Movies, specifically Horror and Creature Flicks

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Movies, specifically Horror and Creature Flicks

Post by Prak »

my girlfriend and I just got back from the video store after not really finding what I originally wanted... 300 and a Monster Movie with demons...(we wound up with Silent Hill and Legend) I was wondering if you guys could suggest some well done, interesting, monster movies with demons as the main antagonists(protagonists would be good too, except that's never gonna happen in this supposedly not-christian country called america...) anything out there?

also... what the hell is the order for the Romero zombie movies? Nearest I could figure it goes Night, Dawn, Day, Remake of Dawn, Land, is this right? Also, what the hell should I look for when it comes to Night, there's like four of them...
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
PhoneLobster
King

Re: Movies, specifically Horror and Creature Flicks

Post by PhoneLobster »

Hell Boy?
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
MrWaeseL
Duke

Post by MrWaeseL »

Constantine? I dunno if it's good because I've never seen it, but Hellboy suggested above is worth a rent.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

My friend says Hellboy is awesome as well. I've never seen it, though.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
josephbt
Knight

Post by josephbt »

Demons

Demon Knight - a Tales from the crypt full lenght feature. One of the best demons ever. Won't spoil anything

El dia de la bestia - a priest and some rockers fight against Satan. Spanish flick, may be hard to get, i've seen it on TV.,

Hellboy - a really good comic-to-screen adaptation. The comics rule, but the movie is close behind.

Hellboy - The Storm of Swords. A cartoon. Looooots of demons.

Hellraisers...don't go past #4

Critters

Host - a korean movie about a mutated amphibian. Actually, there is a story about a dysfunctional family and public responsibility in there.

Feast - the plot: a bunch of critters want to eat a bunch of people. The people don't want to be eaten. Hilarity ensues.

Slither - err, it's got space snake snail zombies...what's there more to want?

Tremors 1-4 - seriously, you haven't watched critter movies until you have watched these ones.

The critters - it's about critters. Go figure.

Atmosphere

Descent - strong characters and a really, really good mood.
engi

Blood for the Blood God!
CalibronXXX
Knight-Baron

Post by CalibronXXX »

Yes, the Tremors movies are a must.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

josephbt at [unixtime wrote:1187624128[/unixtime]]Demons

Demon Knight - a Tales from the crypt full lenght feature. One of the best demons ever. Won't spoil anything

El dia de la bestia - a priest and some rockers fight against Satan. Spanish flick, may be hard to get, i've seen it on TV.,

Hellboy - a really good comic-to-screen adaptation. The comics rule, but the movie is close behind.

Hellboy - The Storm of Swords. A cartoon. Looooots of demons.

Hellraisers...don't go past #4

Critters

Host - a korean movie about a mutated amphibian. Actually, there is a story about a dysfunctional family and public responsibility in there.

Feast - the plot: a bunch of critters want to eat a bunch of people. The people don't want to be eaten. Hilarity ensues.

Slither - err, it's got space snake snail zombies...what's there more to want?

Tremors 1-4 - seriously, you haven't watched critter movies until you have watched these ones.

The critters - it's about critters. Go figure.

Atmosphere

Descent - strong characters and a really, really good mood.

Seen Hellboy and Descent, neither are really creature flicks, Hellboy's an action/comic book flick and Descent is a suspense thriller with something vaguely critter-like in it... the others sound good, definately want to see feast, saw the trailors, read about it in fangoria, etc. need to find it...

what's the actual order of the Hellraiser movies? and whats wrong past #4?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Seen Hellboy and Descent, neither are really creature flicks, Hellboy's an action/comic book flick and Descent is a suspense thriller with something vaguely critter-like in it... the others sound good, definately want to see feast, saw the trailors, read about it in fangoria, etc. need to find it...

what's the actual order of the Hellraiser movies?

Hellraiser movies
and whats wrong past #4?

Killer video game...oooooh
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

thank you Laress, We've seen Deader, and will definately look for the others.

Rob_Knotts
Apprentice

Post by Rob_Knotts »

You've probably seen it, but my first suggestion would be Nightbreed. Kind of an indulgent freak-fest from Clive Barker (much more so than the Hellraiser series), and one of those films you'd never get World of Darkness writers to admit seeing:uptosomething:

Pan's Labyrinth also has a good amount of non-human antagonists, on top of a pretty clear allegory about a girl learning about adulthood.

Not exactly a demonic movie, but you might also look at The Cell, about a psychotherapist experiencing the imagination and subconscious of a serial killer as virtual reality, with quite a few disturbing monstrosities and surreal images. Only real problem with the movie is getting your head around the casting: Vince Vaughn, Vincent D'Onofrio, and Jennifer Lopez as the rather 2-dimensional but otherwise-tolerable therapist.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Rob_Knotts at [unixtime wrote:1187853508[/unixtime]]You've probably seen it, but my first suggestion would be Nightbreed. Kind of an indulgent freak-fest from Clive Barker (much more so than the Hellraiser series), and one of those films you'd never get World of Darkness writers to admit seeing:uptosomething:

Pan's Labyrinth also has a good amount of non-human antagonists, on top of a pretty clear allegory about a girl learning about adulthood.

Not exactly a demonic movie, but you might also look at The Cell, about a psychotherapist experiencing the imagination and subconscious of a serial killer as virtual reality, with quite a few disturbing monstrosities and surreal images. Only real problem with the movie is getting your head around the casting: Vince Vaughn, Vincent D'Onofrio, and Jennifer Lopez as the rather 2-dimensional but otherwise-tolerable therapist.

Will definately look for Nightbreed, and we've seen Pan's Labyrinth, and thought it was great... Cell might be worth a look too...