The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
microbiology 101

View previous topic :: View next topic  
josephbt
Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: microbiology 101 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Although this is a question for anyone that had some sort of microbiology, i'm guessing that Frank is going to answer it.

What do you call the process of placing some microorganisms(m.o.) onto agar substrate(or any other kind, doesn't matter)?
I don't have a dictionary here at my new job(mic. lab), the internet connection is godawful and people frown when u use it, online croatian-english dictionary is giving me shit anyway, no net at home, etc.

I'm thinking "inoculation", but i have no clue if it is the right word.

Blood for the Blood God!
erik
King

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: microbiology 101 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"Culture" might be the word you're looking for. It's what first sprung to mind as I recalled my biology major heydays.

I believe I'm backed up by wikipedia on this.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agar_plate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microbiological_culture

mean_liar
Duke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: microbiology 101 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

'Culture' is a noun used to describe the bacteria (a "bacterial culture"). The process you're describing is preparing the culture.

There are several different methods of culture preparation, depending on what you want to accomplish.

"Inoculation" is definitely not the right word.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: microbiology 101 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The lingo for the action is usually "streaking a plate".
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: microbiology 101 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Streaking is the actual act of running the inoculation loop on the media. Getting the bacteria into he agar is indeed called "inoculating" as you remember.

Here's
a decent discussion of how to inoculate an agar plate.

-Frank
josephbt
Knight

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: microbiology 101 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks all.

Btw, i have no problems with doing it(i am working in a microbiology lab), i just have problems with translations.

My coworkers don't know english, so if i get stuck, there is no help.

Blood for the Blood God!
erik
King

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: microbiology 101 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

mean_liar wrote:
'Culture' is a noun used to describe the bacteria (a "bacterial culture"). The process you're describing is preparing the culture.

Ahem.

That is one proper use of the word, however it is also usable as a verb, as I suggested.

To quote a dictionary.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=culture wrote:

tr.v. cul·tured, cul·tur·ing, cul·tures
To cultivate.
To grow (microorganisms or other living matter) in a specially prepared nutrient medium.
To use (a substance) as a medium for culture: culture milk.

There are really lots of different things to call the process and lots of lingo for describing the process. I've been to several different labs and each used slightly different terms (streaking, spreading, etc.). Didn't matter too much as long as the idea was gotten across.
rapanui
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: microbiology 101 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I've always used "streaking" for when I use a loop on an agar plate, and tend to use "culture" when referring to bacteria in broth (no solid agar).
tzor
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: microbiology 101 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Biology is so strange. Some people call it steaking others call it culture. I've never thought of streaking as culture and I don't really want to equate the two.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: microbiology 101 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

rapanui wrote:
I've always used "streaking" for when I use a loop on an agar plate, and tend to use "culture" when referring to bacteria in broth (no solid agar).

That's what my girlfriend said when I asked her.
rapanui
Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: microbiology 101 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually Tzor, "streaking" or running naked in public is indeed a cultural marker. I'm not going to go do research on just how universal a phenomenon it is, but my guess that it's fairly limited to certain age-groups within a narrow range of societies.
erik
King

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: microbiology 101 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I first heard the term "streaking" when interviewing at a lab, and was forced to snicker when I met people whose role was as a streaker.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: microbiology 101 Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

rapanui wrote:
Actually Tzor, "streaking" or running naked in public is indeed a cultural marker. I'm not going to go do research on just how universal a phenomenon it is, but my guess that it's fairly limited to certain age-groups within a narrow range of societies.

Might be like Wikipedia vandalism, of which 90% is apparently done by boys age 12-16.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: