The Gaming Den "Going to a Con" Thread

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

The Gaming Den "Going to a Con" Thread

Post by fbmf »

I know most of you guys are Niftyites, but for the handful that aren't:
I'll be there on Saturday if anybody would like to meet up, shake hands, and maybe have an adult beverage.

The Nifty thread is here.

Game On,
fbmf
Last edited by fbmf on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Re: GenCon Indy

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

Stupid lousy reality preventing me from going there. Grr.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1078757480[/unixtime]]Stupid lousy reality preventing me from going there. Grr.

SLR has prevented me from going since 1999. This time i put my foot down. :wink:

Game On,
fbmf
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

No money here. I put my foot down, but no money appeared ;)
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

As of right now, it looks like I can stay with a friend in Indianna and actually make it.

-Username17
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Hmm, a friend of mine was asking to room, so I dunno yet. Lemme see if this date next week works out first before I condemn myself to a weekend with him ^-^

-Crissa
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

You could stay with Spike like I'm going to.

-Username17
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Oooo. Spike. He's alot cuter than Bruce.

...Tho, Bruce is an independently wealthy game designer.

Choices, choices.

-Crissa
Treachaoain
NPC

Post by Treachaoain »

I've set time aside on those days from work, but I'm still in the debating process and haven't (and probably won't) give disposition, unless I'm 100% sure I'm going.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

OK, Spike is being a little girl about answering e-mails, so I'm preparing a back-up plan for sleeping on other people's floors if need be. I'm perfectly willing to go in on hotel costs with others and take floor space instead of bed space. Heck, it's got to be more comfortable than sleeping in a Sentra in a parking lot while it's 33 degrees F outside.

-Username17
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

I'm back. It was awesome.

It was beyond kewl to meet in person so many of the folks that I interact with on a daily basis but had never met face to face.

It was very nice to meet you all.

I will post pictures as soon as I can get them scanned in.

Game On,
fbmf
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I'm not back, but I can post again. Now I'm in New York.

Seeing fbmf, Oberoni, MJH, and Dragon Child in person was really cool.

The childish antics of Amber and William were not.

-Username17
Medesha
NPC

Post by Medesha »

I apologize for acting childish and rude, Frank. I didn't recognize you at first and it threw me off when I realized who you were. I didn't expect Will to introduce himself either, which threw me off more.

Someone right there asked me to take a picture since he had forgotten his camera, and I did, but I shouldn't have. I'm sorry I acted so weird.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Basically, when you make a "prank photo" or quickly throw an object right at someone, or in any other way deliberately step on the personal space of others, that's fine, if they are your friend. Heck, that's even OK to do to a total stanger most of the time, because by doing it in the proper context you are implying that they are your friend and allowing them in on the joke. But that's not what's going on here.

You already told me that we couldn't be friends anymore. That's your choice, but that comes with certain social obligations. It means that I am necessarily not "in" on any of your jokes or pranks. Any aggressive behavior is not a "joke", it's an actual aggressive act by definition.

You don't have the social leeway with me that you have with a common stranger, because I'm not one. I'm someone who you know, who is explicitly not your friend by your own declaration. I don't fall into the category of people you can joke with, taking a picture of me in a situation designed to make me look foolish is grounds for me to slug you in the face and take your camera. I didn't do that, because that's not who I am. But I could have.

Your choices today inform the interpretation of your choices tomorrow. Clowning on someone at random can be taken as a friendly or hostile act and is therefore risky. Clowning on someone after you've already stated that you are not on friendly terms is by definition merely hostile.

I am annoyed, but if it makes you feel any better you did not disappoint me this time.

-Username17
Medesha
NPC

Post by Medesha »

Yes, I know I was wrong, and I am sorry. The picture will never surface, for what it's worth. Unfortunately I can't do anything more than apologize, learn a lesson and bury the pic. I wish I could do more.

fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Let's let the topic drop, folks.

[/The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

Picture taken at GenCon. More to follow.

This is Frank lending a sense of scale to the Batman statue advertising a CCG, I think. Regardless, I'm a Batman fan so I wanted a picture.

Game On,
fbmf
Lago_AM3P
Duke

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Frank, those orange pants of yours are damn sweet.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Sometimes I wear an orange cammo shirt at the same time - freaks a lot of people out. It's actually a real cammo pattern that has an actual use, bizzarely enough. It's called "Hunter's Cammo", and it's designed based on the fact that most animals have low frequency color vision so crappy that they may as well just see in gray scale.

But humans aren't most animals, and can tell the difference between orange and green rather easily. So you wander around the woods with a gun, and so are a lot of other people, and then none of you shoot each other by mistake because you are all brightly colored. But because it's still a broken gray scale pattern, you are also largely invisible to the animals you are attempting to kill and eat.

It goes well with the crazy mountain man beard I got going.

-Username17
Count Arioch the 28th
King

You wouldn't freak anyone out where I live, in fact, you'd come pretty close to fitting in wearing that, Frank.

Of course, if you ever came up this way, you might want to get yourself used to seeing gutted deer carcasses in people's front yards hanging from tripods during the hunting season.

(Needless to say, PETA would not be able to get a foothold here, so they don't try.)
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Gen Con Indy

Post by fbmf »

The official site is here.

I'll be there. Any of you guys going?

For those who don't post both places, the Nifty thread is here.

Game On,
fbmf

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Re: Gen Con Indy

If all goes well, I'll be going this year.

For those people who've I've inevitably angered and would like a chance at revenge against me, I have on thing to say:

Get in fvckin line like everyone else. :uptosomething:
erik
King

Post by erik »

I'll be there. When ya live 6 miles away, it's mandatory.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

You know, I've actually considered going in costume.

I was thinking about dressing up like a GOTH
Wrenfield
Master

Post by Wrenfield »

Count_Arioch_the_28th at [unixtime wrote:1117544677[/unixtime]]You know, I've actually considered going in costume.

I was thinking about dressing up like a GOTH
Wonderful. You'll look like I do every morning when I walk out of the house.