Good Setting/Bad Mechanics

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Wiseman
Duke

Good Setting/Bad Mechanics

Post by Wiseman »

So what games have you played that have a good setting that is marred by bad mechanics?

For me it's Infernum, the setting is great. It's richly detailed, with plenty of reasons and places to adventure, a variety of character concepts playable, and numerous goals that can be set. However, the mechanics suck pretty hard, and fall apart fairly often, which is why I'm in the middle of rewriting them.

Any of you had experiences like that?
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Shady314
Knight

Post by Shady314 »

Isn't this just http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=55968
Wiseman wrote:Infernum. The system is pretty broken and diplomancers can be a serious problem, in addition to there being no real WBL system, despite there being prices for high end fortresses. However, the setting is rich and detailed enough to make me want to play regardless.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

huh, forgot about that. whoops. :bored:
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Anima...
well I actually - sort of - like the rules too (different systems for ki, psi and magic users)...
... it's just not balanced and the basic mechanic (before you come to the different sub systems) to complicated...
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Eclipse Phase.
Shadowrun.
Planescape.
Dark Sun.
Gurps Banestorm.
Last edited by silva on Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen