[Tomebrew]AcidBlades whatever of Dread and Terrors

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

AcidBlades
Journeyman

[Tomebrew]AcidBlades whatever of Dread and Terrors

Post by AcidBlades »

I haven't had much luck dicking around in roll20 to get me a good game going. So I would wish to host a game with y'all. I only had 2 one-shots under my belt, so it'll be a rather tricky ride. However I do look forward to playing with y'all. The setting is just some generic stuff. Maybe Greyhawk or some shit. I'm not overly familiar with the setting or anything though. I'll probably work in the foundation of a few ideas that I have in my skull. Though that will require me founding some gods for the clerics to worship and a rather illusion time of frame for everything.

Considering my terrible luck. I decided to take fate into my own hands and to create a game for myself to rule over. I will either use roll20 or generic grids as a map for everyone to use. If generic maps are in use. I will require the trust that I will handle your dice rolls if Invisible Castle is down.

Character generation rules:
Character Level 6 using Red Rob rules for magic items. I don't care about crap like ropes or whatever. So just assume that your character possesses them. They also get 1,000 gold worth of whatever wands, potions and shit you desire.
The tome classes in the .7 tome PDF may be used. Everything else will require a review from everyone else. My vote is worth 2 though. Assume most Alternative Class Features are kosher though. If they are from 3.5.
Spell Compendium spells are of use.
Certain good (quality) from 3.5 prestige classes are in use. I might even lower the requirements to get to some of them. If the requirement is unreasonable.
Characters are built as such. 36-noncumulative point buy with all stats starting at 8. So 18/18/18/14/8/8 is merely a sample of whatever possible stat arrangements that is possible. Any Attributes modifiers that a race possesses are washed away. So Tieflings, Orcs and Halflings equally share the attribute bonuses a human possesses.
All alignments may exist, but make sure that you don't cause too much interplayer drama because of roleplaying reasons.
Dicking around with more than 1 or 2 pets is verboten. I also will not allow Command. Neither the Monster Tamer class. Any instances of any gaing a leadership-like feat is banned, and is instead another TOME feat.
Clerics can just pick whatever combination of Domains they want. I don't care.
http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56277 Kaelik's Skill Groups are going to be in use. Learn how to use them well. As y'all will get more skill points in the long run.

I am admittedly not 100% confident about this. Oh well.
Last edited by AcidBlades on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pixels
Knight

Re: [Tomebrew]AcidBlades whatever of Dread and Terrors

Post by Pixels »

AcidBlades wrote:So Tieflings, Orcs and Halflings equally share the attribute bonuses a human possesses.
Which is to say, none? Or do humans get the Pathfinder choose-your-own +2 bonus?

In either case, color me interested. I'll whip up a human soulborn.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I think Pixels brings up an important issue, without attribute bonuses, there is basically no reason for anyone to not be human in a tome game. Humans get Fiendish Dalliance for free instead of having to pay a feat for it. Other +0 LA races get something between diddly and squat.

Basically, if you aren't a Gnomish illusionist, a halfling rogue, and Elven Generalist Wizard, or a Lesser Air Gensai who stands inside poisonous clouds, you basically are a human. And humans might be better than all of those.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
AcidBlades
Journeyman

Post by AcidBlades »

Good point. Humans are still pretty alright either way.

So I'll just get rid of that then. Humans are how they are typically in a tome game, and everyone else has their own etiological stat attributes.
Last edited by AcidBlades on Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Some very basic idea of what we are dealing with might be appreciated campaign wise. If we are starting on another plane, or being called in my some ruler to do a quest or if we happen to be in a location when something happens that we investigate, it might give us some idea of what character to make, rather than making one completely blind.

Also, how do you feel about immediate actino defenses, is this going to be play by post?

Because my current idea for a character is going to use immediate action defenses, but if that is going to destroy the game I'd like to know.
Last edited by Kaelik on Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I'm interested. Not sure what I want to play yet though.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Sedek, the Aasimar Soulborn.

A righteous shining warrior with a silver tongue and not enough brains to stop using it. I have some backstory ideas, but like Kaelik I wouldn't mind a hint or two about the sort of campaign you have in mind.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Pixels wrote:Sedek, the Aasimar Soulborn.

A righteous shining warrior with a silver tongue and not enough brains to stop using it. I have some backstory ideas, but like Kaelik I wouldn't mind a hint or two about the sort of campaign you have in mind.
A righteous shining warrior who is badtouched so that he can have level inappropriate daze effect DCs while having level inappropriate saves because Soulborn is the worst made class since the PHB Monk... that's new, someone only copies the same fucking stupid soulborn character sheet into every fucking game.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Hey Acid, here is my modified wind sphere:

Wind:
Ability: Immune to own SLAs of this sphere and their effects and Listen is always a class skill with no listen penalties from wind effects.
1: Wings of Cover (flavored as wind burst)
3: Wind Wall
5: Sleet Storm
7: Wings of Flurry (more wind)
9: Control Winds
11: Defenestrating Sphere
13: Control Weather
15: Whirlwind
17: Summon Elemental Monolith (Air only)(no concentration)(only one at a time)
19: Greater Whirlwind

EDT: Modified to be a realish sphere, under the vague hope that people will not Break the RNG in half.
Last edited by Kaelik on Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:23 am, edited 4 times in total.

Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

I've actually never played in a game with a soulborn before - admittedly, I've only been in a handful of Tome games that I wasn't running. Anywho, if you think it will be disruptive I'm hardly married to the concept. I'd be totally be interested in trying a Restraint-based Spherelock or an Elemental Siphon or something.

I like the sphere. Bit on the weak side, but there's always room for improvement.
AcidBlades
Journeyman

Post by AcidBlades »

I am currently working on the EXACT details of what is going on. However the basic gist of it is, that you are outside the legal realms of a rather expansive, and somewhat tyrannical empire. Although the empire's supposed goals are to bring all within it's lawful jurisdiction, they realize that there must be at least some sort of loose collection of individuals that will help them bring victory to their grasps. As such, it is their and your responsibility to essentially act like spies, extra judicial assassins (Though some groups are little more than groups of bandits that simply don't raid their territory), or just regular ass spelunkers that help smuggle ancient artifacts from tombs long ago forgotten from other territories. Most of the time, the more curious and less directly effectual artifacts are The empire itself always had a rather rocky reputation throughout the lands, particularly with respect of the dragon empires and kingdoms. Which comprises the majority of kingdoms that simply aren't vectors and puppets to outsiders from the planes. Who they swear are their mortal enemies.

For whatever reason. You are either newly imported slaves, hired from other territories, hired from this territory or any other conceivable reason that at least possesses a modicum of verisimilitude. Work for these people for at least this very moment.

I mean it's not the most inspired stuff, but that's what I currently have in mind right now. I'll get all the names worked out, and a base over head map.

If you don't like this idea. Feel free to criticize it. I want to make a game that everyone can enjoy. It's just that my idea bank is rather low, or might sound cliche to someone who isn't me. Who is rather sheltered from the world. I am admittedly not good with a sales pitch.

HP is Full at first level than average.
The immediate action thing is kosher.
Also even though "Tome PDF" is allowed. I'm going to ask you not to play a Soulborn. Those numbers are just sort of ridiculous.
Fire Mage is also banned for the same RNG problems.
Any classes that anyone feels are broken should be put under a review. However I think that playing a Spherelock or Elemental Siphon is kosher.
If everyone possess a roll20 account. Then I will create the maps and do everything else there. Including the rolls there. If not, then all I will do there is roll the dice, to have a way for y'all to know that I'm not fudging rolls. Not that I necessarily NEED to do that, because I have no motivation to do so. However if you don't trust me, then I'll do that.

I have no idea what universe you live in, where the Restraint Sphere isn't excellent.
Wind Sphere is Fine.
Last edited by AcidBlades on Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

I was referring to Kaelik's improved Air sphere. It was... Soulborn-esque.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Last edited by Pixels on Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=645079

Here's what I've got so far. I'll probably slap on an LA 0 template of some sort.
AcidBlades
Journeyman

Post by AcidBlades »

Rad's character is fine as it is.

The Revenant Template is something that a DM gives you after your character fucked up from something particularly stupid on the DM or luck end of the deal, or if you simply want to keep that character for whatever reason. It's also typically given to warrior types. I'm going to need for you to not use the Revenant Template. If you could choose the revenant template from the git-go then it is just flat out unbalanced.

The reason why I allowed Hellbred was simply because it wasn't offensive to me and didn't cause me a headache from how unbalanced it is from all of the other options, and the Duskling in itself is a mediocre race.

Also I'm not going to allow the Unseelie Fey template.

Anyways I apologize for being so passive about that, but I was ambivalent about it until now. Having about a total of 10-12 bonus HP and dumping CON without any sort of downside is unbalanced. Nevermind the whole host of immunities that you get.
Last edited by AcidBlades on Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

Revenant gone. I actually have mildly more HP with a Con score, just lower off-stats.

Would you be fine with a minor magic item that gave Trapfinding?
AcidBlades
Journeyman

Post by AcidBlades »

Sure? Why not.
AcidBlades
Journeyman

Post by AcidBlades »

I've just written up a bunch of rambling texts. Just to contextualize where y'all are. The jerkoffs that are hiring you is the orange fucks. You'll be sent on a mission to try to infiltrate one of the brown fucks holding over what is the remnants of the capital. Mostly due to all the undead activities that are going on, and other sorts of clusterfucks that happen. Feel free to criticize it, as again my feelings about my writings skills is rather crap at best. If this is okay. Then we'll just rock and roll there.

Also y'all can just go do whatever. Though I do advise against taking on the main leaders early, as they are considerably more powerful than what most nations are in DnD games. Everything else is kind of a crapshoot.

Distribution of Races:
http://i.imgur.com/kG9e58u.png

Climates and Geogrpahy:
http://i.imgur.com/Rgu6YHT.png

Parenthesis indicates name

The continent is about the size of Australia and is directly off west to the greater world. Though the hurricanes impede travel and knowledge of other landmasses are particularly foreign. It takes a great deal of magic to cross the hurricanes that constantly ravish the very seas themselves and as such, the coasts high and low seasons are especially pronounced. Even casting greater teleport from one continent to another is a shakey proposition.

Note that “Tiefling” also refer to the pretty devil/demonic succubi-derived aasimar. It’s just a national way of saying evil-derived outsider/humanoid mixture. Visa Versa with the Aasimar.

Pink: (Col Amena) A land ruled by the degenerate spawn of various sorts of lowlly to highly sorts of evil outsiders. A crime-ridden hellhole where various rebellions are currently taking place. Many of these revolutionaries are rather vile, but a few fight for good causes. Just a tiny minority. The exports of the reason include various sorts of alchemical ingredients used in various Necromantic potions, a decent level of metallurgical advancements and an equally decent level of arcane enlightenment across the land with deep pockets of rich infernal devotion across various religious sectors. Most other races have a harsh time, particularly Orcs who are abused and used as slaves. Half-Orcs are routinely experimented on with more mentally stimulating experiments. The lack of scientific rigor in these experiments are lacking however, and it is not an unknown fact within various magi circles. Ruled by the cleric Bone Devil Descended-Aasimar Cleric queen Diripos Flos.

Brown: (Dai Tera) Territorial dwarves that possess an average level of technological, arcane enlightenment. More like a various coalition of dwarven clans that fight among everyone and even themselves with their berserker fury. Despite the pretense of dwarven culture, the dwarves have not really produced any sort of art, and due to the fact that they are on difficult terms with everyone outside of their clans hamper their development. The westernmost division is especially noticable as the pillars of massacre. Where it is said that vampires rest away from the sun, hiding away with their dark dwarven slaves. Where they rule with an iron fist. Yet these vampires are just as dwarven as regular dwarves. The dwarves are notable for their complete lack of the knowledge of the sea, and this lack tears the natural alignment of the region, where the unbalanced dwarven druids shaped the lands with earthen supremecy.

Orange: (Caelot) A broken land once ruled by tyrannical human masters, though this empire was corrupt an unusual level of arcane enlightenment was achieved in these lands, although at the cost of technological advancements most notably the windmill, lack of scientific method and even crop rotation cycles are things that are not bothered with. Because of the lack of pragmatism, the Caelot kingdom was easily taken over by swarms of dwarven berserkers and the fell dragon kingdom. As such due to such massacres, the humans that resided in the once expansive empire was turned into the slaves of dragons. Now the old remnants of this empire desires to return power into human hands, though many believe that this is an impossibility. It is frankly a shithole at the moment, with most of the cities turned to ruins and where people are forced to hide inside of the hills. Where the dragon guards swoop across the lands, looking for their enemies. There is no actual rulers for the kingdom, only bands of humans who have no converted to the rival kingdoms.

Red: (Laclorert) Dragon kingdoms that possess a good deal of superior steel compared to their neighbors. Due to the fact that they possess a great deal of arcane mastery, yet they often outright forbid the use of magic in the hands of individuals that are not sactioned by the dragon councils. Even the usage of crossbows are heavily regulated. Do not even dream of being able to pass through Laclorert with heavy swords and obvious signs of magic. Guards also patrol the streets, mostly on the look out for slaves and it is not unknown for guards to go out towards near-by villages and hunt for slaves. On the topic of slavery, only about 25% of the populace is slaves, instead of simply being serfs and abuse is rampant across the lands. Despite this fact, crime is just as common, and people are often forced to sacrifice their souls to gain even a tiniest glimmer of hope against their nigh-omnipotent oppressors. Even devils and demons join forces in an effort to wry dragon kind’s clasp from the lands. Yet they still stand strong, as a powerful force with an unusually high level of life expectancy of children, and the elderly are taken care of rather decently. Only the most trusted of Laclorert agents are transformed into dragonborn, and only in the cases that they feel would help the individual bring across their aims. Laclorert is largely ruled by a council of dragons. The numbers ranging from Chromatic to Metallic. Each dragon ruling over a different city, unique to their region. Yet they follow the laws present in the cities. Even the more chaotically ruled regions are under scrutiny.

