Quickening the Pace- D&D combat needs to be faster

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

On iteratives there's still something satisfying about rolling an additional d20... as long as those iterative rolls are still on RNG. I like how Trailblazer replaced iteratives with:

* +6 BAB gives you the option for two attacks at -2
* +11 BAB gives you two attacks at -1
* +16 BAB gives you two attacks at no penalty

---

Would changing from a hitpoint to a hitbox system (everyone has 10 hitpoints) save much time? You roll attack, if you succeed your opponent rolls soak.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

So now instead of two rolls for attack and damage we have two rolls for attack and soak, and also that second roll is made by a different person. Why would you expect that to make things faster?
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Prak wrote:I think iteratives can be condensed into a single roll too- maybe something like each iterative you would normally get gives you a +2 to your roll, and for every 2 by which you exceed their AC you deal an extra attack worth of damage to a max of the iteratives you'd normally get.

So a 6th level full BAB character gets +6 to their attack, plus another 2 on full-attacks, and if they beat their enemy's AC by 2 or more, they deal (weapon+str)x2. If they beat it by four, they still only deal (weapon+str)x2.
Not really, no. Pretty similar to the pathfinder variant, so here:
FrankTrollman wrote:The Pathfinder Unchained one-roll attack routine is basically gibberish. It doesn't really interact properly with stuff like Two Weapon Fighting or Rapid Fire, it screws people who prioritize damage bonuses over to-hit bonuses (like sneak and power attackers), it completely fucks anyone who tries to defend themselves with armor class, and it makes rending beasts like the Girallon into inescapable death blenders.

If that sounds like it pretty much takes every viable weapon-based character to the woodshed for punishment beatings... you're almost right. I think the San Diego Supercharger doesn't much care. But the shield fighter, the archer fighter, and the ninja all cry tiny tears.

It wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea to make a new edition where people rolled one attack roll on their turn like 4th edition D&D. But you do have to rewrite all the warrior archetypes around that premise. Like the Tome of Battle, and not at all like Pathfinder Unchained.

-Username17
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Chamomile wrote:So now instead of two rolls for attack and damage we have two rolls for attack and soak, and also that second roll is made by a different person. Why would you expect that to make things faster?
rolling a single d20 vs a TN instead of 6d6 fireball damage, AC and Ref/Will saves working with the same mechanics, everything being standardized to 10 hitboxes, that sort of thing.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Different gamers place different priorities on fast versus deep when it comes to combat. For instance, HERO is fast enough for me where D&D generally isn't deep enough. I point this out because D&D or any game where each character gets one turn is lightning fast compared to any game where each character gets a variable number of turns each turn (HERO, Shadowrun). As somebody who's designed both kinds of games (one turn per round versus variable turns per round based on speed) I can attest that "one turn per man" is always substantially faster.

All but the most elaborate D&D combats can be resolved easily enough in an hour or less, as long as no one at the table is being "that guy" who doesn't know what he wants to do when his turn comes around, and is still pouring through rulebooks looking for the best spell to cast or whatever. (And personally, as a GM, I am a fan of the "ten second shot clock" rule for PC turns.)
D&D 3.0 is the first RPG I learned, and it's near-dungeonpunk take on fantasy has greatly informed my tastes and expectations. Generally speaking, I prefer D&D for fantasy, possibly because I'm not aware of another Iron Age fantasy game that even comes close to be as not bad as D&D 3.X, except maybe Pathfinder (it's worse than 3.x, but better than everything else).

If someone said "pick a system, I'll run a fantasy game with it" I would probably actually pick Mutants and Masterminds with a couple variant rules because it's even more flexible than d20, what with being point buy. But I know one person who runs M&M and he moved to San Diego last year.

So in absence of a better fantasy rpg, I work on tweaking D&D, even if it's just academic. D&D 3.X is not the best Iron Age fantasy game, it's the least bad and has a lot of problems that need to be fixed, like 30 second scuffles taking 30 minutes to resolve.

I completely agree with the jist of what Prak said in this post. D&D 3.X is simultaneously the "least bad" option AND "perfectly adequately", IMHO.
Last edited by Neurosis on Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)