Anime

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

Re: Anime

Post by Lago_AM3P »

Does Teen Titans count?

Even though its villain-of-the-week format and definitely an American production, it's pretty much one of the best cartoons I've ever seen.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

clikml: Thanks for the link.

Grendier.... I watched that clip. I also remember Equilibrium quite clearly.
This show Grenadier... is apparently Equilibrium with breast implants, squeeky voices, and fish-eyes.
SHAME ON YOU, JAPAN! SHAME! YOU SCANDALOUS THIEVES! REFORM YOUR COPYRIGHT LAWS NOW!
No respect. Just when I assumed I had no more anti-Japanese rhetoric to smear on this thread.
Mary girlfriend of Jesus, for lack of stronger profanity...
Damn, and when I read on 2chan and 4chan that they hate American cartoons and movies? And I quote, "shitty Western art b&". What the fuck..................

The director probably said "Lets just take the cool parts, leave the rest. Oh, and giant tits. Really retarded huge fanservice tits, everybody loves to witness their 10-year-old watch that on a Saturday morning."
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

Lago_AM3P at [unixtime wrote:1081123250[/unixtime]]This is a thread for anime, like on Nifty Message Board. I will start.

I just watched Outlaw Star, subtitlted, rather than its run on CN, and it's like watching a totally different show.

I really like this bit of anime. Aside from being energetic and adventurous, I also appreciated OS because it broke anime convention in several ways.

1. There are three women on the ship and none of them seem to be just there to be the obligatory love interest for Gene, the protagonist. Even though Gene and Melfina become rather close, it isn't the sappy, obvious romance you usually find in stories of this type.

2. The strapping male heroine doesn't even come close to stealing all of the screen time. In fact, I'd reckon to say that he was considerably weaker than the two bruisers of the group (both women), and won most of his confrontations with trickery and timing--and a good amount of running away--rather than a belief in himself and refusing to back down from all of the odds. He had a weapon, to be sure, but it often took his compatriots' help to pull his fat out of the fryer.

3. While the show was pretty adamant in emphasizing that the hero had the most powerful neemer (in the form of a space ship) in outer space, this didn't really come into play as a deus ex machina as one would think. Most of the adventures were on foot and the ones that did have the ship dealt with problems that merely having the equivalent of a +13 Energetic Healing could not solve.

My only real complaint is that the ending, while good, seemed very, very hasty. Especially the suite of final confrontations, which, also breaking anime tradition but in a bad way, they tended to be quick and nasty rather than long and epic where the character's various weaknesses and strengths were put to the test but they came out on top in the end--no. It was more like unleashing your cleric after being buffed out during time stop and having the combat end in one round. After the really involving (and interesting) battles with the crew and two of the villains from the same group, I really expected more.

Hells yeah, I LOVE Outlaw Star!
Just watched all of the episodes on "The Complete Collection" DVD. Honestly, I thought that the ending episode wasn't really a let-down; the gang continues to venture in space, earning a name for themselves, while the other loose ends were tied up, possibly with the exception of the McDougall Brothers.
Also, the biggest question I keep thinking is "How did Jim first end up with a loser like Gene?" Is the equivalent of Child Protective Services on Sentinel III lax or nonexistent?

P.S. Aisha is a cat girl stereotype.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

How they got away with plugging the android into their spaceship without her complaining it beyond me, but then, I haven't seen the whole series.
Seemed like an excuse just to see her nude.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Captain_Bleach
Knight-Baron

Post by Captain_Bleach »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1190936860[/unixtime]]How they got away with plugging the android into their spaceship without her complaining it beyond me, but then, I haven't seen the whole series.
Seemed like an excuse just to see her nude.

Melfina doesn't have to be nude. She's just on her own program.:mischief: