The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Demonic Letters

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob_Knotts
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Demonic Letters Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Flipping through channels tonight I came across the film The Golden Child, and I remembered the one thing in the film that always stuck with me: the villain's inablity to pronounce the letter "J", an unavoidable "tell" revealing him to really be a demon in disguise. As a teenage scifi/fantasy fan in the late 80s this made perfect sense to me, but I've never really understood why, and still don't. Anybody familiar with any relatively well-known literary or myth/folklore source for this sort of demonic trait?
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Demonic Letters Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Demons in Asian sources have a tendency to use austerities, either on purpose or mandatorily. Basically as they grow in power, they collect more restrictions and do more painful things to themselves in addition to getting more power (in many versions they pick up the restrictions to get the power, and in others they getthe power and the restrictions come with it).

Anything which comes ultimately from the Hindu tradition is all over that stuff. And that means that it shows up in a lot of East Asia through Buddhism.

-Frank
Maj
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Demonic Letters Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RobK wrote:
I remembered the one thing in the film that always stuck with me: the villain's inablity to pronounce the letter "J", an unavoidable "tell" revealing him to really be a demon in disguise.

Someone really liked the word shibboleth.

Wink
Rob_Knotts
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Demonic Letters Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maj wrote:
Someone really liked the word shibboleth.

Wink
Ah, thank you. Can't believe I never heard of that before, must not have sunk in. Always something new to learn. *sigh*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: