Shadowrun Returns - Recommended Community-made content?

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

unnamednpc
Apprentice

Post by unnamednpc »

Apparently there was some sort of medium sized racism controversy surrounding SRidentity's first offering Life on a Limb? Like, these http://i.imgur.com/U0bMVOL.jpg were in the module, some people got mad, some people defended it, then Opifer changed it and promised to change any further. .. questionable content when people point it out to him?
I don't really know what to make of it, but it is some weirdly anachronistic racism to be there just for style, and given that I understand the author of this UGC is one of the leading figures in the identity project, it just leaves a funny taste in my mouth.

More OT, Lost Lamb was a nice short romp that more than anything else makes me optimistic about the potential of the editor and future, bigger projects down the line.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

That kind of Racism is so out of style with the new Races for REAL racial difference, not just skin color and religion . . .
Is it racism at all, if it's based on religion? O.o
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

That is seriously some bizarrely out-of-place racism. I mean, even discounting that SR has traditional racism depreciated in favor of metahuman racism, that just does not fit in a cyberpunk setting.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Parthenon
Knight-Baron

Post by Parthenon »

This is a joke. Has to be.

Surely noone would actually write: "Are you really going to Jew me out of my hard earned money?" and expect it to be taken seriously. And the "He is also an Asian. You must be close friends." Sounds like someone taking the piss out of racists.

There is no defending this unless you are specifically RPing a racist idiot.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

Is that really in the module? That seems...I don't even know.
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

That definitely appears to be from a module. The interface looks right, assuming the editor allows you to rename etiquettes to look like that, or via some mission item trickery.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Korwin
Duke

Re: Shadowrun Returns - Recommended Community-made content?

Post by Korwin »

Fuchs wrote:For those who have played the game, and delved into the community-made content: Which runs would you recommend?
Time went by, anyone have recomendations?
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

I haven't played any of the community content, yet.... but the new official DLC adding finally adding in any-time saving has made this game much more enjoyable. xD

Side note:
Anybody willing to share some builds?
I have to admit, I like being able to look over other people's character builds and steam has made me lazy... so I was thinking of compiling some builds to throw up on Steam as guides.
Last edited by codeGlaze on Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
codeGlaze
Duke

Re: Shadowrun Returns - Recommended Community-made content?

Post by codeGlaze »

Korwin wrote:
Fuchs wrote:For those who have played the game, and delved into the community-made content: Which runs would you recommend?
Time went by, anyone have recomendations?
Apparently the community-at-large likes "Nightmare Harvest".

edit: I've also seen "A stitch in time" mentioned several times.
Last edited by codeGlaze on Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
Apprentice

Post by Ed »

Nightmare Harvest is very good--it's mostly well-balanced for a number of different character types and the writing is good. Basically everything else is laughably short, unfinished, or A Stitch In Time, which is broken in almost every way I can conceive of it being broken.

I love this game, but I think their tooling and the demands of creating new assets for the system is just too much for people who aren't in a place to just go make a game themselves.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Stahlseele wrote:That kind of Racism is so out of style with the new Races for REAL racial difference, not just skin color and religion . . .
Is it racism at all, if it's based on religion? O.o
"You gonna dorf me outta my hard earned creds?"

Wait, do Shadowrun dwarves have goldlust too?
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Trying Shadowrung Unlimited atm.
But no idea how you would be able to play an Decker from start of the game.

I cheated the Char. from Dragonfall into it, so I'm allready good at fighting and try to get the money to get good at matrix stuff.

I'm a sad Panda, that the Totems of Dragonfall are not into the UGC's...
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
codeGlaze
Duke

Post by codeGlaze »

Korwin wrote:I'm a sad Panda, that the Totems of Dragonfall are not into the UGC's...
That might be because most UGCs were made before Dragonfall?

I'm running a Decker/Rigger, what'd you end up with?
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

codeGlaze wrote:
Korwin wrote:I'm a sad Panda, that the Totems of Dragonfall are not into the UGC's...
That might be because most UGCs were made before Dragonfall?

I'm running a Decker/Rigger, what'd you end up with?
In Dragonfall?
Heavy Cybered Streetsam, with Summoning (but without Spirit Control) using the creator totem.
I think cyberware doesnt affect summoned spirits ...
Last edited by Korwin on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

So there's Shadowrun Returns, Dragonfall, and Hong Kong. Do they all play basically the same, any particular one recommended to start off with?
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Same Engine, no big changes, basically the same game just different Stories.
SRR is a good starting point, i got frustrated in Dragonfall and stopped playing it because i just for the life of me could not manage to get through the AI cellar mission . .
Started Hong Kong and stopped playing because it just was more of the same to me.
If you can get it for cheap, buy the collection.
Sadly, it is way too oversimplified in my eyes.
If you have the computational capabilities of a modern computer at hand, then making a game use the full SR3 Ruleset is a must in my mind . .

Otherwise, if you want a game kinda like that but in my eyes just better, try Wasteland 2.
Or, hell, the Steam or GOG Versions of Fallout, Fallout2 and Fallout Tactics <.<

Seriously, why they thought not implementing a stealth system into SRR or Wasteland 2 would be a good idea is simply beyond me . .
No sneaking, no pickpocketing, no nothing. Not even cracking locks open etc. <.<
Last edited by Stahlseele on Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

SRR is enjoyable, but the story is something that has been in so many adventures/novels/etc. that it lacks some punch and it's clear that some corners have been cut.