Blue: (Laxonat) A hodgepodge of races reside in Laxonat, even foreign races not known to the continent are known to wash over here though the hurricanes are typically too deadly for most adventurers to survive in. Yet the dominant numbers of humans, dwarves and tiefling still prominent. It is said that every continent in the world actually possesses a “gate” to one another. Even across towards different lands. Is it any wonder that the planetouched desire to control the place? Ruled predominantly solely by the demons and ruled with a cruel, harsh hammer that could hardly even have the consistency of the ironclad rule of Col Amena. As such the land is as fractured as it is prosperous. With breakthroughs of all sorts of forbidden technologies and magecraft being held at the nation. Yet Laxonat’s official armies are faltering in a three-pronged war against it’s nations. Ruled by a despotic human King Sorcerer/Wizard Velvadorn Kosharm ultimate magus favored towards Wizard and the less powerful Queen Mystic Theurge Wizard/Ur Priest Lotani Kosharm

Gold: (Kos Lokonai Va) A machine empire that possesses the divine denizens of good. Yet despite this, the nation is under a massive long-standing war between the Laclorert empire and the Laxonat, with all the sources that they possess swiftly dwindling up. Non-Aasimar are not permitted to hold any sort of land, or property and as such a few Aasimar take it upon themselves to heavily tax the serfs that serve under them. Otherwise a rather unnoteworthy nation, ruled by a Silver Dragon Empress, known despising her own kind and how they operate with a council of Aasimar to keep her in check.

Purple: (Kesh Zatani) A lineage of rather bastardized elves from their high standing from ages ago. Exclusive domain of elves, the Kesh hunt down and even cannibalize non-elves that pass their territory. Known for their use of mage-assassins that infiltrate councils far beyond what other nations use. Hobgoblins in particular are treated particularly terribly, as they are devoured alive and then have their skulls flung across their borders. Despotic, iron-clad rule with Wild, Sea and Forest elves used as slave labour. With the High Elves ruling the nation, with the other elves merely sort of tolerated. Their mage-craft is restricted solely to the high elven clans, yet they are known for their excellent warriors. Far beyond the piers of a regular human grunt with each elven warrior. Currently ruled by a trio of High Elves. One being a Master of the Nine/Eternal Blade, the second a Warrior-Wizard and another being a Psion/Wizard Cerebremancer.

Baby Blue: (Hart Ln) A comparably egalitarian nation with most of it’s denizens being either Wizards, Rogues or some combination in between. Known heavily for their highly intoxicating recreational drugs, state-sponsored prostitution and army of conjuration wizards specializing in Summoning outsiders. Often get into minor wars with their elven neighbors, with nether side being capable of marching towards their own territories. Often engages with trade with other nations, and is on a decent standing with non Kesh Territories. Ruled by a council of Gnome and Halfling mix of sorcerers, wizards and rogues.

Crimson: (Zkwal) A harsh land ruled by Hobgoblins, though it is noted for a strange influx of holy lawful warriors who rush towards other lands, acting as advisors and assassins against what appears to be a rather bold move from the infernal outsiders that control the lands. Detailed down to the last minutia, Zkwal is known for it’s potent militaristic might, technological breakthroughs and mastery over the balance between the mystic and physical properties of the world. Awkward racial tensions exist between the last of the sterile Anthropomorphic Animals, where druids truly reign across the frozen north. Ruled by a Hobgoblin Druid named “Divine One” who is constantly in the form of a Triceratops. Only shaping out of said form to eat particularly rare food.

Grey: (Utagin Lrak)A mysterious if not a rather queer land full of various fruits and vegetables along with the only democracy in existence. Granted such rights are only granetd to the elemental planetouched, and the sparse genies and dragons that coexist. Yet the land is rather sparse of war, where patrols of druids, wizards and roguely sorts engage in all sorts of hypnotic drugs that effect solely the planetouched of the elements. While non-Tiefling/Aasimar may mingle, those who share celestial or infernal blood are harshly persecuted. As they are seen as natural enemies to the natural order of things. Ruled by a Wizard/Druid Mystic Theurge dubbed “Star amongst the seasons”
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

How long do you expect this game to run, like we complete one dungeon or a rolling epic of liberating a continent from tyranny, etc.
AcidBlades
Journeyman

Post by AcidBlades »

I honestly haven't got a clue. Hopefully some things that feel important might happen.

Considering party set up, I think liberating should be said in quotation marks.
Pixels
Knight

Post by Pixels »

AcidBlades wrote:Considering party set up, I think liberating should be said in quotation marks.
Something like that.

Jayden would have absolutely no sympathy for the Caelotions. They got their empire cracked, they probably didn't deserve the power in the first place. But if they want to spend their last riches scrabbling to reclaim past glory then he will hardly complain. What do they want anyways? Go in and kill everybody, retrieve MacGuffin, scout and return with intel? All of the above?