[Non-US] News That Makes You laugh/cry/neither...

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

I'm willing to bet that those groups have existed before, but weren't very active. Now they have "an excuse" and a large number of non-natives to be dicks to.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

America did not become the non racist non sexist one just because all of europe is going that way as well.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Stahlseele wrote:America did not become the non racist non sexist one just because all of europe is going that way as well.
Well, it's certainly a different type of racism. Americans conservatives are paranoid about potential terrorist plots, but even the most diehard anti-islamic republican is going to admit that the vast majority of Muslims aren't terrorists. They're just going to say that it's better to be safe than sorry.

And no one is insane enough to play the "they're after our wimmin" card. I mean, there's the governor of Maine, who is an idiot, but he was accusing black men of seduction, not rape. The whole thing were you accuse an entire race of being uncontrollable rapist hasn't flown lynching negroes went out of style.

And yet, when Americans point out how insane the "most immigrants are rapists" card is, we're called rape deniers. And these guys, bizarrely, at the same time as they're using feminist rhetoric against their detractors, use absurdly misogynistic memes against feminists.

I mean, dudes, make up your fucking minds. either your anti-rape, or you're pro-rape. You can't just flip-flop depending on who your railing against.

And there are groups in Germany, too, apparently.
http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/01 ... ss-europe/
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Different kind of Racism?
Is america not that close to voting Trump for President any more?
The guy who allegedly sleeps with a copy of Mein Kampf next to his bed?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Stahlseele wrote: Is america not that close to voting Trump for President any more?
The guy who allegedly sleeps with a copy of Mein Kampf next to his bed?
Betting markets still place his odds at 4-1 against. Hillary is still the favorite, with 10-11 odds.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Ah. And i heard at work yesterday that Bernie Sanders is appearantly gaining ground. Will wonders never cease?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

hyzmarca wrote:I don't know if I'm more dismayed by that, or by the fact that when some people point out that forming neo-Nazi groups to beat up immigrants is not a healthy response to what happened in Calogne, Conservative Europeans respond by posting memes about how feminists love Muslim cock.
Sadly, Germany has basically called for censorship on all discussion even of actual real problems if it could be construed as a racist thing. So when the Cologne thing happened, or the large amounts of rape in immigration centres (you can tell who sees a real problem and who is just racist here, because the racists don't care what happens to brown women), there was basically a blanket ban on talking about that. Suddenly every racist feels vindicated because "the government is silencing us with their secret agenda of ?????" and "I can only get the truth in my special facebook group of really racist people".
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Red Archon
Journeyman

Post by Red Archon »

As a Finn: it's a huge embarrassment. And it's only going to get worse before we get rid of our pseudo-Libertarian government and start actually fixing the economy. Mark my words, there's going to be corpses.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

"Who would little Aylan grow up to be? A butt grabber in Germany"

Also Austria has suspended the Shengen agreement to bring pasport and visa control on the borders with other Shengen countries.
Last edited by Longes on Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Koumei wrote:Sadly, Germany has basically called for censorship on all discussion even of actual real problems if it could be construed as a racist thing. So when the Cologne thing happened, or the large amounts of rape in immigration centres (you can tell who sees a real problem and who is just racist here, because the racists don't care what happens to brown women), there was basically a blanket ban on talking about that. Suddenly every racist feels vindicated because "the government is silencing us with their secret agenda of ?????" and "I can only get the truth in my special facebook group of really racist people".
It isn't just Germany.
This was all over the news 2 days ago
[url=http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35285086 wrote:BBC[/url]]"Sometimes we do not really say how things are because we believe it may play into the hands of the Sweden Democrats," Mr Agren told Dagens Nyheter, referring to Sweden's right-wing anti-immigration party.
- Edit: wrong links
Last edited by ishy on Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

By the way, that picture?
Remember the french satire magazine that got attacked and the whole world showed solidarity for them?
Charlie Hebdo? Yeah, that's their creation.
And they have been getting a whole lot of flak for it as well.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

And they should. Freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences or freedom to have people agree with you when you say horrible things. Living in a civilized society means that people can say horrible things and not have the government confiscate their property or have people shoot them in the face. But people can and should expect to be boycotted when they make jokes about how dead children were probably going to be rapists.

