[Non-political] News that makes you Laugh/Cry/Both...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

I was sceptical at first, but if the Guinnesbook of world records says it's real, then how much space for reasonable doubt is left?
http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/new ... nce-427011
Also, yes, fuck hoverboard, that thing is leagues ahead.
If you combine it with the backbpack fuel tank, you could probably also make a pretty bitching jet pack i guess.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Mon May 02, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Stahlseele wrote:I was sceptical at first, but if the Guinnesbook of world records says it's real, then how much space for reasonable doubt is left?
Also, yes, fuck hoverboard, that thing is leagues ahead.
If you combine it with the backbpack fuel tank, you could probably also make a pretty bitching jet pack i guess.
What's the huge breakthrough that made this possible now? Did somebody figure a way to build much more powerful fans? Also, what's the fuel autonomy?
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i have no clue.
4 micro turbines with 250HP each.
Fuel for about 10 minutes of flight time.
Maximum Speed of 150km/h and a flight ceiling of 3050m.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

http://jalopnik.com/this-is-the-hoverbo ... 1774176409

Here's another story purporting its realness, with more technical details. I need to start a savings account and go on a diet.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Stahlseele wrote:so, appearantly, we are living WAY further into the future than i had thought:
That thing is somehow real.
Back into the Future II promised us true hoverboards cheap and and safe enough for kids by 2015.

Older sci-fi media promised half the solar system colonized by now, autonomous androids, portable laser guns and sentient AIs by now.

We've had heavier than air tech for over a century by now, a personal version that can only go for 10 minute is still lagging quite behind people's expectations. Computers were created after airplanes, started much bigger than airplanes, yet we now have versions that fit inside a pocket and can last multiple hours working.
Last edited by maglag on Tue May 03, 2016 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

On the other hand, smartphones are basically crazy Star Trek tech for our parents or grandparents. There is still hope for sex robots and cheap cyberware as weekend surgery within our lifespans.

Indeed, with the kinds of injuries you'll get from letting a whole bunch of dickheads fly around on "like on TV" hoverboards in cities, you'll probably want the cheap cyberware to be out first so limb replacements are an option.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

I'm not sure if limb replacement will be of any help if you break your neck/spine falling from the skies. If the idiot survives, they'll at worst get some broken bones, and that's not exactly the kind of thing that demands amputation.

But if someone develops artificial limbs that are better than the real thing, would you wait until you suffer an accident to do the "upgrade"? There was already some controversies about "disabled" runners with artificial high-tech legs actually being considered superior to meaty ones.

Also Sex robots technically already exist. We call them vibrators. Humanoid shape is overrated. Heck, the other day I saw some news about some air blowers built specifically for a woman's clit, and the reviews basically said it was super amazing.

Oh, and I found the Arcaboard released last year. For just 14500 bucks, you can hover for a whooping 6 minutes! That's the "long endurance" version BTW. And looks corny as hell.
Last edited by maglag on Tue May 03, 2016 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

They should make 'em with wheels so you can just roll along the road or something.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

I read about that. I mean, it makes sense. If you've got mothers abandoning newborns at fire stations or hospitals, you at least want them doing it safely? I'm seriously not interested in actively discouraging people from safely abandoning responsibilities they're not prepared for.

Though I don't really understand why it happens. Abortions are expensive, I guess, but it seems like it'd be a small overlap between "people that couldn't afford/conscience an abortion" and "people who want to give up their newborn, but for some reason aren't able to go through the normal process of giving it up for adoption".

The article I read implies it's a secrecy thing, but how can you go through a whole nine month pregnancy without anyone noticing, and then decide that the dealbreaker would be seen talking to a social worker or whatever? Is it shame? I'd think I'd be more ashamed of leaving a baby at a fire station than I would by telling someone in authority that I think someone else would do better at raising my baby.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Actually, this sort of thing isn't really new. A few years back, a korean priest set one of these up, and the internet heard about it. It's a safe place, protected from the elements, where the child can be left and someone is alerted and comes and picks up the baby within a few minutes. It's not like a library dropbox for babies (as much as that idea amuses the part of my mind that likes dead baby jokes).

Apparently there's even a pretty long history and widespread use of these.

Baby Boxes. One more reason every other first world country is probably better than America.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Thanks. That might explain some weirdness with my grandmother.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

SlyJohnny wrote: Though I don't really understand why it happens. Abortions are expensive, I guess, but it seems like it'd be a small overlap between "people that couldn't afford/conscience an abortion" and "people who want to give up their newborn, but for some reason aren't able to go through the normal process of giving it up for adoption".
Infantacide is generally done by panicky teens who hid their pregnancies until a baby popped out in the bathroom on prom night or whatever. That's their target demographic, the has no freaking clue what to do and is terrified of being discovered crowd.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Wait, let's make a list of "stops you shitting so much" things:
  • Strong black tea
  • Opioids
  • Imodium
  • Cheese
  • Chocolate
Now let's make a list of substances that can cause euphoria:
  • Strong black tea
  • Opioids
  • Imodium
  • Cheese
  • Chocolate
I think they've stumbled onto some kind of weird link.

