What makes a satisfactory magic system?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Wiseman
Duke

What makes a satisfactory magic system?

Post by Wiseman »

So I've been doing some thinking. From my previous thread, I've figured that while some games have a passable magic system, I haven't found a description for one that's a good magic system. I've looked through Ars Magica and found it confusing as hell, and I've seen the reviews of Mage and Unknown Armies that are examples of bad magic systems. I've been punting some ideas around in my head, and am wondering, what do you all think it takes to makes a good magic system?
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

i don't think i have ever found a good magic system.
it's either worthless or horribly OP. broken in one way or another no matter what. either too complicated or boring.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
OgreBattle
King

Re: What makes a satisfactory magic system?

Post by OgreBattle »

Wiseman wrote:what do you all think it takes to makes a good magic system?
One that tells the stories you expect your game/setting to be telling. D&D fiction makes it sound like shooting lightning bolts and fireballs makes you a badass but in function it's weaker than a warrior shooting arrows and a wizard is more about summoning, illusions and teleport SWAT kills.

Another big flaw I see in some RPG's (Ok mostly D&D because that's what I'm familiar with) is when spell effects are written before general world effects such as burnging, slipperiness, and so on. I figure having a robust skill system for 'mundanes' to interact with the world and having a spell system that references those rules for their effects goes a long way in reeling in caster supremacy.

I'd say Shadowrun is very close to having a magic system that supports its fiction with some oddities at higher point value play. It's also a pretty flexible one in only taking up a handful of pages to deliver a multitude of spell effects.

After playing s'more Dark Souls I do appreciate the Vancian casting system of D&D more.

---

I've been pondering how a MTG style mana-tapping system could work for a D&D type RPG as a general action economy system (so 'mundane' guys also use it)
Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

I think what makes a good magic system is the same thing that makes a good system overall: rules that promote the kind of story you want to tell/play in.

So, for example, if you want to play stories where mages have world-shaking powers, Shadowrun system is a bad fit. Instead you will want something more like, say, Unknown Armies or Amber, whose rules allow you to do that kind of reality-bending mojo in a reasonably logical way.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

Limits on what magic can do make for a good system in that they can inspire creativity & more worldbuilding - provided those limits aren't as constricting as D&D 4e and are more like those in Shadowrun (before SR5.)

Fast to resolve is obviously helpful. Clearly explained is good likewise.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

Shadowrun's magic system is very good. Most of the problems with magic in shadowrun are content problems, not system-level.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Orion wrote:Shadowrun's magic system is very good. Most of the problems with magic in shadowrun are content problems, not system-level.
What do you mean? Mechanically in SR4, the evocation spells are a trap to use, since they can be dodged on top of being resisted. Given, there's other spells that suck as well, with certain spell effects being "top 10" and what not. Could be SR4 particularly, so I don't know if prior editions had more viable "lightning bolt" spells or what have you (when people could make it work at all anyway).
wiseman wrote: what do you all think it takes to makes a good magic system?
One that doesn't overshadow the other player character concepts, or at least isn't an exclusive system with all the toys (I.E. give the warrior-types fun toys too dammit). Also other characters can interact with the "magic" in the world in some way. So legendary blacksmiths can make powerful magical items, hermits make potions/elixirs/oils, ninjas w/magical traps/glyphs, and warrior types better suited to use magical items due to their prowess and lack of ignorance of the worlds "tech".

Also one that likely doesn't overlap/replace into other roles? So none of that nonsense where casters can take someones job and do it better. If they can substitute in that role in some way, needs to be worse than classes devoted to that sort of thing, without some devoted investment (likely making the resources not worth it, kinda like D&D evocation).
Last edited by Aryxbez on Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

Aryxbez wrote: What do you mean? Mechanically in SR4, the evocation spells are a trap to use, since they can be dodged on top of being resisted. Given, there's other spells that suck as well, with certain spell effects being "top 10" and what not. Could be SR4 particularly, so I don't know if prior editions had more viable "lightning bolt" spells or what have you (when people could make it work at all anyway).
Shadowrun's magic system isn't perfect, but mechanically it's pretty concise. Individual spells may very well be niche or under powered but generally speaking once you've read the magic rules you should at least know how to roll for and against just about any given spell and the notation for how long things last is actually clear and consistent. By contrast games like D&D and Vampire often have balance issues between individual spells plus spells so unique that they're are effectively separate and complex class features unto themselves like animate dead. It's lame that some of the Shadowrun writers were huffing paint when they wrote up the damage and drain codes for elemental spells, but at least we're talking about easily parsed math problems rather than slap fighting over what alter self gets you.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Yeah, the fact that Firebolt is actually hella lame in all but the most contrived circumstances is not a major problem with the system. Combat spells aren't very important, and the fact that there's only a couple of them that anyone would ever actually want (the stun and physical, single and area versions of Power Bolt and Mana Bolt, basically) isn't a big deal. The point of Shadowrun Magic is that it gets ten spells per page and has broad coverage with the spells it has. And it manages to do this without making it be particularly unclear what spells actually do.

Shadowrun magic is concise, playable, and coherent. There are certainly top ten lists for spells and definitely some spells that you will never ever learn because they suck - but actually game balance is pretty good. I don't know what more you'd even want out of a spellcasting system.

-Username17
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

also, if you massively reduced the drain codes for the elemental nukes, people would consider learning one.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

One that permits you to make interesting choices. It's not fundamentally different than any other rules system in that way.
"Most men are of no more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into excrement." - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci