[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 64(?)-Night of the Necromancer

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Who do we want to play as?

Anvus Ravalan, Nightsbane & Remorseless Hunter
No votes
Evrain Peredur, the Zombie Killer
17%
Isolde Laodegan, Shield Maiden of Libra
83%
Create our own character
No votes

Total votes: 6

SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:There's a series of books called the Virtual Reality Adventures; they don't use dice, they just check to see if you have certain abilities and codewords and the adventure proceeds from there.
I've run one of those here:

http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=55626

I probably will run another in the future.

Can you elaborate what you mean by high-powered? Not sure I understand.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:What is the most high-powered gamebook you've seen?
Assuming this question is for anyone...

The first thing that leaps to mind are the Grandmaster entries in the Lone Wolf series, where the fluff is pretty high-powered, but it's undermined a bit because the actual adventures are for the most part very similar to the things you've been doing all series.

The highest actual power books are probably the sci-fi ones where you have a spaceship. Very few fantasy settings (let alone protagonists) go as high-power as a goddamn spaceship with matching-scale weapons.
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

SGamerz wrote:
Silent Wayfarer wrote:There's a series of books called the Virtual Reality Adventures; they don't use dice, they just check to see if you have certain abilities and codewords and the adventure proceeds from there.

I was going to say "where you, the player, are considered a massive badass within the game world", but then I realized that it was a very subjective kind of thing. So I retract that question.
angelfromanotherpin wrote:
Silent Wayfarer wrote:What is the most high-powered gamebook you've seen?
Assuming this question is for anyone...

The first thing that leaps to mind are the Grandmaster entries in the Lone Wolf series, where the fluff is pretty high-powered, but it's undermined a bit because the actual adventures are for the most part very similar to the things you've been doing all series.
I like those; Lone Wolf is basically set up as the chosen hero of the Sun and he actually does tell the God of Evil and assorted champions to fuck right off at the tip of a sword.
The highest actual power books are probably the sci-fi ones where you have a spaceship. Very few fantasy settings (let alone protagonists) go as high-power as a goddamn spaceship with matching-scale weapons.
I've never actually played one of those, any examples?

And on a tangent, has anyone played the Redeemer! book from Way of the Tiger? It's supposed to take place after the shitshow of an ending that was the 6th book.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

...I did not know they'd done a book 7. I'd heard they'd done a Book 0, but 7? I'ma have to check that out ASAP.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Silent Wayfarer wrote:
SGamerz wrote:

I was going to say "where you, the player, are considered a massive badass within the game world", but then I realized that it was a very subjective kind of thing. So I retract that question.
Well, by that definition, I would pick Lone Wolf, too. He's seemingly the one human that is the closest thing to a god in his world. Not just that, but apparently he's success or failure not only determines the fate of his own world, but is in fact the deciding factor whether Good or Evil will triumph in ALL the universes (because Magnamund was apparently the one remaining world where the contest between Naar and Kai was still unfinished, and Lone Wolf is the champion of that last world).
Silent Wayfarer
Knight-Baron

Post by Silent Wayfarer »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:...I did not know they'd done a book 7. I'd heard they'd done a Book 0, but 7? I'ma have to check that out ASAP.
http://www.megara-entertainment.com/

Book 0 is Ninja! Book 7 is Redeemer!

I discovered WOTT when I was like, 10, and it was the first gamebook series I ever played. So I was pretty excited to learn that there was a proper end to the series, not as excited when the price tag is 39 euros before shipping.
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:...I did not know they'd done a book 7. I'd heard they'd done a Book 0, but 7? I'ma have to check that out ASAP.
And then may be you can finally run the LP on both Books 6 & 7 here! :biggrin:
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

SGamerz wrote:And then may be you can finally run the LP on both Books 6 & 7 here! :biggrin:
At least one review tells me that Inferno got a re-edit to be less ass. So I will look at that one too and definitely consider it.