That's probably better than the other moral to the story, of "Just take heroin, it's healthier than the alternatives"
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Come to think of it, "taking a really excellent and complete shit" could go on those lists, too. Arguably as the principle entry.

Perhaps all human joy is, itself, ultimately just a derivation of the sensation of shitting. We are deuterostomes, after all; a breed of hyperdeveloped buttholes. So what could be more fundamental?
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

hyzmarca wrote:Infantacide is generally done by panicky teens who hid their pregnancies until a baby popped out in the bathroom on prom night or whatever. That's their target demographic, the has no freaking clue what to do and is terrified of being discovered crowd.
Is that actually a demographic, though? Pregnant bellies are huge. Even if your parents are distant or disinterested, how does someone get pregnant for nine months and nobody notices?
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Pregnancies aren't always obvious, particularly if the woman in question is already heavy enough that the weight gain doesn't show, and baggy clothing can cover a lot of sins.
sendaz
Journeyman

Post by sendaz »

Take a look at a number of television programs dedicated to just women giving birth who had no idea they were pregnant until they were practically going into labor.

From personal experience, we saw it happen. Good friend of mine rang me up to tell us his wife was pregnant. When I asked when they were expecting, he said 2 weeks.
They literally had not known until just that day when she had gone in for a checkup.
She had always been slightly overweight, but was still having her periods which had always been very light.
Last edited by sendaz on Thu May 05, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

This service is also important to women stuck in relationships that are seriously abusive or controlling that make it difficult if not impossible to go through abortion procedures (which in many US states is now a cumbersome multi-appointment process involving multi-hours drives each way) or the normal adoption procedures.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

SlyJohnny wrote:
hyzmarca wrote:Infantacide is generally done by panicky teens who hid their pregnancies until a baby popped out in the bathroom on prom night or whatever. That's their target demographic, the has no freaking clue what to do and is terrified of being discovered crowd.
Is that actually a demographic, though? Pregnant bellies are huge. Even if your parents are distant or disinterested, how does someone get pregnant for nine months and nobody notices?
[Anecdote]
My mother was in her mid teens and a high school athlete running track on the reg. She hid her pregnancy until she was nearly 7 months pregnant, and only had to admit it because my grandmother noticed her morning sickness and took her to the doctor to find out why she was yakking.

She still didn't look pregnant until bout two weeks before I hatched, and played 2 on 2 basketball (her team lost, in the interest of full disclosure) less than a week before I was born.
[/Anecdote]
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

So what you are saying is that your mom is a scrub who couldn't even win a basketball game 8 and a half months pregnant?
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

That's the tl;dr, yes.

Game On,
fbmf
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Prak wrote:Actually, this sort of thing isn't really new. A few years back, a korean priest set one of these up, and the internet heard about it. It's a safe place, protected from the elements, where the child can be left and someone is alerted and comes and picks up the baby within a few minutes. It's not like a library dropbox for babies (as much as that idea amuses the part of my mind that likes dead baby jokes).

Apparently there's even a pretty long history and widespread use of these.

Baby Boxes. One more reason every other first world country is probably better than America.
I knew that it was done before, I even rememeber an history that some old greeks had a tradition where a couple that didn't want a baby would put them inside a jar and left in a hill where then chidless couples that did want a kid would pick them up.

What I didn't know it's that it's still so widespread. Picking up a kid from adoption is hard yes, but giving a kid for adoption is drastically easier.

Seemingly several of the modern baby boxes across the world aren't exactly legal. But the alternative is literally dead babies. So the governments turn a blind eye.

Are there really so many parents out there that would rather abandon their own child to die than admit to somebody else "I don't want this kid, here they are mister hospital/orphanage/police officer"?
Last edited by maglag on Fri May 06, 2016 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

I don't know about the specifics anywhere else, but I do know a couple who adopted a baby given up at a hospital under the safe haven laws. The mom still had to sign paperwork saying she was the mother and that she was giving the baby up for adoption. They still had to have a waiting period of 30 days in case the father came forward to claim the baby. And the mother really didn't want to deal with it. She didn't want anyone to know she'd had a baby. She didn't want to sign anything. There are lots of legalities that happen when you admit to someone that you're giving away your baby.
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.