SHITE

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

SHITE

Post by icyshadowlord »

Okay, so pretty much every other MOBA thus far has been given a thread of its own, but I've yet to see one concerning SMITE, the game that is in all caps because I don't fucking know. Has anyone here tried it out yet? My two brothers have urged me to play it with them, and I just don't know if I want to invest the time to it. Heroes of the Storm turned out to be boring as hell, and I've kind of lost the mood for DotA 2 and LoL for quite some time now. I am a horrible myth geek though, so at least the fact that all the playable characters in SMITE are gods from various mythologies hasn't made me drop it just yet.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I fucking hate this garbage game, because the third person camera deprives you of like 90% of the strategy in the Moba genre and replaces it with really dump first person shooter strategy.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

Smite is very good.

When I play a MOBA I play it. And, quite frankly, having played it, no other MOBA I currently know of is worth my time.

It's the 3rd person thing and majority of skill shots makes it, it's the element that all MOBAs should always have had, and it seems obvious in retrospect.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I have never played Smite, but I have watched people play Smite, and it looks fucking awful. You could do a third or even first person MOBA by playing down the RPG elements and playing up the action elements, but Smite does not seem to be that MOBA.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

Kaelik wrote:I fucking hate this garbage game, because the third person camera deprives you of like 90% of the strategy in the Moba genre and replaces it with really dump first person shooter strategy.
This is pretty much what I tell people when they ask me why I don't play SMITE. Though I usually say something less offensive like there is less 'finessing' because of the lack of sight and that a lot of variance in the skill sets is (necessarily) lost because of 'how' you have to play it.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

I actually enjoy SMITE. There's something utterly visceral about being a melee assassin in the game that other MOBAs just don't handle right for me, and playing a caster like Ra feels good to me. Other than that, yeah, it does feel a little less strategic compared to other games of the style due to the camera being the way it is, but I enjoy it nonetheless.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

My brothers dragged me over to try this game out with them.

Thus far, it's actually been pretty fun. Just a shame that Ravana is horrible to play as.

My current mains have been Hades and Osiris, but the latter I still need to learn to use better.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
ghost whistler
Journeyman

Post by ghost whistler »

Can you play as Jesus, or Kim Davis?
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

No Jesus or Kim Davis.

I actually wish they had some Sumerian / Babylonian gods in the roster.

Edit: Had a typo to fix. Also, few things are as infuriating as a noob playing Loki.
Last edited by icyshadowlord on Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.