ;)
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Dr_Noface wrote:Oh, I meant rolling for during the game.

As for the character's feats, I'm open to suggestions. I was thinking long range physical damage was an option that was a bit more exciting than taking a bunch of defensive or perception feats. But truthfully my feat knowledge is poor. Is there anything that interacts with supernatural abilities?
Yeah, I sort of have this problem too when dealing with non Full BAB classes in Tome. Some of the Fiend feats are pretty cool, e.g. I'm fond of Wings of Evil, but since you can already fly as a level 8 Siphon (though at regular speed), Greater Teleport is something else you could consider for your level 6 Tome feat.

I'd also recommend looking in these places:
Red Rob's scaling feats
dnd-wiki's collection

There are probably loads of other scaling feats scattered around the den, some of which might be feasible for use by non full BAB folks but I don't remember where they all are.

I don't really know of any ways to boost supernatural abilities via feats but you can get some other nifty stuff through them. There are some pretty good sort of generically useful non tome feat suggestions in the Dragonfire Adept Handbook.

Edit: And the Warlock Handbook
Last edited by radthemad4 on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Is Red Rob's "Elemental Bodied" the one that is referred to under Elemental feats in the Tomes?
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

If you're referring to the Tome 0.7rev139 PDF (AKA AwesomeTome), probably not as Red Rob's thread came out three years before that thread. as Red Rob's thread came out three years after that PDF did.

I can't find Elemental-Bodied on the pdf. My best guess is that it probably refers to this based on this old thread.

Edit: Fixed thread link
Last edited by radthemad4 on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Neato, thanks. Kaelik, what's your opinion on elemental bodied? I could be the most elemental an elemental ever elementaled.

Edit: Oh, in the Tome pdf "Elemental Bodied" is "Infusion of Elemental Essence".

Edit Again: Well, kind of. Pseudoelemental Bodied seems to call IGTN's Elemental Bodied that radthemad linked to above.

Final Edit: Oh, and are you cool with the good outsider subtypes given by "Product of Celestial Dalliance"? I ask because they're pretty, pretty good.
Last edited by Dr_Noface on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Dr_Noface wrote:Neato, thanks. Kaelik, what's your opinion on elemental bodied? I could be the most elemental an elemental ever elementaled.

Edit: Oh, in the Tome pdf "Elemental Bodied" is "Infusion of Elemental Essence".

Edit Again: Well, kind of. Pseudoelemental Bodied seems to call IGTN's Elemental Bodied that radthemad linked to above.

Final Edit: Oh, and are you cool with the good outsider subtypes given by "Product of Celestial Dalliance"? I ask because they're pretty, pretty good.
What you should do is print out your copy of the Tome PDF, and then burn it all, and then use the internet, because at least on this forum you can find things like my commentary of how incredibly shit different versions of Product of Celestial Dalliance are.

I have no idea what the Tome PDF says about the types, and I'm never going to find out. I also don't know what Elemental Bodied you mean, because there are like five different ELemental Bodies feats.

You should also join the discord link that I sent you, so that we can communicate more quickly.
Last edited by Kaelik on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr_Noface
Knight-Baron

Post by Dr_Noface »

Okey doke.
tenngu
1st Level

Post by tenngu »

I guess I should mention I'll be in. Cold dude or totemist probably.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

I'd like to join as well; I'm off work Sunday afternoon to Wednesday afternoon, from whatever time zone Arkansas is in. I basically got a bunch of characters pre-plotted that I can pull from, which one would you want me to use? I generally try to snag apprentice/mentor, leadership, and extra followers at 1, 6, and 9, but I don't want to take them with me, just to mechanicly represent that my character is part of a group.

Gregory Potts, NG venerable human Wizard (diviner, barred evocation) 5, Mage of the Arcane Order 3. Apprenticed to an elf who left him in a library for 60 years, colligiate wizard, scribe scroll, skill focus (spellcraft), Craft wonderous item, METAMAGIC A, cooperative spell, leadership (leave the cohort at home to tend to the students), summon elemental [reserve], METAMAGIC B

Eric the Bastard, TN Human Beguiler 5, Mind Bender 1, Shadow Adept 2; apprentice/mentor to get shadow spells and other utility stuff, Shadow magic, Mindsight at 6th. Eric

Xaxus, Moil wrought TN human Dread Necromancer 8, going toward shadow adept and basically having the skeleton army, cohort, and folowers tilling the fields at home (profession: farmer). Apprentice/mentor to get plant growth and other utility stuff

Ignatious "Iggy" Puddle, TN goblin wizard (transmuter, barred enchantment/evocation) 8; focuses on item creation. Apprentice/mentor, scribe scroll, spell focus (Transmutation), Craft wonderous item, brew potion, Craft Magical Arms and Armor, Craft wand, summon elemental [reserve], greater spell focus (Transmutation)

NG human cleric (spontaneous domain: spell; rune) 8. Apprentice/Mentor, Extend Spell, scribe scroll, item master, Craft Wondrous item, persistent spell, divine metamagic (persistent spell), leadership, what, ever. Seriously, 8 level of cleric one after another.
Last edited by Hicks on Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Lokathor wrote:Anything worth sniffing can't be sniffed
Stuff I've Made
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

You're only using published materials for those.

Seems like kind of a wasted opportunity in a game that allows homebrew :(
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

So uhhh..... Everyone of those characters is apparently committed to spending feats on things that they don't use? You could just.... Not do that. And say you have friends at home.

1) Gregory is fine, except of course, that you almost certainly won't have time to craft items during the one shot, only if we continue, also no Leadership.

