Coca Cola and religious insanity.

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Lago_AM3P
Duke

Coca Cola and religious insanity.

Post by Lago_AM3P »

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/israel.a ... ]Seriously. It's an old story, but what the hell, people?

Has religious fundamentalism ever actually produced progress in the long run?
Count Arioch the 28th
King

Re: Coca Cola and religious insanity.

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

No. In every single instance, it has stopped progress in it's tracks.
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

Would you please explain how religious fundamentalism comes into play here?

My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
technomancer
Journeyman

Post by technomancer »

The arabs hate the jews, and to an outsider, it seems to be religiously based. They hate them so much, that they're willing to boycott a non-denominational soda that is being sold isreal. Because of this guaranteed boycott, some companies (i.e. coke and pepsi) made a financial decision to sell to the much larger arab market, rather than the smaller isreal market. And then the Jewish people made a big stink about a purely financial decision, and turned it into an apparent religious decision, and the only people who won were the lawyers.

Fundamentalism is usually characterized by both a strict adherence to their religious texts, and by an intolerance for any other viewpoint (usually even of what would nominally be the same religion). That intolerance led to the situation, both on the islamic side (with the whole boycott thing) and the jewish side (making a religious stink about a financial decision).

At least, that's my theory on how this is a fundamentalist issue.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

...Coke couldn't have been anti-semetic, since they specifically sold cane-based soda at the same time as they'd already converted all other US manufacture to corn syrup - to continue selling during Passover.

Instead of yelling about it, perhaps someone could've bothered to invest in Coke instead of blaming them for not taking initiative.

It's false, snopes, you semetic harp.

-Crissa
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

People call me antisemitic for even using the word "Jew", not in any form of prejudiced context but just for saying it.

So what is the polite form? "Persons of Jewish religious inclination"?

One of my grandmothers (German descent) said "oh no, I hope you're not really anti-semite, are you?" and after reassuring her that it was just a joke about our nearby city being nicknamed Jewtown, she went to make a few racial slurs against Chinese and Japanese. :ugone2far:

So maybe this cultural sensitivity (or as I call it, 'fencebarking', like when those annoying little neighborhood dogs bark at you just for walking past and they do it until you are out of sight) is just a phase, possibly in reaction to the Holocaust and events leading up to the current Israeli-Arab conflict, which I hope will eventually smooth over.

However, that semi-dogmatic confrontation hinges on the ability of the Jewish nation(s) to relax the attitude that anyone making hotheaded statements about their 'Jewishness' probably has no connection to their ancient Nazi oppressors whatsoever...
And from what I read, it's usually political or religious, not on a matter of race.

So playing the pitiable 'race card' just makes anyone doing it seem like a fool these days, maybe since always but there are situations where it is applicable.
In most cases not, tho.

Darfur, however, is another matter. Why is it that not nearly as many people are getting worked up over Darfur as they should be???
I can't even read the few articles that pop up in the news without getting sick to the stomach, it makes me so pissed. We have yet another Holocaust happening right now, today and because the victims are black and poor, most of the world simply turns their backs.

:flames:
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Crissa
King

Post by Crissa »

Dafur is horrible, but there's little we can do about it. First, we had a Republican Congress and a Republican President, and they committed our forces to Iraq. You know, where there's more oil and no one wants us. So secondly, unlike our involvement in the Balkins, there's no government or central authority to protect, nor is there a specific bad actor industrial we can target.

But hey, basically all the fighting in Lebanon, Palestine, and the Sudan are currently our Pres.'s fault. Why, you might ask? He set up the situation by supporting the military assassination of democratic opponents, and denial of money and recognition of democratically elected islamic governing bodies. Along with nasty verbage from the leader of the free world...

Anyhow, it's a mess. And there's no tools available to us to use to clean it up until we can get rid of more of these Rs in office.

-Crissa
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

What's even worse is when I discuss these issues with non-Americans (which are.. well.. most of the world) and they usually assume that we, as common Americans, voted for Bush, or are directly responsible for his 'legal' douchebaggery.

It's 50/50, really, since we have bipartisan politics, but that kind of idiocy also shows how little foreigners know or want to accept us as the capitalistic ego-flashin blowhards we are.

