Fuck It

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

maglag wrote:For starters, Sepia's Snake Sigil.

What exactly was wrong with your previous rules that prevented crazy stacking of permanent effects? Why do you even need secret page? This isn't some intrigue urban campaign you can win with fake messages.

If you insist, well, the least I can do will be booby trap every enemy spellbook to kingdom come, because why wouldn't any wizard do so with those rules? It seems exactly what your character is planning to do and everything.
Uh...? What? What exactly was wrong was that the previous rules don't allow you to cast any permanent duration spells without effectively spending a spell slot on the effect every day for the rest of your life.

I'm not sure how "crazy stacking of permanent effects" is a huge problem when regular Wizards can already do that. Your example is Sepia Snake Sigil, which costs 500gp per casting, so while non Kaelik Wizard can have as many Sepia Snake Sigils as he can afford on as many things he wants, a Kaelik Wizard can have as many Sepia Snake Sigils as he can afford on as many things as he wants. Which in my case is zero, because I don't want to spend 500gp per casting for a trap that is ideally never even going to be triggered.

Like, the Kaelik Wizard doesn't replace the regular Wizard, and as a Regular Wizard you can start a campaign by saying "I spend 100% of my wealth on casting Sepia Snake Sigil over and over on these things" and that is just fine, and no one cares because it is a stupid use of money.

I personally plan to cast Sepia Snake Sigil zero times over the course of this character's life. I have no idea why other in campaign Wizards will do differently, but I can always take the precaution of reading books through a glass pane when it comes up.

As to why I need Secret Page... because my entire spellbook and all it's copies are constructed from and use Secret Page to sort and organize their contents.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Kaelik wrote:
Darth Rabbitt wrote:I assume we're not joining the Goblin army. I also assume everyone is within earshot of the interrogated Hobgoblin. What do you guys want to do with our captive?
I'm probably not within earshot. I don't want to join the army, but I wouldn't necessarily object to convincing him to take us straight to Koth and blow his face off. But when asked, Malakar's official position is that we stab the hobgoblin in the chest (he will even do it himself with his scythe) cast Gentle Repose on the body, an carry it around till our resident Cleric can Speak with dead it about the specific defenses of the keep.
We have two party members with telepathy so I don't think we need to worry about concealing plans from him if we keep him alive. Having him lead us to his home base sounds like a good idea. Perhaps we should kill him right before we storm the castle or whatever that he leads us to, in case he's leading us to a trap or something.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yeah, I'm going to ask him to take us to his/Koth's base so we can jump the leaders ASAP. I imagine that feigning interest in joining warrants a Bluff check but that shouldn't be a problem between Valzeller's +15 Bluff and the fact that this guy is my friend now and probably wants to believe we're being sincere.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I take it there are no objections to my plan? I want to make sure before I commit to it, but I also don't want to slow down the game (which I may already have done, in which case I apologize).
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Yeah, go for it. I still think we should jump him once we know where to go so we have one less opponent to fight but otherwise I'm cool with having him lead us for now.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I assumed we were going to kill him once his base was in sight.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

So, what does the cleric say?
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Derp sorry completely missed that. Feel free to poke me earlier if I'm posting on other threads and not here in tgd.
Last edited by maglag on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

K, no worries. So, guys, any preferences as to how we kill the cleric before we move on? Or should Darth fly him across while the rest of us take the ferry?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'd be up for either. Thought I'd responded here already.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Gather Information requires actually talking to people for 10 minutes. I don't think we are waiting 20 minutes for you to talk to townspeople.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Oh, durr. Good point. For some reason I was being a dumbass assumed because it got the same result as Knowledge it took the same amount of time in this case.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Some of you guys took damage right? I think we've still got 14 charges of Lesser Vigor left for the day.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I don't know how Imp feels about spells per day, but I'm all for heading off now. So far as I know we haven't traveled very far today, so there is still plenty of time/effort left and imp is the only daily uses character, and we have plenty of charges left on the wand of lesser vigor.

I expect that far away from the keep we will just travel along the road at a horse's walk or trot or whatever, unless something suspicious looking shows up. But I think much closer to the keep, we probably want to approach quietly without giving ourselves away, and probably without our horses.

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'd definitely like to heal up. Also in favor of heading off now.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Kaelik wrote:I expect that far away from the keep we will just travel along the road at a horse's walk or trot or whatever, unless something suspicious looking shows up. But I think much closer to the keep, we probably want to approach quietly without giving ourselves away, and probably without our horses.
I have no objections to this and am cool with moving onwards.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

maglag only:
Invisible Castle is still down for some reason, so you will have to take my word that I rolled a six on the knowledge check, so with a 22, assuming this is a CR 5 Hydra, I would know:

0) Magical Beast, Hydra
1) 20ft, 20ft swim
2) Darkvision 60ft
3) Fast Healing 16
4) Low Light Vision
5) Scent
6) 6 Bites, +8, 1d10+3
7) AC 16, Touch 9, Flatfooted 15

maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Until Invisible Castle revives, I guess we'll have to do the rolls by mutual trust.

I'll need every player's position to resolve this turn, even if you're not trying to attack the hydra.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I do not think imp is going to be posting or continuing to play.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I would like to reiterate, that obviously imp is no longer playing in this game, all the same I would like it if it did not die. Sooo... DM do something, tell us what we do about abandoned player.

Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I have to agree with Kaelik here.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Bump. Same here.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

First I apologize for having disappeared without trace, RL got busy, but now I have some free time again for web stuff and since there's at least one player still interested, I'm returning to DM this, which is somewhat more productive than posting in the humble opinion section.

Also seems like invisible castle is permadead, so we're sticking to the honor "roll at home" method since that seems to have been working well for the other game.

As for the player from the character who left, let's just say she vanished without trace. Or died from poison from a scratch of the hydra's teeth as you ran by it.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

No problem. Shit happens. I'm up to continue if Kaelik and rad are.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Kaelik and Rad are.