Let's play FF#44 Legend of the Shadow Warriors.

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

SlyJohnny wrote:Blue option this time. Was hiding in the cave any better than being forced to make a Luck test, incidentally?

Hope your double-full-time is going okay, Mr Shine!
I've been let go from the new job, so back to normal scheduling.
There are 3 paths that intersect here: going in the cave would involve 2 fights; one is SK 9 and the other only SK 5 but gets a free successful attack. Going right at the previous choice would give you a choice of side areas to explore, neither provide you with loot but after finishing one of them you can enter a cave that bypasses the SK 9 monster, only facing the SK 5. Both caves require a lantern and oil or you die, (or get captured by orcs). Not using the grapple will get you straight to Karnstein, but you'll be missing a critical plot coupon. With a LU 12 character with a grapple you probably made the right choice
When you reach the bottom of the rough shaft, you discover that it is not wide enough for you to tug your grappling hook free. You will have to leave the rope behind (cross it off your Adventure Sheet) Looking around, you see that you have descended in the very middle of a crossroads and that the walls of the four smooth passages emit a faint glow. Will you now go

N:106
E: 114
S: 122
W: 144
Yes it's everybody's favourite: random maze with repeating references. Until we leave this maze I'll just take the first person's choice where to go. I won't bother transcribing the paragraphs, they're all variations on "you descend a staircase", (you are always descending).
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Uh...west?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Sure, west.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

A strange fire burns you, lose 1 STAMINA

N: 106
S: 187
E: 122
W: 253
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

*snort* :roll:

Ok, so 144 is off.
106 and 122 are repeats, do we want to try either of them, or do we want something new? (for lack of a better option, keep heading west to 253)

@MrShine: This is not a vote, but rather a question to the others.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

So the maze isn't necessarily straightforwardly laid out. Backtracking east will take us to the room south of the starting room.

I'd try East/122, to see what it links up to, and to avoid having to backtrack through the fire if West is a dead end.
Last edited by SlyJohnny on Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Sounds as good a plan as any.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

N: 169
S: 114
E: 232
Last edited by Mr Shine on Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

OK, to save time, how about each time picking the first reference we haven't been to yet, until something interesting happens? (Man, I'm sure we've been through this before -- Cretan Chronicles anyone?)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Also Space Assassin, Warlock of Firetop Mountain.

That plan sounds good to me.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Sirocco wrote:OK, to save time, how about each time picking the first reference we haven't been to yet, until something interesting happens? (Man, I'm sure we've been through this before -- Cretan Chronicles anyone?)
In Cretan Chronicles (assuming you're referring to Minos' maze) there were definite clues in the patterns described by the text (although it's one readers need to decipher). Since Mr Shine is leaving all the text descriptions out, I assume there aren't any clues in the text to be seen.

With that said, that sounds as good a plan as any.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

A strange fire burns you. Lose 1 STAMINA (cum 2)
S: 266

A strange fire burns you. Lose 2 STAMINA (cum 4)

A strange fire burns you. Lose 3 STAMINA (cum 7)
All current choices have been used, you can get to 253 for 0 loss through 122 so I'll do that.
N: 266
S: 291

An eldritch fire courses through your veins and destroys you in a blaze of agony... or so it seems, for your body lies sleeping at the foot of the wide staircase. You came down the steps just the once, before being put to sleep by the true Guardian of the Gate. Your repeated descent, since then, has all been part of a never ending nightmare from which you shall never escape.
OK lets start again: 122, 253, 291
E: 304
W: 26

N: 172

At last you are free from this accursed nightmare for nightmare it was! You walked down the staircase only once before being sent into a deep sleep by the Nightmare Master, the true Guardian of the Gateway.