I'd like to think there's a general fix for our current social-political/religious turmoil but the more I read about the issues, the more I see that it's the same shit passed through generations out of sheer laziness.
Simply because it's just too much work for most people to think for themselves, rather than to listen to dogma and spit it back out like a parrot.

And that's what drove me to become a misanthrope. I believe there is no hope for humanity, genetically and socially and on a large/long term scale nothing will change.
Or maybe I was born misanthropic, and it's a genetic random possibility to hate ones own species? Is there a purpose for that?

Sure it might be a little hypocritical, shortsighted, or tyrannical of me to state that I'd like to weed many undesirable behaviors and dispositions out of the human population, but it seems nothing but death and terror really shape minds and (at times, archaic and outdated) beliefs of most humans for the better.
People just don't change their core beliefs because there is usually no overwhelming reason to do so.
I'd like to give people a reason, cuz Mother Teresa and Gandhi weren't effective.

When I hear of accidents near my area caused by, say, a teen driving drunk at 90 miles an hour through some woods and crumpled their car against a tree, rendering themselves dead or braindamaged, the first thing I ask is "Have they passed on their genes?"
When the reply is "No they don't have any kids", I say "Ah, good."

Some people consider me evil. I wonder about that. Perhaps the answer lies in considering why I became a 'roleplaying gamer'...
To enact the various psychological debates of our times through slaying orcs and grabbing the loot of strangers?

I took a D&D alignment test recently and it said Neutral/Neutral, so maybe that sums it? :blush:
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1189823362[/unixtime]]I'd like to think there's a general fix for our current social-political/religious turmoil but the more I read about the issues, the more I see that it's the same shit passed through generations out of sheer laziness.
Simply because it's just too much work for most people to think for themselves, rather than to listen to dogma and spit it back out like a parrot.

Ding, ding, ding! The problem with the world is that people are generally stupid and lazy and have been ever since society got to the point where it was possible to be stupid and lazy and still survive.

sigma999 at [unixtime wrote:1189823362[/unixtime]]I took a D&D alignment test recently and it said Neutral/Neutral, so maybe that sums it? :blush:

I always get lawful good.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Laziness as a cultural disease probably started when a cave-people family sent some guys out to get a mammoth, and they brought it back.
The guys that stayed behind thought "WOW I love this job, protectin the women n kids! This is easy."
Some of them even decided they were better at it than the others, and so rank and heirarchy were determined among jobs that don't really fucking matter.
And so the division between those that work hard for meager pay and those that sit on their hairy asses waiting for someone else to bring home the mammoth was decided.

This is how corporate middle management began. >_<

tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

OK, I'm going to admit that I'm technically confused at this point. I'm thinking I'm loosing my knee jerk reactions and I'm starting to boil down things to quickly, and all I see in the syrup is corporate marketing to two sets of people who strongly hate each other and are both willing to suffer for the sake of that hate.

I can easily see something like this happening between Yankees and Red Sox fans for example. (I mean shit, there's a W.B. Mason sign on Fenway Park. There is a W.B. Mason sign at Yankee stadium as well. They provide the repeat games on the YES network; what the hell are they advertising in the park of the evil enemy? We must protest this outrage against humanity - and the American as Apple Pie Yankees - immediately!) :razz:

Coke - founded by a adicted snake oil salesman who lost the ability to sell his cocane laced wine due to one of the many prohibitions in the U.S.

Pepsi - it's a what? The very name is a lie about the product. They were the first to start the great "supersize" war by doubling the size of the product to 12oz and making that a sales pitch.

There really is no religious fundamentalism to see here ... move along now.

Now where was I ... oh yes, sports fudamentalism. Vile Red Sox fans and the team they worship. Curse at thee!

(But seriously, my cousin, who's father is still a loyal Yankee fan married someone from Boston and now lives there. They were teaching their children to say "Boo Yankees" along with their other first words. Religious fundamentalism has nothing compared with the evil of the "Red Sox Nation." They have spread their hatred across the country and now want to infect Japan with hordes of Yankee hating zealots. And now that they think they have the curse lifted they think they are on some sort of crusade and that God is on their side!)
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

The fundamentalism was not with the corporations but between Israel and the Arab nations.
The companies just got caught in the middle by their own greed and desire to expand in areas that they probably should avoid.