Megaman: Battle Network

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Shrieking Banshee
Journeyman

Megaman: Battle Network

Post by Shrieking Banshee »

Ah the early 2000s, when the internet could do anything. And thats when this gem of a Videogame series came out.

In my opinion one of the best...RPGs? CCG? Action? Games I ever played. Where random encounters where resolved in less then a second, but longer fights could still be deadly intense and prolonged.

Its essentially Megaman: BUT IN THE INTERNET! Like Tron but Even sillier if thats even possible.

It also had rocking 16bit (?) soundtracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUbs7eiZZEs

Man playing though the series again its just wonderful in how silly the internet is.

Megaman Help! The Alpha version of the internet is alive and its going to eat the new internet!

Megaman Help! A bunch of glitches and a antivirus program evolved into cybergods and where locked away deep under...internet? Now they are inside robot bodies and those robot bodies scream so powerfully it echoes through cyberspace and destroys hardware!

And the answer of how it could be done was always "Iunno. Its the internet". This world is essentially My Little Navi: The Internet is magic.

Anybody else have fond memories? I never played the DS sequel series but I didn't get a good impression of it in previews.
shau
Knight-Baron

Post by shau »

I loved this series. Even after they tried to kill it with 4. Were the DS Starfoce whatever games any good? Never really got into those.
Shrieking Banshee
Journeyman

I think they where very similar to the original games, but not as good because they removed 2/3s of your movement space (Even if you get a block button)
Hadanelith
Master

Post by Hadanelith »

Star Force was okay but not great (speaking for the first game only, never bothered with the rest). They sacrificed WAY too much to let them do 3D graphics, and it shows. Also, the world is even more bonkers. I'd say to just enjoy the BN games. They are a fucking treasure, and I love them, and I hate that they stopped making them. And then they stopped making much Megaman at all. And there was sadness.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Hadanelith wrote:And then they stopped making much Megaman at all. And there was sadness.
It is well established that Capcom hates money.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Shrieking Banshee
Journeyman

Hadanelith wrote:Star Force was okay but not great (speaking for the first game only, never bothered with the rest). They sacrificed WAY too much to let them do 3D graphics, and it shows.
Its also weird because the art design is still really good in the BN games.

Like it still stands up today.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Of the IP's Capcom has to turn into a money grabbin' freemium mobile game, Battle Network is one that would take my money
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

There's a pretty good let's play series in the LP archive.
Hadanelith
Master

Post by Hadanelith »

OgreBattle wrote:Of the IP's Capcom has to turn into a money grabbin' freemium mobile game, Battle Network is one that would take my money
As much as the idea burns, I would play that, yes.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Hadanelith wrote:
OgreBattle wrote:Of the IP's Capcom has to turn into a money grabbin' freemium mobile game, Battle Network is one that would take my money
As much as the idea burns, I would play that, yes.
If it became anything like Megaman XOver I would say fuck no.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Shrieking Banshee
Journeyman

Problem with F2P games is that their game design is encouraged backwards:

In regular games, the game is good, you buy it, the Developers get money. So Motive is Good=Money!

In F2P Games the game has to be bad enough, and just annoying and difficult enough that you want to skip all the busywork, to buy the crap. So motive is Boring=Money!

Can you imagine?

"Want to activate Cybeast Mode? Well either collect "Cyberhearts" every 1/100 Virus fights (Limit 1/Day), OR grow them in our Real time heart "Farm. Only 27 hours for A Cyberheart, or 3 hours for a "Longsword *". Wanna speed it up? Buy our "Cyberjuice! Only 2.99$ for a pack of 30!"

And every chips price is inflated 10 fold (Want 20,000 Zennies? Only 1.99!" and the random drops are decreased by 80%.

F2P is the game design equivalent of cholesterol in your bloodstream that grows more and more close to giving you a stroke every time an asshole plays a F2P Game. That includes me for the 10$ I gave Plants Vs Zombies 2 (Never again!)
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Na if it's boring, why should anybody buy things for it?
Path of Exile seems to be doing fine and it doesn't do what you say F2P games do...
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Shrieking Banshee
Journeyman

Some Games have Ethics. Do you think Capcom has that much sense? Considering their other micro transaction games?

99.99999% of other micro transaction games don't operate like that. The idea is to make them interesting enough, then make certain objects just necessary enough for your progress, and put them under a timer, or make them a very unlikely drop so a person could want to buy it in a moment of desperation.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Well yes, but the game needs to be non boring first, right?
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Shrieking Banshee
Journeyman

Correct. I may have used the wrong term: No game is ever boring. Most of the time its frustrating. Because something can be fun and frustrating,