NOTICE: Potential downtime coming soon

Practice posts and questions about the boards. The registration code for this board is 'Th3G@m|ngD3n' (Note the use of numbers and symbols!)

Moderator: Moderators

Zherog
Knight-Baron

NOTICE: Potential downtime coming soon

Post by Zherog »

I just received this notice from our hosting company:
Bluehost is dedicated to keeping your account secure and working smoothly. Our commitment to open source software and an intuitive web experience makes your online success our number one priority.

As part of this, your website is being upgraded to a new server; a server that is both faster and more reliable.

Migration of your website to the new server will begin later this week. The process requires the server to be rebooted twice; once during the migration and again 48-72 hours after the migration is complete. Please expect 15-20 minutes of downtime between 10 p.m. and 4 a.m. Mountain Time while the server reboots.

We want to assure you that we are doing everything possible to make this a smooth transition.
So... Given that this was received on a Friday evening around 10pm eastern, I'm not quite sure how to interpret "will begin later this week" to be honest. I mean, on most calendars, the week ends on a Saturday, so in that case there isn't too much "later" left for this week.

My hunch, however, is that this will happen sometime next week. But that's just a guess - for all I know, we could start experiencing downtime in a bit over an hour. (It's 10:30pm eastern right now, so 8:30pm mountain.)

If I hear anything further about a more definitive time, I'll update this post. Otherwise, over the next week or so, if you experience what appears to be an outage, what 20 minutes and try again, I guess...
You can't fix stupid.

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." ~ Jackie Robinson