Since then everything has been a dream, with you repeatedly walking down the same staircase. You would have done so for ail eternity, had you not had the strength of will to escape. When you wake up, at the foot of the stairs, you see that you are actually inside a hellish chamber And in it stands your foe, the Nightmare Master, surrounded by the tormented wails of the many souls still lost in his evil dreamworld. The Guardian attacks you without mercy, and his mystic weapons have the power to blight your fate Each time you lose an Attack Round you must deduct 1 point from your LUCK, whether you lose STAMINA or not.

NIGHTMARE MASTER SKILL 9 STAMINA 9

If you win...
We're without a weapon so we fight with an equal attack strength. Spear him or fight?
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Spear him like a Helghast in Tarnalin.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Luck is Spoopy's true weapon so skewer this chucklefuck as to not lose any of that sweet Spoopy luck
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

You wake up - even the Nightmare Master’s attack took place in your dreams! But now your ordeal is finally over, and you feel your strength returning (restore 3 points of STAMINA). Then you near a low, echoing voice: Though I murder sleep, I can never die.' It is the Nightmare Master. Beaten for now, he departs. Climbing to your feet, you see that you are in a small, dimly lit hallway. Four doors lead out of it One of them opens and two figures walk out. Dark Elves, clad in monastic robes. You dodge back and hide in a shadowy alcove as they walk silently across the hall and pass through one of the other doors They are cultists, and this is their temple. If your sacrilegious presence is detected here, you will most certainly be killed. Will you go through the north door, the south door, after the two Dark Elf cultists, the east door or the west door
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

They didn't even tell us which door the Dark Elves came from. Without any other information, I vote for the one door we know something about.

We know there are Dark Elves in them.

South.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Seconded.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Thirded.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

You enter a room packed with books and wax sealed tubes containing ancient scrolls. The two Dark Elves who passed you in the hallway earlier sit at a large table reading magnificent tomes. But as soon as you enter, they look up and shout 'Our temple has been profaned! Death to the outsider!' They draw long daggers from beneath their robes and lunge at you. You must fight them both at the same time.

FIRST DARK ELF: SKILL 7 STAMINA 5
SECOND DARK ELF: SKILL 8 STAMINA 6
Spoopy 13 First Dark Elf 17: Spoopy at 17
Spoopy 19 Second Dark Elf 16: Second Dark Elf at 4

Spoopy 17 First Dark Elf 14: Spoopy Blocks
Spoopy 15 Second Dark Elf 16: Spoopy at 15

Spoopy 21 First Dark Elf 15: Spoopy Blocks
Spoopy 19 Second Dark Elf 15: Second Dark Elf at 2

Spoopy 17 First Dark Elf 16: Spoopy Blocks
Spoopy 17 Second Dark Elf 12: Second Dark Elf dead

Spoopy 18 First Dark Elf 13: First Dark Elf at 3
Spoopy 12 First Dark Elf 12: no change
Spoopy 17 First Dark Elf 12: First Dark Elf at 1
Spoopy 16 First Dark Elf 16: no change
Spoopy 15 First Dark Elf 16: Spoopy at 13
Spoopy 14 First Dark Elf 12: First Dark Elf dead.

If you win, you may search the library or go back into the hall and enter the north door , the east door or the west door
Since we're told the elves have long knives and no reason is given why we can't take one, I'm hereby giving Spoopy back a weapon, to function like a normal sword.
Last edited by Mr Shine on Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Search, or we might as well not have come in here.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Typically the penalty is "until you can find another weapon" so picking up a Dark Elf sword seems reasonable enough.

Search the library.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

You hide the Dark Elves' bodies under the table, then pause for thought. It would take hours just to find out what all the different scrolls and books are about, and time is short. So you content yourself with a brief look at those texts which the cultists were perusing. Will you read the Numeris Astrakkaans or the Ur-Mythalia?
Last edited by Mr Shine on Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Mr Shine wrote:
It is said that a book, the Aslrakkaans Numeris, predicts Voivod's return and provides the means whereby he can be defeated.
So, yeah.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

^This.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Nice catch, Sirocco. Thirded.