2) Eric, is fine, except that I hate Mindsight.

3) Xaxus is... a class that makes minions, and no leadership.

4) Iggy again, probably not going to have time to create items unless wee go beyond what I have planned. Which is like, 90% of his feats.

5) Again Crafting, and also, to be clear, we would be using Alpha Metamagic Rules for Clerics, So there is no such thing as Persistent Spell.
Last edited by Kaelik on Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Perhaps Hicks, instead of playing any of those specific characters using Apprentice Hacks, you might want to play my Kaelik Sorcerer (that is houserules I've suggested a few times for the Sorcerer, and just posted now about half so I could link it to you). And then PrC into whatever, and you can totally spend your feats on things that are useful for you, and you can then write in "and also he has minions at home."

Although, like I said, would be happy with a Cleric, but see my errata to metamagic.

Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

If It's all the same, I'd rather just be a beguiler: better skill list, trapfinding, and a bunch of spells known. Here's What I got so far
Eric the Bastard with no Mindsight wrote:
Eric the Bastard
TN Male Human Beguiler 5, Mind Bender 1, Shadow Adept 2
Eric isn't evil, but worships Shar anyway, because he's a bastard.

Size/Type: Medium Humanoid (Human) [b]HD:[/b] 5d6+3d4+24 (51 hp) [b]Initiative:[/b] +1 [b]Speed:[/b] 30' [b]AC:[/b] 22 (10 + 5 armor + 1 dex + +3 natural + 3 deflection) [b]Space/Reach:[/b] 5'/5' [b]BAB/Grapple:[/b] +3/+2 [b]Attack:[/b] "Lock-pick" adamantine dagger +3 melee (1d4-1, 19-20/x2) [b]SA:[/b] spellcasting (DC 19, 20 enchantment, or 22 illusion; +17 vs SR) [/td][/tr]
Spell Level01st2nd3ed4th
Per Day6+06+26+15+13+1

SQ: armored mage, trapfinding, cloaked mage +1 DC, surprise casting, advanced learning.
Saves: fortitude +7, reflex +6, will +10
Abilities: STR 8, DEX 12, CON 14(17), INT 17(20), WIS 13, CHA 10

SkillsTotalRanksModifierBonus
Bluff +5 5+0+0
Concentration +1711+3+3 feat
Diplomacy +95+0+4 synergy
Disable Device +1611+5+0
Hide +54+1+0
Intimidate +54+1+0
Knowledge (Arcana) +158+5+2 feat
Knowledge (Planes) +105+5+0
Spot +65+1+0
Search +116+5+0
Sense Motive +75+1+0
Spellcraft +1611+5(+2 scrolls)
Tumble +21+1+0
Use Magic Device +1111+0(+2 scrolls)

LevelFeats
1Apprentice/Mentor
1 humanShadow Magic
2Spell Focus (Illusion)
3 tomeSubtle Spell [Metamagic]
4Greater Spell Focus (Illusion)
5 Spell Penetration
6 tomeCombat Casting [Skill]
7Greater Spell Penetration
7 PrCInsidious Magic
7 PrCPernicious Magic
7 PrCTenacious Magic
8Versatile Spellcaster

levelSpells from Apprentice FeatReplaces this SpellAdvanced Learning
1 Lesser Vigor Nothing!
2 Endure ElementsWelm
3 IdentifyRouseShock and Awe
4 DarkvisionBlinding Color Surge
5 Rope TrickWhelming Burst
6 Magic Circle against EvilInevitable Defeat
7 Magic Circle against GoodCrown of VeilsShadow Spray
8 ScryMass Whelm

SwagCost?
1st Necklace of Adaptation and +INT
2nd Deflecting Ring of Sustenance
3ed Handy Haversack
4thMagic Clothing
5th+3 spell DC Headband of minor spell power (3ed level)
6th+3 CON Periapt of disease immunity
7thRed Dragon Ring (+3 NA, Fire breathing (30' cone, 8d6 fire DC 17 half, 1d4 rnd cooldown))
8thCloak of Resistance (+3) and Featherfall
Nonmagical"Lockpick" the Adamantine Dagger
UnattunedArtifact of McGuffining

Edit 01: re-did skills to get 4 ranks intimidate and 8 ranks arcana for PrC prerequisites
Edit 02: "found" 4 lesser magic items in my haversack that I totally always had.
Last edited by Hicks on Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
"Besides, my strong, cult like faith in the colon of the cards allows me to pull whatever I need out of my posterior!"
-Kid Radd
shadzar wrote:those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.
Stuff I've Made
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Hicks, all that is mostly fine, except spell DCs. See my Errata document, right at the beginning.

Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

I think I see the confusion. All of Eric's spells have at minimum a of DC 19 (10 +4 for level +5 INT mod). Any spell that is an enchantment gets a +1 bonus for the shadow weave magic feat for a DC of 20, and all illusions have greater/spell focus + shadow weave magic for a DC of 22.

I miscalculated Eric's spell penetration bonuses: +1 Shadow weave magic +4 greater/spell penetration +4 pernicious magic (against anyone without the shadow weave magic) +8 level = +17 vs. SR.
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

So yeah, I'd be down to have the roles reversed from It Comes In Threes if you'd have me. Would having a single buddy (like an animal companion or a cohort) be too much on the minion side?
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Hicks
Duke

Post by Hicks »

My schedule just changed. It hasn't changed in 6 months, but it just sort of happened: i'm availible right now through noon tuesday, and available Saturday the 18th from noon to Wednesday noon. Anything after that is hazy because I'm changing jobs, but I'll keep you posted.
-Kid Radd
Stuff I've Made