Airians

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Aryxbez wrote:
AndreiChekov wrote: So, completely redid them into an Egyptian themed thing that most of you will hate.
Given I'm a slight fan of Hawkman/Hawkwoman from DCAU, I think its fine and cool conceptually.

For races, I think its cool they have scaling options per level. However they do seem a bit strong for a race, especially "Immunity to Mind Control" for Horus. Since AC bonus already exists for Gnomes/Dwarves, Fast Healing is so minor of a benefit it works for a racial benefit, and mostly be nice for low levels & post-battle healing (yay no wands needed if not in a hurry). Personally, I have no issues with just a straight, single stat bonus (My own games just let you choose one). For an "official" race I can understand the offering of a couple stats to choose, otherwise I'd keep it open. The Write-up is also really concise, so fine regards there as well.
Well, the eye of horus was a symbol for protection and healing. So, I took the main benefits from protection from evil and just put them into the race. I could change it to immunity to mind control from evil creatures, or even evil and chaotic creatures. Or I could scrap those things and just give them Protection from Evil as a spell like ability. However, I prefer passives in my games.

Honestly though, I don't actually like the egyptian themed thing as much, because calling them Aeries gives them ties to Ares. I spent a few hours yesterday researching Ares to write a prestige class for the race. But, now that I think about it, there is no reason that those two cannot be combined. I could have the prestige class called Irikara Heretic. As in one who turns from the gods that are their patrons and follow Ares instead.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I don't think that mind control is that overpowering. It doesn't give them immunity to mind affecting spells, so sleep, and colour spray... etc still work on them. They are just immune to Geas and Dominate. I think that is a bit of a specific enough immunity to not unbalance the game, it just gives them better chances against monsters that use those sorts of tactics.
Last edited by AndreiChekov on Wed May 20, 2015 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok. The Aeries/Aries thing makes no sense. If you had the fluff say that Aries gave them wings to make them better warriors, I could see it, but you're dealing less with "Birdpeople" and more with "Aries pressganged Daedalus into making wings for a race of people and Aries applied divine phlebotinum to make them breed true.

But then you lose the tie to air elementals.

What you could do is have them originate from humans who made a deal with djinn and got a pact with lesser air elemental spirits out of it as well as wings. I would go with Malaki as a name in that case, which is ...sort of... the arabic word for angel. (look, Google doesn't give me the word in roman characters, and I can't read arabic)
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Prak wrote:Ok. The Aeries/Aries thing makes no sense. If you had the fluff say that Aries gave them wings to make them better warriors, I could see it, but you're dealing less with "Birdpeople" and more with "Aries pressganged Daedalus into making wings for a race of people and Aries applied divine phlebotinum to make them breed true.
Well, the god's name is Ares. Aries is a sheep. I don't think flying sheep-people were what you were after.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

The winged humans in Greek myth are the Boreads, literal sons of the north wind.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Well, what I have decided to go with is keeping the Egypt themed version, and I am tweaking my Ares prestige class to match that, calling it Irikara heretic. Because for some mysterious reason I want a flying race-specific prestige class for Ares.

Incorporating a bunch of fear effects into the class for Phobos and Deimos, and there is the myth where Ares turns into a bear and kills Adonis, so there is some bear form in it as well.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

So something like this?
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Wait..... this is a bear thread?
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

TiaC wrote:So something like this?
I am curious to know how you knew that I was intending to keep the wings in bear form.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

ishy wrote:Wait..... this is a bear thread?
Yes, but bearmanbird, not bear world. Although, I have gotten everything from this thread that I needed, so I'm okay with it descending into bearworld now.

Just look at this first, and critique please.

http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56037
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

AndreiChekov wrote:
TiaC wrote:So something like this?
I am curious to know how you knew that I was intending to keep the wings in bear form.
Because the whole point of the race is that it flies. Of course you were going to keep the wings in bear form.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

They are just immune to Geas and Dominate
The reason why I thought it was overpowered, because I conflated it with "Mind-affecting" effects, so I assumed it turned off all effects as such. However, "Mind Control" isn't really a descriptive tag, so it sounds like you should probably specify that. I wouldn't known what it applied to if I removed the conflation error on my part. Also, I'm good with passives here as well, and if ye had to go with a spell-like ability, I'd just say its "always on" anyway (so may as well go with a passive ability as ye have it now).

Seriously though, if I were making the race, I would've just called them Birdman, and be done with it. Course, I specifically prefer this type of race to a more literal avian look.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

I was going to suggest naming them after Aeolus, the master of winds in Greek myth.

Then again, you'd get something weird like Aeolians from that. Doesn't seem to roll off the tongue too well.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Do they hate die earthenjuden?
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Schwarzkopf wrote:Do they hate die earthenjuden?
I haven't designed those yet, so there is nothing for them to hate. However, I would probably name them Erdjuden. And make them look like potatoes.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

Icarian might work. Named after a presumed father of their race. Apparently the name also applies to Utopian communities from France that practiced a form of communism in the United States (that included equality of men and women pre-Civil War). So yeah - interesting things you could apply from the Utopian movement and the Daedalus myth.