Checking level appropriateness of a Blackguard Variant

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Checking level appropriateness of a Blackguard Variant

Post by Prak »

The paladin in my game is a yuan-ti pureblood who might fall after stabbing a party member to awaken Merrshaulk enough to get some directions (I say might because its debatable as to whether or not he should fall for just that), so I sat down and wrote up a Merrshaulk themed Blackguard variant in case the player decides to go that direction.

I just want to see what people think of the abilities and whether I over or undershot the level appropriateness of them.

Modifications:
  • Requirements: as BG, but be ordained by a representative of M. rather than make peaceful contact with a fiend.
  • Aura of the Serpent: as Aura of Evil, but automatically know any attempt to detect your alignment and make a Will save (DC 10+detector's class/caster level) to present a different alignment. Replaces Aura of Evil.
  • Living Holy Symbol: grow a cobra hood usable as a holy symbol, can't be detected when not in use, confers 1/3 char. lv. enhancement bonus to Intimidate when deployed.
  • Deathwatch: replaces Detect Good, usable at will.
  • Cruel Touch: touch deals 1d8+class level, weapons deal bonus 1d4+class level. Usable 1/day, +1/3 class levels. Replaces Smite Good.
  • Command Scaled Ones: replaces Command Undead, works the same.
  • Aura of Somnolence: radiate a constant Deep Slumber effect out to 10 ft. Creatures receive a cumulative -1 penalty to their save per consecutive round spent in aura. Leaving the aura resets their "drowsiness." Replaces Aura of Despair.
  • Scaly Servant: As Fiendish Servant, but instead of a fiendish animal, you choose a scaled one* with CR equal to 1/2 your character level or less.
Anything not mentioned is kept unmodified. Basically, I think Blackguard is good in concept, but dumb and unfocused in execution. Sneak Attack and Poison Use happen to make sense for a yuan-ti holy warrior, but not for, say, Erythnul. So basically this is a blackguard with a "snakes, deception, cruelty and sleep" theme.

*Scaled ones are listed in Serpent Kingdoms, but basically it's anything with the [Reptilian] subtype and a lot of things that should have it, but not dragons.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Since you are talking about a Paladin, a class that has never been level appropriate anyway, some specification is required.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, its a Tome game, they're at level 7 currently. He's a Paladin4/Rogue1/Shadowspy2. So, admittedly, not an optimization-prioritized character. The other characters are a Druid/Wizard waiting to qualify for Arcane Heirophant, and a Soldier waiting to qualify for Celestial Beacon.

I suppose the real question is "did I write in anything that is horribly above the appropriate power level?" Aura of Somnolence is the one I'm really concerned about.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Compared to a well-made Tome character it's weaksauce, but that's what happens when you're a Paladin, Blackguard or both of the above. Compared to the multicaster, it seems fine. The Soldier may or may not overshoot them, depending on choice of abilities. As a character who is "I want to be stealthy and use poisons! Wait no I want to be a good melee brute! Oh or I could have weak minions and-" type thing, having an aura of Deep Slumber is no big deal.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

If you mean for it to have no effect on anything with more than 10HD, then it is fine.

If you mean for it to be a save or lose sleep effect with scaling dc that is basically just a bookkeeping nightmare with no significant benefit, then... I mean it is one of those stupid fucking terrible classes.

On the one hand, his standard actions are likely to be fucking worthless. On the other hand he has a move action/free action AoE fuck you effect that has an immunity but can be triggered multiple times per round... wtf?

I mean, you basically are talking about a character that is arguably fucking worthless against anything immune to sleep (which can be a lot) but that just immediately fucks anything not immune to sleep.

You are drastically limiting your abilities to challenge the party with a lot of different creatures.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
erik
King

Post by erik »

The sleep aura probably won't swing many combats unless the DC is high, and at level 7 already it is going to become obsolete fairly soon as you probably already face >10HD critters. I think you may not be appreciating how it will be a mcfuckinghuge nuisance for party members until that point, and foul up multitudes of non-combat scenarios.

You want healing or buffs? Fuck off and find an elf.

Tight dungeon passages? You go first everywhere in case we need to turn around and run away.

Rename that ability social pariah. Talking with anyone? How weird is it to have to have a 10' bubble apart from you to talk with people for more than 1 minute to keep them from falling asleep.