Paradox Buys White Wolf from CCP

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

GreatGreyShrike
Master

Paradox Buys White Wolf from CCP

Post by GreatGreyShrike »

So, apparently White Wolf's IP has all been sold to makers of historical strategy games.

Good? Bad? Thoughts?

I think that it was pretty clear at this point that the Eve guys weren't doing much with the IP. This purchase could maybe lead to videogames in the future - VtM: Bloodlines was fairly well received in spite of being a glitchy mess (possibly because of teething difficulties with the then-new Half Life 2 engine Source). No clue what it will mean in terms of actual RPG system / books / etc.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Anything that might get the RPG license away from Onyx Path is good.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Why would you assume that the first release will be an RPG instead of a grand strategy game where you control one of the Vampire clans, and try to rule the night?
Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:Why would you assume that the first release will be an RPG instead of a grand strategy game where you control one of the Vampire clans, and try to rule the night?
That sounds pretty cool, actually. I'd play it, if the mechanics were decent.
Last edited by Ice9 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

That sounds amazing, I would play it even as a Crusader Kings mod. As its own game - take my money.
Covent
Master

Post by Covent »

A war game where you pick a race of supers and have battles...

40K look out WWWG is on its way.

Honestly that sounds fun if the mechanics don't suck, the codices are balanced, and the minis are not overly expensive.

Edit: Doh! I should learn to read. The video games could be cool we will see. Leaving my original comments up for the posterity of idiocy.
Last edited by Covent on Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maxus wrote:Being wrong is something that rightly should be celebrated, because now you have a chance to correct and then you'll be better than you were five minutes ago. Perfection is a hollow shell, but perfectibility is something that is to be treasured.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

There's actually a fairly large Dark Ages Vampire mod for CK2 as it is. I haven't played it much because I object to a number of aspects that are orthogonal to being a White Wolf-inspired strategy game, but I think that if the Warhammer mod team had opted to do it instead it'd be fairly awesome, and any new Paradox game would actually have the engine built for it and sidestep some of the insane hackery which would be required.
Last edited by name_here on Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
DrPraetor
Duke

Post by DrPraetor »

I want fallout shelter with vampires. You have a coterie, you send them out hunting (or whatever), they train their skills and suchnot...
Chaosium rules are made of unicorn pubic hair and cancer. --AncientH
When you talk, all I can hear is "DunningKruger" over and over again like you were a god damn Pokemon. --Username17
Fuck off with the pony murder shit. --Grek
K
King

Post by K »

I'd play all these games.
shlominus
Journeyman

Post by shlominus »

K wrote:I'd play all these games.
so would i.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I guess if you want a halfway decent tabletop game to come out with all that beautiful White Wolf art, you need to go pester Tobias Sjögren. In the meantime, I am looking forward to the upcoming Paradox take on Sim Vampire Coterie. I expect it to have a lot of bugs and for me to not even care and buy all the expansions.

-Username17
K
King

Post by K »

I also have a huge boner for Paradox's upcoming space 4x Stellaris. If even half these promises are kept, it will be awesome.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Color me skeptic. Paradox is a one trick pony whose trick has nothing to whatsoever with RPGs.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
malak
Master

Post by malak »

silva wrote:Color me skeptic. Paradox is a one trick pony whose trick has nothing to whatsoever with RPGs.
They published Pillars of Eternity.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

malak wrote:
silva wrote:Color me skeptic. Paradox is a one trick pony whose trick has nothing to whatsoever with RPGs.
They published Pillars of Eternity.
The only more compelling criticism of a companies ability to make RPGs I can imagine is if they published Tales of the Sword Coast Legends.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Paradox is a full-on publishing house these days. They've published Cities:Skylines and Magicka, for instance. Their internal development studio just does the grand strategy games. If they intend to do a small-party roleplaying game it'll be licensed out to someone, while if they intend to do a grand political game of playing an Elder and his childe struggling for power in the Carmilla while battling the Sabbat, it'll be in-house and add playable other splats in $5-$10 DLC.

