So what do you guys like about Star Trek?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Archers Enterprise?
Typical Pre-Quel bullshit <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I only found Enterprise watchable because of Scott Bakula. I fucking love that guy. He instills in me warm fuzzy feelings that I don't fully understand.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

I just imagine that Enterprise is just another season of Quantum Leap and at the end Sam finally made it home.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:So, I finally saw the Gazelle speech. It was awful, but the amazing thing is that it's awful in a variety of subtle ways that makes it hard to express your revulsion succinctly. Anyone want to take a stab at it? Or how about just some Enterprise hate in general?
The Gazelle speech is mostly completely terrible because of context. If he were using it as a motivational speech to get someone who had fucked up to go back to work, no one would care. Instead, he's saying it to a Vulcan who thinks that humans are immature and have no business being in space despite having not been involved in any obvious screw-up this time.

So basically Archer just comes out and says "the worst possible things you think or even suspect about us are true and there's dick all we are going to do about it." and for some reason that makes things OK? Archer doesn't refute or even explain away any of the criticism, even though the criticism was based on something factually incorrect.

It was a bog standard Trek Captain Speech, but it didn't address the situation at all. It was like they just had a bunch of these things on a shelf and popped one out whenever Archer's mouth needed to move and they never noticed that this particular one happened to be making literally the worst possible point for the point in the story it was supposed to go. It's not just that it's clunky and irrelevant dialog, it's that it exposes a layer of formulaic hack writing to allow this particular clunky dialog to even happen. It's like going to print with a boom mic in the camera field, but this time you can see the writers putting together vaguely Trekish dialog together with a big chart and some percentile dice.

-Username17
Concise Locket
Apprentice

Post by Concise Locket »

Enterprise Season 4 was what the show should have been out the gate. Trekkie fan-service wrapped in an interesting story wrapped in Trekkie fan-service. But it was too late in the game. Still, "In a Mirror, Darkly" remains one of my favorite Trek episodes.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Why do some people think that season 3 of ENT is better than season 4? While this is a minority viewpoint, it's not a fringe one either.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Watching TNG season 1 episode 7, the one where Wesley fucks everything up for Ryker's shore leave.