[IC]Secrets of the Fire Swamp

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Orr and Archimedes fly about a hundred feet above the treeline, following the general shadow of the road. After a few hundred yards, the trees begin to thin out, giving way to patches of tall grasses and marsh. Many of the clearings are spotted with white stone, half-sunken into the earth; ruins of some sort.

About three miles from the river as the half-minotaur flies you come across a long, irregular line of black obsidian posts - you missed them in your first reconnaissance mostly because you were not looking for them, and many are bent at an angle or half-buried in waters. No trees grow beyond that line, which seems to curve around in a great arc as far as you can see; the space within is almost all tall grass, with many more ruins - some more intact than others.

At the place where the road meets the line of markers, you can make out a round marble basin, half-hidden by ferns, and full of clear water. There appears to be a kind of pillar or statue in the center of it.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

"The healing spring, I presume. Feel like going for a swim?"

Orr will examine a few of the posts.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Vian rolls his one eye. "Assuming this is what we were looking for..."

He said before stepping up to the waters. He examines them cautiously before taking a small sip to determine their effects.
AcidBlades
Journeyman

Post by AcidBlades »

"Ai, we don't need you getting miffed up anymore than you have to. I shall first taste this spring, as I possess an extreme resilience that many folk take for granted." Dragaan roughly tugs Vian away from his sip, and then caught a handful of water to drink.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

An hour after the flyers have landed, the earthbound members of the party stagger out of the trees, not too much the worse for wear, though Clara nearly succumbed to an unexpected burst of flame, Alim swears he saw a female beguiler skipping through the trees at one point, and Malagos detects what could be a secret door.

The pool - which greatly resembles an ancient bath as much as anything, gone somewhat back to nature, with newts frolicking around the edges of the marble steps, and clambering over the central statue - a sort of carven pillar whose scaly curves uncomfortably suggest both a human female and a male amphibian, and from whose orifices the clear, pure water pours.

It seems to almost glow gently, though the water has no especial luminescence when scooped into Dragaan's palm, and he finds it cool, sweet, and refreshing, so that he at once realizes how thirsty he has been.

Orr, investigating the posts, finds them to be black volcanic glass much like the breakers they encountered out on the coast, though smaller, and they seem to consist of two faces. The "outward" face appears to show very leprous rats, the flesh falling from their skulls, while the "inward" faces are stylized reptilian skulls. Many of the rodent-like faces appear to be defaced, as though by a blade.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Archimedes will sniff around the spring in order to see if he can notice anything unusual.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Archimedes catches an odd scent - like garlic wrapped in ozone - and follows it carefully perhaps sixty feet from the spring, where he finds a cluster of three markers not part of the regular line, but arranged in a sort of triangle around a large black egg, about a foot high, which floats about five feet off the ground.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Many of the rodent-like faces appear to be defaced, as though by a blade.
(As in they were carved to look defaced, or they look like they were actually defaced?)

Orr will check to see if all the posts look the same.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

They look like they were actually defaced. The posts look generally similar, though they were often made by many different artisans and feature slight variations.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

"Apparently, someone doesn't like rodents. I wonder if there's anything unusual beneath us."

Orr will expend an ethereal token to start greater blinking (duration 2 minutes). He'll rest for 18 seconds to get one back. He'll then spend a fire token to boost his fly speed to 65 (45 while blinking) and use a run action to dive under the ground as far as he can while still being able to get back to the surface on his turn, resurface and report his findings. (he has low light vision and can see perfectly to any distance in darkness)
Last edited by radthemad4 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The ground isn't exactly...solid. The water table is quite high around here. But Orr doesn't detect any chambers or underground tunnels. What he does detect, are several structures in the coadjacent space of the ethereal where the pillars are - they look almost frozen, like statues, inhumanoid creatures with too many eyes, almost looking like some kind of abstract, pseudo-organic art - but then one of them blinks, and Orr can tell its eyes are tracking him as he comes back up to the surface...
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"They hate rodents, eh?" Archimedes muses telepathically. "Well, there's a funny-smelling black egg floating over where I am. There are some markers around it; if it wasn't off the path I'd figure that it was part of the shrine. Perhaps it was placed here by whoever, or whatever, carved up the rats? Anyone got anything to try?"
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Malagos decides to investigate the feeling of something hidden.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Ancient History
Serious Badass