Or they might do both.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

I've just realized given this news, could this revive the IP? Causing White Wolf to regain relevance again like it did back in the ages of AD&D or such where it was KING? That is, is it even likely Paradox will cause this brand to become more successful than D&D's current repute? (considering it's going majorly downhill I'd imagine yes?)
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Is the white Wolf IP even worth anything? You can make "Vampire City" and "Vampire Kings" with your own generic IP and people who like vampires and/or sim games will talk about it regardless.
K
King

Post by K »

OgreBattle wrote:Is the white Wolf IP even worth anything? You can make "Vampire City" and "Vampire Kings" with your own generic IP and people who like vampires and/or sim games will talk about it regardless.
Sure. Owning it means that you won't be sued like in the whole Underworld fiasco. Certainly worth the 1.7 mil pricetag, a lowball figure compared to the price of even a single legal challenge.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

name_here wrote:Magicka, for instance
Yeah, but that's most definitely not Vampire. :cool:
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

PockPaperShotgun wrote:and confirming that the purchase “includes everything,” even assets CCP created for unreleased games.
...RPGnet waambulances of fanboys crying VEENDEEKEESHUNS and "The MMO wasn't killed after all!" in 3...2...1...
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

OgreBattle wrote:Is the white Wolf IP even worth anything? You can make "Vampire City" and "Vampire Kings" with your own generic IP and people who like vampires and/or sim games will talk about it regardless.
That's a legit question. Obviously, nothing is stopping you from making your own multi-million dollar vampire franchise from scratch. White Wolf doesn't bring in any concepts that are new. The different vampire clans and organizations are all literary references to existing properties and public domain works, and you could rip off those original sources as easily as you could repurpose White Wolf stuff. Some of the properties are completely vacuous - Scion revolves around the players interacting with public domain characters.

As K pointed out though, White Wolf, like TSR in the day, has done legal challenges on people before. If you own White Wolf, no one is going to take you to court because you accidentally used a word in a similar context to some White Wolf splat you've never heard of. And that's a real risk, because old White Wolf launched a court case against Underworld based on someone calling a vampire/werewolf hybrid critter an "abomination." If you look at buying the IP as preventatively settling all future legal harrassment, it's probably worth seven digits to a company that intends to make a bunch of internationally marketed products with vampires and werewolves in them.

Secondly, White Wolf has decades of owned art assets. Buying the whole pile gets you some very pretty pictures that you can then put on things.

Thirdly: Nostalgia. There was a period when White Wolf was the biggest selling RPG company. But more importantly, it's the second biggest selling brand in history. While White Wolf hasn't done anything you'd wipe your ass with in ten years, Paradox is explicitly looking at making things for the "over 25 market." And that means that they are very definitely looking to market to people who lost their virginites as teenagers after a Vampire LARP. You know, people like me. There are millions of people like me. And it's a market that Paradox is courting.

I mean, yes White Wolf had terrible mechanics and they made a lot of choices that were terrible and detrimental to the game and its potential appeal. Werewolves being obligate dog rapists and Mages not being able to play nice nice with Vampires was just bad. You could do better easily. But Paradox can get a lot of free eyeballs by having their upcoming vampire politics game be called "Camarilla Nights" or something, and that's worth the relative fire sale that the White Wolf company goes for these days. For fuck's sake, they are buying the entire history of White Wolf publications and trade marks for less than twenty cents per book sold.

-Username17
Almaz
Knight

Post by Almaz »

The nostalgia thing is probably the biggest point in favor.

If you're making a (genre) thing and you want it to be a guaranteed hit for some degrees of "hit," you can buy... well... White Wolf's WoD is an excellent example. Something that has already sold well in that genre, but is also basically the cheapest thing on the market. Having VtM, or really any existing recognizable vampire brand, means you are way more likely to make the sales to a large audience because people already know what you're on about.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Dogbert wrote:
PockPaperShotgun wrote:and confirming that the purchase “includes everything,” even assets CCP created for unreleased games.
...RPGnet waambulances of fanboys crying VEENDEEKEESHUNS and "The MMO wasn't killed after all!" in 3...2...1...
The response on the Big Purple is... dumber... than I expected.
Actual Statement wrote:My personal 2 cents. The 20th Anniversary Editions have been the end-all-be-all products of the WoD for me and I'm unlikely to sign on for another edition no matter who puts it out. In that way, what Paradox does with the IP is irrelevant to me but if Paradox pulls the plug on Onyx Path before they can put out a Changeling the Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, I will be a very sad panda.
It's sort of sad to watch. Rpg.net has insisted on taking "Onyx Path" shovelware vanity printings seriously so long, and been so hostile to anyone and everyone who pointed out how fucking empty that crap was that there's nothing left. Onyx Path isn't a real game company and it doesn't make real games. But rpg.net insists on treating it as if it was, and as such is way beyond relevancy a lot of the time.

-Username17
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Yes. The brand has traction. Ignoring the fluff, just calling your game/tv show/dildo/whatever Vampire: The Masquarade automatically attracts a built-in audience.