In my opinion (and from what I've read the opinion of many people), Dragonfall is better. Better story, better structure, more variation in the game play...

I still haven't played HK.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Not sure wether or not that changed in Dragonfall already, but at least in Hong Kong you can't actually change the equipment of the other NPCs you can have with you like you could in SRR.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

K
King

Post by K »

Dragonfall is probably the best story. I can remember every bit in a way that the other two don't seem to do.

Hong Kong is nice. It feels like another, lesser, Dragonfall. The ghoul playable character is pretty amazing because of the various story consequences.

SRR is just decent.

Wasteland 2 lost me pretty quickly. I got pretty tired of scouring maps for poorly-placed quest items and the combat is tedious.

There is this thing where I think all the new isometric games from the last few years are just... sad. I mean, I think the writers are suffering from low-grade depression or something because all of these settings have no joy in them at all.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

K wrote:There is this thing where I think all the new isometric games from the last few years are just... sad. I mean, I think the writers are suffering from low-grade depression or something because all of these settings have no joy in them at all.
Including both of the recent-ish "It's Shadowrun but it isn't called Shadowrun" games that play in almost the exact same way. Although to be fair, that in turn plays a lot like the tactical action parts of X-Com, complete with even having the same little shield image for how much cover you get.

I like that lots of people are making isometric tactical games, that's awesome, and going for "It's basically Shadowrun", you could do a lot worse. But I agree that there's something missing from them that leaves them feeling incomplete, and leaves you feeling like the creators really needed to get on the happy pills.

Hong Kong is indeed good, though it has a few weird difficulty spikes where you can sleep through a chunk, then suddenly one little bit of a mission is super hard, and then it goes back to normal. Indeed even the first "We're getting shot at" thing can be weirdly hard for some characters.

I agree that for custom content, you want to play Nightmare Harvest. I remember playing A Stitch in Time but I cannot remember anything else about it other than the name. Shadowrun Unlimited isn't terrible if you want to go with the "Start as a starting character, then play endless sort-of-proc-gen short missions and get big pools of Karma and Gear" approach, but it doesn't have much in the way of a story or interesting NPCs.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Koumei wrote:Including both of the recent-ish "It's Shadowrun but it isn't called Shadowrun"
What are they called/What are you talking about?
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

*hazards a guess*
One of them is probably Sattelite Reign.
The other i am not sure about and would like to know as well O.o
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Been playing SR: HK, enjoying it. The companion characters are likeable and the flashback choice with Duncan was neat. Still...

For being in the 'super densely populated megacity of Hong Kong' and venturing into the 'super mega most densely populated Kowloon' it feels very sparse. Walking from point A to B feels less like 'exploring a city with lots of stuff!' and more like filler. It's not terrible but ...as far as dystopian junkyard cities go, the pacing of FF7's Midgar felt a lot more 'lively', life is crappy but people still have hobbies, have fun, start families, etc. It doesn't feel like an Asian city when there's no babies running around and geriatrics chillin'.

The lack of food stalls/restaurants to interact with is also a bummer. Made a melee adept, been having fun beating cops to death with my bare hands. Now I gotta go find some ninja stars.

There is this thing where I think all the new isometric games from the last few years are just... sad. I mean, I think the writers are suffering from low-grade depression or something because all of these settings have no joy in them at all.
Well today hearing news on climate change, ongoing forever wars, terrorism, overfishing, and the looming trump presidency has made speculating the future as bleak as ever.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Koumei wrote:
K wrote:There is this thing where I think all the new isometric games from the last few years are just... sad. I mean, I think the writers are suffering from low-grade depression or something because all of these settings have no joy in them at all.
Including both of the recent-ish "It's Shadowrun but it isn't called Shadowrun" games that play in almost the exact same way. Although to be fair, that in turn plays a lot like the tactical action parts of X-Com, complete with even having the same little shield image for how much cover you get.

I like that lots of people are making isometric tactical games, that's awesome, and going for "It's basically Shadowrun", you could do a lot worse. But I agree that there's something missing from them that leaves them feeling incomplete, and leaves you feeling like the creators really needed to get on the happy pills.

Hong Kong is indeed good, though it has a few weird difficulty spikes where you can sleep through a chunk, then suddenly one little bit of a mission is super hard, and then it goes back to normal. Indeed even the first "We're getting shot at" thing can be weirdly hard for some characters.

I agree that for custom content, you want to play Nightmare Harvest. I remember playing A Stitch in Time but I cannot remember anything else about it other than the name. Shadowrun Unlimited isn't terrible if you want to go with the "Start as a starting character, then play endless sort-of-proc-gen short missions and get big pools of Karma and Gear" approach, but it doesn't have much in the way of a story or interesting NPCs.
I think what makes them feel incomplete is the lackluster combat system that has all the depth of a shallow grave. I've played through all three games by just running to the enemies and hitting them in the face, because there's basically nothing else to do.

Story-wise, Dragonfall is probably the best one, though the bar is set pretty low. What disappointed me is that all three stories are about big bad magic thing comming to conquer the world, which is the same damn story Shadowrun has been running since the first edition. I also didn't like the Bull cameo in Hong Kong, and the end boss in Hong Kong was rather boring as a fight and as a character.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

found out today that Duncan can subdue stunned enemies for a non lethal way to eliminate foes. He seems to be the only character that can do that though.