-Username17
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

Charlie Hebdo has always been about provocation.

In France, when everybody said "Je suis Charlie", many people who had actually read Charlie Hebdo before felt necessary to make the point that they supported freedom of expression but not necessarily that they condoned what they printed.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I don't think the cartoonist is a garden-variety racist. Rather, the cartoon is supposed to satirize the people who deny entry to refugees and then proceed to cry over dead refugee children (and also, as a bonus, to provoke hypocritical racist moralists into revealing their hypocrisy). Charlie Hebdo isn't particularly concerned about appealing to the wide public and increasing their circulation numbers -- if they did, they'd print listicles and cat memes.

So their regular readers see the cartoon and say, "Yup, the anti-refugee people are hypocritical fuckers."

Meanwhile, outsiders see the cartoon and (hopefully) say, "Holy shit, the author is racist! I disapprove! We as a society disapprove! No matter the current troubles, we should welcome refugees, for the sake of the children!" And that's fine, too.

And some people say, "Baww, how offensive, these people deserve to get shot! Freedom of speech only applies to speech which doesn't offend me personally!"

Now, it can be argued that drawing a cartoon which is intended to insult people, especially brown people, is racist, or that it does more harm than good. But it's a different sort of racism than if McNaughton drew it.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

I have to disagree here. Here's another example of 'insightful' satire by Charlie Hebdo:
Le Pen. The candidate most like you!
Last edited by Longes on Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Longes wrote:I have to disagree here. Here's another example of 'insightful' satire by Charlie Hebdo:
Le Pen. The candidate most like you!
To be fair, Le Pen is president of the National Front, so it's more like Charlie Hebdo is intentionally horribly offensive to everyone, rather than that they're anti-immigrant.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, Charlie Hebdo is sort of like a mix of Mad Magazine from my dad's youth (when they published a list of slang terms for various ethnicities. He only told me about the scottish one, Plaidass, but I'm sure there was worse) and South Park. They think that because they satirize everyone it's ok to print horrible racist caricatures of jews and arab muslims.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Prak wrote:Yeah, Charlie Hebdo is sort of like a mix of Mad Magazine from my dad's youth (when they published a list of slang terms for various ethnicities. He only told me about the scottish one, Plaidass, but I'm sure there was worse) and South Park. They think that because they satirize everyone it's ok to print horrible racist caricatures of jews and arab muslims.
Makes sense to me. That's how they get by isn't it? Make the most shockingly inappropriate thing they can so they can get people to look at their stuff.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
ckafrica
Duke

Post by ckafrica »

I've always seen Hebdo's work as an ad absurdum view of everything. The suggestion that the kid would have become a sexual predator is about out racisting the racists, saying what is in their heads. I don't find Hebdo's work particularly funny but its pretty clear to me that they are playing on racist views rather than espousing racist views
The internet gave a voice to the world thus gave definitive proof that the world is mostly full of idiots.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

This doesn't explain their extremely racist caricature depictions of arabs and jews.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

Yeah it's not really clear what part is provocation, what part is satire and what part is racism (though probably dressed up as "I'm not racist but...").

As far as I'm concerned, I think that there are better ways to be provocative and better topics to tackle.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Apparantly, everything about the 80s is comming back.

http://www.thelocal.de/20160119/evidenc ... r-20-years

The Red Army Faction robbed a money van.

Though, police think that this was a retirement plan, rather than an attempt to spark a communist revolution.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

Prak wrote:They think that because they satirize everyone it's ok to print horrible racist caricatures of jews and arab muslims.
Because everyone knows those groups are exempt from being visually insulted, while all other insulting images of ethnics groups are A-ok. :roll:

What you just did is worse than what they did. Immeasurably so.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Occluded Sun wrote:What you just did is worse than what they did. Immeasurably so.
Are you sure it's immeasurable and you're not just bad at math?
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

This exchange briefly gave me the idea for a sitcom featuring a sassy Jeffrey Dahmer and his straight man roommate Greg (not straight as in heterosexual, straight as in the trope), but then I realized that's basically Llamas with Hats.

"Jeeeffrey! You can't just keep murdering male prostitutes!"

"Oh, so it'd be okay if I murdered women? I'm disappointed in you, Greg. I may be a picky eater, but at least I'm not a sexist asshole."