[Tome of Virtue] Extra Leadership Feats

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

[Tome of Virtue] Extra Leadership Feats

Post by Username17 »

Lord of Death [Necromantic] [Skill] [Leadership]
A whole bunch of skeletons and crap show up to fight under your tattered banner.
Benefits: You have a Command Rating equal to your ranks in Knowledge Religion divided by five (round up). You are a Necromantic leader (see Heroes of Battle).
4: You can muster a group of followers. Your leadership score is your ranks in Knowledge Religion plus your Wisdom modifier. Your followers are all mindless Undead. You don't make them or anything, they just show up.
9: You are able to delegate command to a loyal cohort. Your cohort is an intelligent and loyal Undead creature with a CR at least 2 less than your character level. Cohorts gain levels when you do.
14: Your followers swell in number to that of an army.
19: Your allies gain energy resistance to Positive Energy equal to your level while they are within line of sight of you.

Tyrant [Skill] [Leadership]
You push people around and get larger and larger groups trapped in the iron gauntlet of your brutal rule. This feat scales with your ranks in Intimidate
Benefits: You inspire such terror that creatures you intimidate continue to act intimidated after you leave, too afraid to raise their voice in defiance even after you have apparently left them far behind.
4: You can muster a group of followers. Your leadership score is your ranks in Intimidate plus your Strength modifier.
9: Your followers swell in number to that of an army.
14: Your mere presence inspires fear and can break a battle. Enemies with more than 5 hit dice less than you do must make a Will save (DC 10 + ½ Level + Strength Modifier) of flee in panic. This is a [Fear] effect.
19: Your presence causes despair in even brave opponents. All enemies within 30' of your suffer a -2 Morale penalty to Willpower saves.

Monster Rancher [Skill] [Leadership]
You can breed and train a large number of crazy beasts. This feat scales to your ranks in Handle Animal.
Benefits: You can use Handle Animal as if it were Diplomacy when dealing with Magical Beasts and Dragons. You can do similarly with Aberrations and Plants with an Intelligence Score that is less than 9.
4: You can muster a group of followers. Your leadership score is your ranks in Handle Animal plus any synergy bonuses you gt to that skill. Your followers can, and must be monsters.
9: You have a loyal cohort that is a monster of some kind. A cohort is an intelligent and loyal creature with a CR at least 2 less than your character level. Cohorts gain levels when you do.
14: You know what any monster is unless it is disguised by illusion, and you can look up its stat line in the appropriate monster book when devising your strategies.
19: Once per day, you can reroll a saving throw allowed by a Supernatural Ability.

Army of Demons [Skill] [Fiend] [Celestial] [Leadership]
You have an army of planar crazy crap. This feat scales to your Knowledge: Planes skill.
Benefits: You have a Command Rating equal to your Knowledge: Planes ranks divided by five (round up).
4: You can muster a group of followers. Your leadership score is your ranks in Knowledge: Planes plus your Charisma mod. These followers can and must be outsiders.
9: Your followers swell in number to that of an army.
14: You own a planar stronghold.
19: Your allies gain a +2 morale bonus to all saving throws if they can see you and you are within medium range.

Bureaucrat [Skill] [Leadership]
You have a functioning guild that makes stuff for you and gives you money. This feat scales to your Appraise skill.
Benefits: You draw an income for working as an administrator, getting 1 GP/week per rank in Appraise.
4: You can muster a group of followers. Your leadership score is your ranks in Appraise plus your Intelligence modifier. These followers all have profession and craft skills.
9: You get your own Stronghold.
14: You get a +2 bonus to profit checks.
19: Your guild goes planar, your number of followers swell to the size of an army and their ranks start filling up with producers and managers from other planes of existence.
Last edited by Username17 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

Neat stuff. Monster Rancher benefit at 14 is cut off.
deathdealingjawa
Apprentice

Post by deathdealingjawa »

I really like the way you gave more to leadership then just getting a cohort. I also like the fact that there are many different ways to be a leader.
here are the rest of my thoughts.

I was wondering what these things mean:
Your followers swell in number to that of an army.
where do I find profit checks? are we just talking about profession rolls were half my Profession check result in gold pieces per week?
could you also define were to find information about a stronghold?

concerns on the power of feats.
since these Leadership feats are based on skills rather than bab doesn't that mean they will result in a higher Leadership score than command?
Tyrant/Army of Demons/Bureaucrat does not get a cohort, seems to really weaken the power of a leadership feat.
monster rancher capstone power seems bit underpowered since it is a once per day reroll against a specific thing.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Armies are much larger blocks of tiny men.
Profit Checks are in the Dungeonomicon. They are a heavy rewrite of the Profit Check in the DMG 2 (that works similarly, but is broken as fuck).
There is stuff on Strongholds in the Stronghold Builder's Guidebook. Some of that book is redone or reprinted in the Dungeonomicon. Eventually doing a bigger revision on stronghold production is not out of the question. The bonus strongholds in there are listed under "Landlord" and having a Stronghold gives you a bonus to your Leadership score for purposes of follower/army size as per the DMG.

