E3 2015

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

Kaelik wrote:It also makes no fucking sense. They already wrote the program for one player with control over the bots.

It would have taken like 20 lines of code to make a two player game as well.
I'm not sure they did. According to the article, there are separate sets of levels for single player and 3 player.
Blade
Knight-Baron

Post by Blade »

Add me to the list of people who enjoyed Invisible War. It's probably my favorite Deus Ex, though it lacks the philosophical and political discussions from the first one.

I had fun with Human Revolution, but I didn't find it exceptionally good. I've found that the sandboxy parts didn't mesh well with the story. After a while I realized that Jensen probably had no good reason to be breaking in that random guy's apartment and steal everything of value, yet the game was rewarding me for doing it. So I kept doing it.

"I'm Adam Jensen and there's this whole conspiration and a job I have to do and people I need to save... oh is that a manhole I see? Time to search the sewers if nobody lost a augmentation booster pack in there!"
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

maglag wrote:The problem is that only one player gets to control bot(s).

Can you still call it symetrical co-op when one player controls two characters and another controls just one?
Not necessarily, but you can call it co-op. Asymmetrical two-player co-op is better than no two-player co-op. And it's pretty easy to work out a thing where you assign control of the bot to one of the two players.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
rampaging-poet
Knight

Post by rampaging-poet »

They handled that problem just fine in The Legend of Zelda: Four Sword Adventures. In three-player mode, Player 1 controlled the extra Link by default but any of the other players could take control of him by picking him up and pressing the "direct my bots" button.
DSMatticus wrote:I sort my leisure activities into a neat and manageable categorized hierarchy, then ignore it and dick around on the internet.
My deviantArt account, in case anyone cares.
coins
NPC

Post by coins »

Blade wrote:Add me to the list of people who enjoyed Invisible War. It's probably my favorite Deus Ex, though it lacks the philosophical and political discussions from the first one.

I had fun with Human Revolution, but I didn't find it exceptionally good. I've found that the sandboxy parts didn't mesh well with the story. After a while I realized that Jensen probably had no good reason to be breaking in that random guy's apartment and steal everything of value, yet the game was rewarding me for doing it. So I kept doing it.

"I'm Adam Jensen and there's this whole conspiration and a job I have to do and people I need to save... oh is that a manhole I see? Time to search the sewers if nobody lost a augmentation booster pack in there!"
I thought it's ok because it's not like Jensen gets any huge support from his boss, which is odd. But, hey, it mesh well with the "I never asked for this" meme.

meshes*
Last edited by coins on Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Yeah, HR had a huge giant gaping problem with the whole "You are an RPG character, so you need to grind to acquire loot and skills, but you work for a giant company that has absolutely no reason at all not to provide you with all these things."

Deus Ex 1 managed it okayish by having you be the new special aug type, so maybe they didn't want to nanite all over you just yet.

Invisible War managed it by having everyone you ever worked for be constantly trying to kill you.

HR just said "Eh fuck it, the guy who really really really really wants you to get auged to shit, and who you work for, and who has no reason to distrust you at all, and who stands to gain directly from all your actions for the first like 3-4 levels, he will give you one praxis kit, and only one, because RPG!"
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:
maglag wrote:The problem is that only one player gets to control bot(s).

Can you still call it symetrical co-op when one player controls two characters and another controls just one?
Not necessarily, but you can call it co-op. Asymmetrical two-player co-op is better than no two-player co-op. And it's pretty easy to work out a thing where you assign control of the bot to one of the two players.
It worked out pretty well in Secret of Mana, a game from 1993. SOM had a three-character party and supported one, two, or three players. Characters that weren't being controlled by a player were controlled by the computer, but either player could switch to a computer controlled character at will.