Anatomy of Failed Design: Cthulhutech

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Red Lantern wrote: Yes, numbnuts, there is magic in CT and mecha and so on. Where does that imply you can create fully grown, trained, educated soldiers out of nowhere overnight?
Because that's literally the backstory of the Nazzadi?

The Migou decided to make a race of vat grown super soldiers and they were good to go three years later. No rape camps required.

-Username17
Red Lantern
1st Level

Post by Red Lantern »

FrankTrollman wrote:
Red Lantern wrote: Yes, numbnuts, there is magic in CT and mecha and so on. Where does that imply you can create fully grown, trained, educated soldiers out of nowhere overnight?
Because that's literally the backstory of the Nazzadi?

The Migou decided to make a race of vat grown super soldiers and they were good to go three years later. No rape camps required.

-Username17
The Migo had tech the EoD didn't.

BTW, how'd that work out for them again? :rofl:
Last edited by Red Lantern on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
With the crimson light of rage that burns blood red
let evil souls be crushed by fear and dread.
With the power of my rightful hate
I BURN THE EVIL! THAT IS MY FATE!
FatR
Duke

Post by FatR »

hyzmarca wrote:
It contains four different adventures. The canon default is that you're supposed to help a guy called the Perfect Metis (who is a Metis without any deformities) take over the Black Spiral Dancers and free the Wyrm from its imprisonment. This is presented as a good thing.
No. That's one of the alternative scenarios. The canon default is that you (everyone who's still alive at this point) fight the Wyrm directly and maybe win, although the authors weren't very convincing about the ways you can get a chance to defeat a statless god-monster. The Perfect Metis by default is a Wyrmspawn abomination.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ah, of course. I knew that it was odd that there was a main ending where Downs babies were treated as a good thing by the republicans of the shapeshifter world.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
SubversionArts
1st Level

Post by SubversionArts »

Sorry for the necrothreading, but I chatted with the guy behind anydice.com, and he put together a script for showing the dice distributions for cthulhutech. I don't know how accurately this has been constructed, but it might be useful for people interested in this thread.

http://anydice.com/program/6177
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Jesus Christ almighty, those probability curves, man. And they throw in Critical Failures with that shit, too?
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

That is honestly saner than I expected when I read the description.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Remember that the number of dice vary and there's a variable flat offset as well. So basically good luck.

-Username17
martian_bob
1st Level

Post by martian_bob »

This will be changing in the second edition of the game. I'm running dice simulations now that take in to account rational use of Drama Points, ought to be less terrible.