-Username17
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

Well.... you can also look up the MM for any monster. Which is pretty fucking beefy imo. It's one of the things that I try to get on my characters if at all possible, since I really hate fighting things that I don't know a lot about.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

I'm curious as to what "swell in number to that of an army" means as well. Also, going off of the Tome leadership chart, do you need to crop your follower numbers if the highest level follower starts being as high level (or higher) as your cohort?

EDIT: Damn, ninja'd. Blocks of tiny men? What do you mean by that? Do you take your 1st level follower score where you normally get 30 CR 1/2 followers and instead get 30 CR 1/2 follower army units?

Do we also assume that followers don't/can't take leadership feats of their own?
Last edited by virgil on Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Yeah, I'd like to know what "Swells to the numbers of an army" means explicitly as well. I'm guessing it means "you start counting Mass Combat units"
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

I've been wondering if anyones used these in a game, as they sure look brokety-broke-broke to me.

Most give you a Leadership score of skill ranks + stat mod at lvl 1 for the purpose of followers. 10 Leadership provides you with 5 first level followers, which is pretty rickockulous before about level 5. Then at lvl 6 you get an army? At level 6 a Wyvern or an Ettin are supposed to provide a reasonable challenge...

To be honest, the core Leadership feat already provides more power than most Tome feats. I would be more inclined to split in into "get a horde of followers and political power" type feats and "have a loyal manservant but not a wizard girlfriend full of buff spells" type feats.
Last edited by Red_Rob on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Sunwitch
Master

Post by Sunwitch »

In my games we've limited your potential leadership score to 2.5 * your level (rounded down) because of what you've mentioned. As for leadership feats in general, DM-player bargaining is pretty much required. If you think these are bad, the necromantic feats can make the game pretty unplayable.
Duke Flauros
Journeyman

Post by Duke Flauros »

Mauver wrote:In my games we've limited your potential leadership score to 2.5 * your level (rounded down) because of what you've mentioned. As for leadership feats in general, DM-player bargaining is pretty much required. If you think these are bad, the necromantic feats can make the game pretty unplayable.
If you're using sufficiently powerful enemies (read-tome level scaling), it will take a lot of 1st level followers to take them down. Too many, in fact, to be practical.
Niao! =^.^=
Mike Mearls wrote:“In some ways, it was like we told people, ‘The right way to play guitar is to play thrash metal,’” “But there’s other ways to play guitar.” “D&D is like the wardrobe people go through to get to Narnia,” “If you walk through and there’s a McDonalds, it’s like —’this isn’t Narnia.’”
Tom Lapille wrote:"As we look ahead, we are striving for clarity in both flavor and mechanics.""Our goal with most of the D&D Next rules is that they get out of the way of the action as much as possible."
Mike Mearls wrote:"Look, no one at Wizards ever woke up one day and said 'Let's get rid of all of our fans and replace them.' That was never the intent."
Sunwitch
Master

Post by Sunwitch »

Duke Flauros wrote:
Mauver wrote:In my games we've limited your potential leadership score to 2.5 * your level (rounded down) because of what you've mentioned. As for leadership feats in general, DM-player bargaining is pretty much required. If you think these are bad, the necromantic feats can make the game pretty unplayable.
If you're using sufficiently powerful enemies (read-tome level scaling), it will take a lot of 1st level followers to take them down. Too many, in fact, to be practical.
I... don't see your point. The only time that your leadership score is ever going to be higher than 2.5 * your level is at the very early game, like level three at the very outside, more likely one or two. Past that it's really unlikely. A level 2 Aasimar with a leadership score is likely to be going around with not only a follower of his own level but two CR 1 and four CR 1/2s if you don't use this rule. Which is OK depending on the kind of game you're running (I don't tend to run games at levels 1-3 anyway), but if you let them into each encounter then you are effectively allowing that player to more than double its potential.

It's not really important, seeing as those levels are swingy as hell anyway, but it carries some weird implications if you don't set a cap on leadership at early levels.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

virgil wrote:EDIT: Damn, ninja'd. Blocks of tiny men? What do you mean by that? Do you take your 1st level follower score where you normally get 30 CR 1/2 followers and instead get 30 CR 1/2 follower army units?
That's not a bad way to handle it, I guess. The other way I'd look at is saying "Ok, you've got an army full of guys back home, but you can only directly lead a number of them at any given time based on your Leadership score."
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.