CapnTthePirateG wrote:Malagos decides to investigate the feeling of something hidden.
Malagos shakes himself out of his brief philosophical reverie as he hears a faint popping noise from beneath him, and manages to move before the jet of flame emerges from the ground.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

(Forgot I could see Ethereal. Adding it to my sheet. Thanks :) )

"Not much down there but I did find something interesting. The pillars go deep and have eyes down there... but in the ethereal plane. So guys, fancy a trip there for a better look? Or do we want to go see the Bone Mother first?"

Orr will attempt to telepathically contact the eyes. "Uh, hi? How's it going?"
Darth Rabbitt wrote:"They hate rodents, eh?" Archimedes muses telepathically. "Well, there's a funny-smelling black egg floating over where I am. There are some markers around it; if it wasn't off the path I'd figure that it was part of the shrine. Perhaps it was placed here by whoever, or whatever, carved up the rats? Anyone got anything to try?"
"All alone? Odd. Can you see if it has a trail? I'm wondering if it fell off from something or got moved somehow"
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

radthemad4 wrote: Orr will attempt to telepathically contact the eyes. "Uh, hi? How's it going?"
A single word seems to slither itself into Orr's consciousness; like a babble of voices he's been hearing without noticing but finally comes to the fore with terrific clarity.

Clean.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

"Do you mean that we're not affiliated with Those Who Change Scales? So, who are you and what do you know about this place?"
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Orr waits for what seems like a long time, but the strange figures say nothing else.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

(Orr will have used this time to blink once more and refresh all his tokens)

Orr will talk to his dog (who presumably traveled on foot with the others, riding dogs have scent and track as a bonus feat). "Go help out Archimedes. See if the egg has a trail. I'm keeping this channel open. If you get into any danger, run and contact me."

Orr will then fly through the outer/upper areas in the nearby ruins and check them out, readying an action to blink out of the way should he detect any hostile action towards him (greater blink has this as an option, and any physical or magical effect misses automatically, unless it affects ethereal beings like a force effect of some sort).
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The dog barks, and dutifully runs over toward the egg, stops about fifty feet away, sniffs, and then backs away slowly with its tail between its legs.

As Orr ascends, he notices a particularly thick low-lying cloud above him. Does he ascend through it?

Meanwhile the skeleton, still holding the stone puzzle-box, finally emerges on the road, following the rest of the group.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"Wish me luck," Archimedes murmurs telepathically. He will start sniffing where the dog stopped, attempting to track the egg's trail (if any) by scent (Survival +9, assuming no other modifiers).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

There doesn't seem to be any "trail" - the smell is centered around the egg.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"No trail," Archimedes tells the party. "And what's going on down there?" he asks Orr.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Orr will try to maneuver to move around and above the cloud and get into a position to be able to get as much of it in a straight line as possible, and blast it with a 60 ft gust of wind (severe), towards the ground.

"The pillars have eyes underground, but in the ethereal plane. They're not very talkative but they did say one thing. 'Clean'. I'm guessing they're sentries and we're 'clean' because none of us are 'scaly folk'. If you guys are up for it, I can take us into the ethereal and back for a better look, but I'm not risking going there alone."
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Flying above the cloud, Orr sees...well, it looks like a hermit crab's shell sculpted out of white, fluffy cloud. If the hermit crab were a tentacled nightmare of silver the size of a dragon with blue-on-blue eyes. It starts to crawl itself outside of its hole, grabbing the cloud for purchase to get a better view. The gust of wind does not move the cloud, but it blows some of the tentacles back. The thing unhinges its tri-partite jaw and reveals a maw full of teeth, the veins inside glowing a faint luminous green.