[Play-By-Skype] AP Age of Worms Recruitment

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

vagrant
Knight

[Play-By-Skype] AP Age of Worms Recruitment

Post by vagrant »

Heyo guys and gals, so this is a thing. Been playing a DnD game with a friend GMing that literally just exploded this morning after the GM got tired of appeasing the mouthbreathers in the game. This made me understandably sad, because I was enjoying being not uber-optimised and yet not lagging behind the rest of the group. So, in the classic spirit of 'Fuck it', I've decided to run my very own DnD game. Specifically because I'm a lazy fuck, a module game which will require very little actual prep work. We're doing Age of Worms, not because I think its good, but because we had Savage Tides reviewed and Age of Worms is part of the same metaplot or something. I dunno. The first few adventures looked casually interesting, at least.

The rules are thus: Sundays, at some time (undetermined depending on people's availability), level 1 (Everyone loves level 1 games amirite?!), though I am undecided on whether this'll be core DnD or Tome. Tome will probably require me scaling up encounters, which isn't that bad - I could potentially do that - and hopefully keep down the weird chargen shit. I'm not against weird chargen shit, but I'll be honest, it is a bitch to adjudicate. So I guess it'll be up to you guys. Anyway, totally join up.

tl;dr - Age of Worms Sunday over Skype and Roll20, 4-6 players. Sign up sheet is this thread.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I almost certainly won't be involved in this game, because level 1, but if you are trying to recruit for a Skype game probably the first thing to do is talk about time it will be played.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

I'm basically forced to start at level one due to the requirements of the adventure path, (though i personaly despise level 1 games myself) but the times will depend on the players. My time zone is Eastern European, though, but I can wake up early / late depending on when people can be available.
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Age of Worms should have scaling info.
Hm, it appears I was wrong. Usually Dungeon adventures have a scaling sidebar, but I guess they decided that was too much like work for Adventure Paths.

What you could do is just exposition the first two adventures for the party.
Last edited by Prak on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Okay how about the Spirit Shaman class I literally just made up (or alternatively, stole everything but the casting mechanic from Frank) in the last hour.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

Sure, if you can show me the class. Nevermind, found it. Looks reasonable, at 5th level you can cast a total of 2 3rd level spells all day long off the not-so-great druid list. Which I think is more or less okay.

Few things: It'll be level 5 (I'll scale up encouters myself) and I would ask people to avoid spells/abilities that grant incorporeality or a burrow speed. Not that you can't, I'm loath to outright ban it, but it will break the AP in half if you use them. Stats will be 18, 18, 16, 14, 10 10. Because on average people will use similar numbers anyway. Or you could be weaker if you prefer, but that's my recommended array. My Skype is loditein.

And it will be Tome. Anything from Row is allowed, including Fighter.
Last edited by vagrant on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56211 I literally wrote it hours ago.

Based on your comment about ethereal, I just want to emphasive that the Spirit Guide is a lot more DM controlled than your average companion, at least as I envision it.

So he probably won't scout for me, and will just trollerdog me if he has superior knowledge of what is on the other side of the door.
Last edited by Kaelik on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

That sounds fine. I think the Spirit Shaman should have recharge times for expended slots between encounters, (cause spamming summon swarm or summon nature's ally every round could get annoying, or alternatively you could just not do that), but that's a suggestion. If I see you guys roflstomping the monsters, I'll probably just ramp them up.
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

vagrant wrote:That sounds fine. I think the Spirit Shaman should have recharge times for expended slots between encounters, (cause spamming summon swarm or summon nature's ally every round could get annoying, or alternatively you could just not do that), but that's a suggestion. If I see you guys roflstomping the monsters, I'll probably just ramp them up.
That would seem to completely defeat the purpose of the class. If they can't pick one attack spell and two not attack spells at level 1, then they have to pick three attack spells and you are right back to level 1 being a shitty attack spells only level, like it is for Wizards and Druids already.

If Summon swarm is bad for power reasons, that is a problem with granting them the Druid list, if summon swarm is an accounting problem, then don't worry about it, because summons are always accounting problems, which is why I don't use them.

AcidBlades
Journeyman

Post by AcidBlades »

Couldn't you just contrive of a game that is like Age of Worms without actually, y'know using the adventure path itself?

Start people off on a reasonable level too. Though I'll join either way because I typically don't got shit to do on Sundays.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

Kaelik wrote:
vagrant wrote:That sounds fine. I think the Spirit Shaman should have recharge times for expended slots between encounters, (cause spamming summon swarm or summon nature's ally every round could get annoying, or alternatively you could just not do that), but that's a suggestion. If I see you guys roflstomping the monsters, I'll probably just ramp them up.
That would seem to completely defeat the purpose of the class. If they can't pick one attack spell and two not attack spells at level 1, then they have to pick three attack spells and you are right back to level 1 being a shitty attack spells only level, like it is for Wizards and Druids already.

If Summon swarm is bad for power reasons, that is a problem with granting them the Druid list, if summon swarm is an accounting problem, then don't worry about it, because summons are always accounting problems, which is why I don't use them.

Summons are primarily an accounting issue, but only if you spam them. Stone shape at will is also a bit problematic, when you get it but that might be a balanced by having no other spells that you or I or anyone cares about. We'll see during gameplay.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

AcidBlades wrote:Couldn't you just contrive of a game that is like Age of Worms without actually, y'know using the adventure path itself?

Start people off on a reasonable level too. Though I'll join either way because I typically don't got shit to do on Sundays.
I'm running age of worms because I'm very lazy and do not wanna fuck around building new maps. And the reasonable level that we are starting off is 5. Hit me up on Skype if you wanna be added to the game.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Maybe give Hp, starting gear, stuff type rules?

vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

Bump. It's been 2 sessions and I think everyone is having fun, so if someone wants to join in they totally can.

-DrPraetor
AcidBlades
Journeyman

Post by AcidBlades »

FYI the Party has a Warmage/Rainbow Servant, Spirit Shaman (Kaelik Version), and a regular ass Tome fighter.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Hum. I think I will be up for it.

I will try to catch you on skype and hammer out the character creation stuff.

Edit: Nevermind.
Last edited by Dominicius on Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

vagrant quit, but I'm going to give MCing this a shot and we could use another player or two. If anyone's interested, PM me (or post here if you want) your skype id or email.

Game usually starts roughly 48 - ( 1.5 to 5 ) hours after the time of this post every week.

We've finished the Whispering Cairn and are about to start the second book of Age of Worms, i.e. The Three Faces of Evil, scaled somewhat for 6th level characters

We've currently got three players:

-RelentlessImp playing a Silverbrow Human Warmage (Koumei's)/Rainbow Servant
-Kaelik, playing a Zenythri Spirit Shaman/Holt Warden
-AcidBlades respecing his Drow every week (his most recent build as of this post is a Kaelik Wizard)

Chargen:
-Ability Scores: 18, 18, 16, 14, 10 10
-Max HP at level 1, average afterward
-1 moderate item, and 6 lesser items (Red Rob's Tome Economy or Simplified Tome Armor), with whatever bullshit assortment of mundane crap you want. I probably won't care.
-Level 6
-Flaws are banned
-Two bonus non Tome feats
-Kaelik Skill Groups
Last edited by radthemad4 on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:29 pm, edited 13 times in total.