[IC]Secrets of the Fire Swamp

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

"Put down the box", commands Malagos as he orders his skeleton next to him.

"If you wish to bring us to the ethereal I would be more than happy to lend support," says the drow, his eyes scanning for more fire jets, bizarre monsters, or anything else.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"Same," Archimedes agrees.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

"This cloud is a green glowy, toothy tentacled giant hermit crab. Probably related to the trees who attacked us earlier. Still, I'll see if I can reason with it."

Orr will try to fly as high and far away from it as he can. He'll attempt to communicate with it (telepathy covers anything with a language and Orr can also talk to animals and magical beasts). "We won't attack you if you don't attack us first."

If it seems hostile, Orr will power channel water through it. (DC 17 Nauseate, Fort negates, Sickens no save).
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

The thing opens its maw wider. He can see some sort of glands in there, glowing and pulsing rhythmically in some sort of pattern.

Wisdom Check: Orr thinks this might be a form of threat display.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

(Hmm... it is a display.)

Orr will fly away from it and see what it does, readying an action to blink away if tries anything on him.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

As Orr flies away, the cloud drifts back in the other direction - and Orr notices that during the whole encounter, it never passed the line of the stone pillars down below.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Orr will minor channel earth to gain an air token.

"Okay guys, let's move beyond the wards. Malagos, tell the skeleton to put the box down around 10 feet away from any pillar."

Orr will position himself with the box in between him and the wards, and then fly towards the warded area through the box while blinking to get a glimpse of what's in there, readying an action to blink away from any physical or magical attack that doesn't affect ethereal beings.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

At the last moment before impacting the box, Orr banks (Reflex save) upon realizing that the box is solid on the ethereal as well as the physical, and that his effort would have been equivalent to charging headlong into a wall.
AcidBlades
Journeyman

Post by AcidBlades »

"Vian, I believe that the Springs is not under the influence of any sort of toxic substance, demonic forces or tree tentacles that will skewer you like a twig. So get a drink, maybe even get naked for a moment and take a bath. You're the only one who doesn't have Prestidigitation on ya." Thus Dragaan was in a half-meditative, half-sleepy state.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Vian shrugs. "Sure."

He then gets back to using the spring to heal his wounds. After a few moments he felt the energy coursing through him, removing the marks the last battle has left upon him.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Malagos issues the instructions to his skeleton to move the box as indicated.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Archimedes will do the same strategy he had planned on last time the party was planning to open the box:
Archimedes flies 30 feet up in the air, keeping his keen eyes on the box. He readies an action to use his breath weapon on any hostile creature that may emerge from the box and attacks the skeleton or the party (if it doesn't attack, or no creature emerges, then Archimedes will not use his breath weapon. He will also refrain from using it if any party members would be caught in the blast, although he does not extend this mercy to the presumably cold-immune skeleton.)
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Orr will check the corner of the box he dimpled earlier to see if it has an ethereal dimple as well.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

There is an ethereal dimple.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

"On second thought, ethereal travel is fickle, and time may be of the essence at the moment. But, probably wouldn't hurt to bury it before I open it."

To dog, "Stand guard right over there, inside the warded area. Keep an eye on the egg from time to time and let me know if anything approaches.

If no one wants to do anything to the coffin, or after they do, Orr will bury the coffin 10 ft deep and then cover it up again (can displace 13 cubic feet of earth per round).
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 7 times in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Orr will open the coffin using stone shape, and then dive down and take a peak, readying an action to blink away from any physical or magical attack that doesn't affect ethereal beings and then resurface.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Buried beneath the dirt The stone box unfolds, hidden mechanisms snapping as the stone peels away. Orr blinks down. At first, it seems only full of tiny bones...then a single small, white rat digs furiously through the loose soil, toward the surface. Within moments it is into the open air, raising its hands and throwing its head back as though worshiping the sun, issuing forth a series of high-pitched squeaks...which, Orr is surprised to recognize as archaic Common. "Free! Free at last! Thank the Dark Gods, I'm free at last!"
Last edited by Ancient History on Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

If he spots anything of interest in the box, Orr will grab it and resurface.

"Hi. You're probably thirsty. There's a spring over there (point towards it and send blast of air in that direction), and I can spare some food if you like."

To Archimedes, "Keep an eye on the creature. I'd like to examine the insides of the box."

If the creature is occupied with the spring, or food or something, Orr will bring the box to the surface and examine it, checking to see its shape in the ethereal as well.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The box is full of bones and bits of fur - all of small rats. The inside of the box is covered by scratches, some of which seem to be spell formulae. On the ethereal, the box is still solid, even in its warped state; something inherent in the stone.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Archimedes does as Orr suggests, keeping watch on the talking rat. "So," he snorts in an attempt at small talk, "what my friend said is true. Drink if you like, and I can provide rations if you're hungry. I'm curious about you. Tell me about yourself, if you can. Who--or what--sealed you in the box, if you don't mind my asking?"
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The rat drinks deep from the pool, but politely declines the rations, preferring to grab a newt with one deft paw and gently begin to devour the struggling amphibian while it is still alive. After consuming the better part of it - and the struggle ceases - it offers a few words.

"Damn scaly bastards locked me away. I was a veritable king among rodents, and they had the most ridiculous prejudices against that sort of thing. Trumped up some charges about 'unnatural acts' and 'blasphemy' - it was all politics, I'll tell you."

With a sudden viciousness, he returns to the newt, finishing it off and carefully burying the bones and entrails a few feet away from the spring.

"Thanks awfully for letting me out though, chaps. I do appreciate it. I may no longer have my full power, but I'd like to do something for you in exchange."
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

"Heh, tell me about it", says the necromancer, rolling his eyes at the mention of blasphemy. "What did you have in mind?"
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Archimedes doesn't say anything else, but nods in agreement to Malagos.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"Well, I may be a bit out of date," the rat says, "but if you need a guide, I'd be happy to oblige."
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Orr will separate the parts of the box containing any scratches with stone shape and pocket them. He'll also split the box into several chunks for easier carrying, wondering if the unusual properties of the box will come in handy later on.

To party members "This strange material could be useful. I think we should take it with us. I've split it up to make it easier to carry"

He'll then go to the other party members and the creature.

"Thank you. We could use some information. We found you under some green, glowy and very angry trees. So, what is this place exactly? How long were you in there anyway?"

If very long: "How'd you survive?"
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.