Monster taming in D&D

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Monster taming in D&D

Post by OgreBattle »

How did different editions of D&D handle taming adult monsters, or raising monsters from birth to be obedient?
Lokey
Journeyman

Post by Lokey »

Varies by edition.

Usually they're equipment, you buy em :)

Druids, rangers and most casters get something like that. I think you're talking animal handling and skill tricks, then feat/class interactions to change what you're allowed to get.
spongeknight
Master

Post by spongeknight »

In 3.5, the raising monsters part is very easy: if they are animal intelligence, you use the Handle Animal skill to rear the young and teach them tricks. If they are above animal intelligence, fuck off.

Taming adult monsters has no rules as far as I am aware, other than shit like Dragon Leadership or Command Undead whatever that gives you a single specific power over a specific monster type.
A Man In Black wrote:I do not want people to feel like they can never get rid of their Guisarme or else they can't cast Evard's Swarm Of Black Tentacleguisarmes.
Voss wrote:Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

The upcoming ACKS book Lairs & Encounters apparently has
A complete system for taming and training monsters, with details on the lifespan, roles, tricks, trained and untrained value, supply cost, training period, and the trainability modifier of every monster in the game.
I don't have it, though.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
shau
Knight-Baron

Post by shau »

Oh you poor bastard.

I wrote an...excessive treatise on the subject for 3.5. Looks like it got wiped out when WotC burned down their forums as part of their plan to further slide into irrelevance, but someone modified it and hosted it here http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=1300