It's Personal...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

My book is being translated into German: http://www.festa-verlag.de/sex-und-perv ... ythos.html
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

Ancient History wrote:My book is being translated into German: http://www.festa-verlag.de/sex-und-perv ... ythos.html
Wunderbar!
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I fucking hate this stupid holiday.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

It seems to me that there's a story behind that statement...
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
erik
King

Post by erik »

Wind storms were verra strong today. We lost power like 6 hours ago and I dunno if it will even be up by morning. Spooky seeing my entire neighborhood dark and zero wifi access points (typically see almost a dozen). Usually if anyone gets an outage it is just us and maybe a couple houses behind us, so I selfishly say it's nice to have company this time (tho ours went out a couple hours before other folks).

Edit: yep. 6 am no power still, but some neighbors have lights on. And it ain't our circuit breaker either.

[Edit2: 16 hours of no power and counting. We've had to break up furniture and burn it in the basement for heat. I figure we have food enough for a couple days and will have to begin eating the children. Though they only have about as much meat on them as a chicken apiece. We may have to eat the cats too.
Last edited by erik on Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Going on 28 hrs and still no power. Wheeeeee.

Edit: http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/dan ... ds-n549906
As an aside, yesterday I nearly went to the chipotle in this story probably right when this occurred. I was worried driving through some intersections that the signal lights would fall because they were flailing all over.

Might as well sleep. Maybe we get power back tomorrow.
But not by morning apparently.

Hooray. Power returned just before hitting 48 hours of darkness.
Last edited by erik on Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Congrats on getting power back!

I'm curious, in your area were there lots of gas-powered generators going at people's houses? My experience with long-term power outages makes me hate them solely for the loud, droning "rrrrrrrrrrrrr" that went on all day and all night long from pretty much every single house.

(best part was the free MREs given out by the city! perfect resource for the lazy bachelor...)
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
erik
King

Post by erik »

Not this time. A couple winters ago when we had power outages I do recall one or two neighbors running a generator down the street. It sounded similar to a snow blower in the distance but the difference was that it was a constant drone.

Thankfully this time it was warm enough that heating wasn't absolutely required. That said, I'm thankful to have it back since it will get below freezing tonight. That and the end to a general nuisance. I didn't lose much food since I packed perishables into a cooler with ice. Didn't even have to eat any children. I was gonna do some grilling outside for cooking if we didn't get power tonight. Instead I got to cook inside which was nice.

Worst of it was hand washing dishes with flipping cold water and then washing off my hands in same cold water. That and no warm shower. We played Splendor with the kids til it got dark yesterday. I can confirm that gunning for top tier cards from the onset is a dominating strategy. Rarely does anyone have a chance at a single noble before someone hits 15 points.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Been working on this for about a year or so, off and on. Little 40 page notebook for D&D/PF, with a character sheet, ruled note pages and rules reference (3.5 and PF). I've been through three proofs, and I think there'll be one more after I do some small corrections, and then they'll be up for sale. Not entirely sure where yet, however.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

erik wrote:We played Splendor with the kids til it got dark yesterday. I can confirm that gunning for top tier cards from the onset is a dominating strategy. Rarely does anyone have a chance at a single noble before someone hits 15 points.
My wife and I tried that after I read that here, and I agree.
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Prak wrote:Image
"Delvers and Denizens" would have more symmetry, IMHO.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hmm... you're probably right. I was trying for more of a direct analogue to Dungeons and Dragons, using Delving as a noun (as in, a place you delve into, yes, it's a made up usage). I'm still playing with the cover, so I may change that.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I'm considering giving up on my quest to improve my credit rating. I was sent to collections for medical bills I wasn't aware I had (For every medical treatment or doctor visit I have I get sent at least 6 bills for similar amounts, spaced out over the period of about six months, and the billing office is either unable or unwilling to just tell me the total amount I owe).

So yeah, I'm just going to accept my credit is going to be bad no matter what I do, unless I win the powerball or some rich dude gives me a couple million dollars for no reason.

EDIT: So yeah, I managed to reactivate my online billing profile and they have things going back 3 years that I was expected to pay without being sent an actual bill. It's bullcrap.
Last edited by Count Arioch the 28th on Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Today I've been told that I look like Carlos the Jackel. I guess I can kinda sorta see the resemblance. Here's an old yearbook photo of me, so you can judge for yourself.

Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
RedstoneOrc
Apprentice

Post by RedstoneOrc »

Ok my heap of a car got towed today, while trying to get it legal running and whole. I have no money for this shit, so, it's a big deal to me. Worst, I'm in training for a new job for three weeks so no money for until then. And at least two weeks after the hiring.

Mega worst, is I'm currently over 400 miles away from said car on my business training camp. If I leave to get my car they will replace me. If I stay the impound fee is going to keep it there for more than a few months.

God help me, I may do things to people.
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

So you had it parked on the street and it was towed for abandonment? Lacking valid plates? Accrued tickets?

Where's it impounded? If it's near DC I'll go grab it and put it on a lawn somewhere for you~
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
RedstoneOrc
Apprentice

Post by RedstoneOrc »

Eikre wrote:So you had it parked on the street and it was towed for abandonment? Lacking valid plates? Accrued tickets?

Where's it impounded? If it's near DC I'll go grab it and put it on a lawn somewhere for you~
Nah none of that it was at my apartment in Texas looking like a heap with to taped up windows so they had it towed illegally. But I threw a fit, threated a few people with texas violence, and lawyering up as well. They gave it back without charge and had my brother put it on private property.

But by Pelor that was nerve wracking. I'm still raging about it.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

I must have forgotten to lock my car because some scrotum soaker decided to rummage through it. I don't keep valuables in my car so nothing was taken but that still pisses me off.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Hey, just be happy they didn't break anything to enter, I'd say.

I never lock my work car since it just has crap in it that no thief wants. I figure if someone's gonna break in it would be far less expensive if they didn't have to break something. Still it is disconcerting when someone does take the opportunity to rummage.

I've had someone rummage through our other car that we normally lock (especially in Missouri, but really everywhere to stay in the habit). They stole a half-empty pack of gum and a $3 old ipod car input adapter nearing the end of its lifespan (was replaced for $3 with a much better one), but left a couple dollars in change that was in a cup holder. I'm 99% certain it was a stupid teenage neighborhood kid stealing for thrills rather than income.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Years ago, my sister-in-law lived in Milwaukee, and she had a cup holder of change in plain view. Someone broke the window and stole the less than $5 she had in her car. She said she wished she'd just left it unlocked.

Of course, I totally agree that it'd be super disconcerting to know that someone had rummaged through your car...
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Just had some teeth cut out of my face and this shit fucking hurts. A lot.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Oooh. Follow the instructions the dentist gave you carefully, you don't want dry sockets.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Also, as my friend discovered last night, don't eat rice, even though it's probably not explicitly forbidden by the dentist's instructions.