Aeries (Race)

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Aeries (Race)

Post by AndreiChekov »

The Irikara

According to Irikara legend, the world was created by two birds, Irik and Ara. The first of their kind formed were Thoth and Horus. When those to deities took flight, their feathers fell to the ground, and became the first Irikara. They call themselves Irikara to honor the creators of the world, and there are two lineages of Irikara, each one dedicated to their parent deity.

Irikara look almost identical to humans, except that they have wings. Those wings are either the wings of an ibis or the wings of a hawk. Hawk winged Irikara usually serve as warriors and leaders, and follow Horus. Ibis winged Irikara serve as sages, scribes, and other positions that require intelligence, and follow Thoth. While there is some rivalry between the two groups, it is not malicious.

They are led by a Pharaoh who has supreme command, he is always a Horusite, and the rising of the sun is attributed to him. Under him is a council of chiefs that rule their various tribes. They have one great city where the pharaoh resides.

Irikara use the same tables as humans for random race height, weight, and age. However, Irikara are extremely light, and weigh only half as a much as a human of the same size.

Mechanics
• Type Humanoid
• Land Speed of 30 ft.
• Size of medium
• Fly Speed: 30 ft. with average maneuverability Irikara cannot fly while carrying a medium or heavy load. Flying requires a standard action to maintain. From 3rd level onwards, flying no longer requires a standard action to maintain. At 6th level, their fly speed increases to 60 ft. with good maneuverability.
• Dark-vision out to 60 ft.
• Wing Aided Jump: Irikara can use their wings to boost their jumping, giving them a +10 racial bonus to jump checks.

Attributes of an Irikara of Thoth
Thoth, the god of knowledge granted his Ibis winged following great intellect, and the secrets of the Book of Thoth.
• +2 to Intelligence or wisdom (This is chosen at character creation, and can never be changed.)
• +2 racial bonus to knowledge checks. All knowledge skills are always class skills.
• +2 racial bonus to decipher script.
• Speak with Animals: Once per day, as a spell-like ability, an Irikara of Thoth can cast speak with animals, with a caster level equal to their hit die.
• Commune with Thoth: Beginning at 10th level, once per day, as a spell-like ability, an Irikara of Thoth can cast Commune with Thoth, with a caster level equal to their hit die. This spell functions the same way as a commune spell, except that it only allows contact with Thoth.

Attributes of an Irikara of Horus
Horus, the Sky, god of kingship and sun granted his falcon winged following the charisma to lead nations, and the freedom of the sky. He also gives them the powers of the Eye of Horus.
• +2 to Dexterity or Charisma (This is chosen at character creation, and can never be changed.)
• +10 movement speed in flight.
• Immunity to mind affecting spells and abilities from evil creatures, and +2 racial bonus to saves against mind affecting spells and abilities.
• +2 sacred bonus to armour class against evil creatures.
• Fast healing = to ¼ of hit die, minimum 1.

EDIT: clearly defined the imunities from the Horusite Irikara.
Last edited by AndreiChekov on Sat May 23, 2015 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Irikara Heretic

Prereqs
• 5 HD
• Must be an Irikara
• Proficiency with longspear and shields
• Patron Deity must be Ares, alternatively you can take Ares to become your patron deity when entering this class.

Skills: Same as a class you had before entering this one + intimidate. +4 per level.

BAB: Good
Saves: good fort and will
LevelClass Features
1Strong Arms, Ares Theritas , Battlelust, Flyby Attack
2Phobos, Deimos
3Domains, Pounce
4Gift of Ares, Swiftness
5Slayer of Titans
6Kydoimos, Super Bear

Level 1
Strong Arms (Ex): An Irikara heretic can wield a longspear in one hand without penalty. In addition he deals an extra 1d8 of damage with a longspear or shield, provided he is at a higher elevation than his target.

Ares Theritas (Su): Like Ares, an Irikara heretic can turn into a dire bear. This takes a full-round action, and with a full-round action he can revert to his original form. He keeps his feats and fly speed while in bear form, but not any other class abilities.

Battlelust (Ex): Irikara heretics get stronger as they take more injuries. For every 15 hit points lost, he gains +10 to his movement speeds, +2 to attack rolls, and deals an 1d6 of damage with each successful melee attack. This extra damage is not multiplied by critical hits, and is not affected by damage reduction.
when he falls below 50% hit points, he deals 2 points of con damage with each successful attack.

Flyby Attack: An Irikara heretic gains flyby attack as a bonus feat. This ability is kept in bear form.
Level 2
Phobos (Su):An Irikara heretic gains the ability to screech when he makes an aerial charge attack. Before the attack happens, every creature within 30 ft. of his flight path must make a will saving throw with a DC of 10 + ½ hit die + strength mod, or be shaken for 5 rounds. If a creature succeeds on its saving throw, it is immune to this ability for 24 hours. Deaf creatures are not affected by this. (A shaken character takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks and ability checks.)

Deimos (Su): Whenever a Irikara heretic deals melee damage to a creature, that creature must succeed on a Will saving throw with a DC of 10 + ½ Hit die + strength mod, or be panicked until the beginning of your next round. (A panicked creature must drop anything it holds and
flee at top speed from the source of its fear, as well as any other
dangers it encounters, along a random path. It can’t take any other
actions. In addition, the creature takes a –2 morale penalty on saving
throws, skill checks, and ability checks. If cornered, a panicked
creature cowers and does not attack, typically using the total defense
action in combat. A panicked creature can use special abilities,
including spells, to flee; indeed, the creature must use such means if
they are the only way to escape.)
Level 3
Domains: An Irikara heretic gains access to the chaos, evil, war, and destruction domains. He gains the granted power of each domain, and has domain spell slots as a cleric of his hit die. He uses his Wisdom modifier to determine save DCs of the spells (10 + 1/2 hit die + wis mod), but does not require a wisdom score to be able to cast the spells. His caster level is equal to his hit die. If he finishes this class progression, then the spell slots continue to increase as a cleric of his hit die.

Pounce (Ex): An Irikara heretic may make a full-attack action at the end of a charge, or he can make a full-attack action as a standard action, and lose this ability for 4 rounds. This ability is kept in bear form.
Level 4
Gift of Ares (Su): An Irikara heretic has a 50% chance to completely ignore all damage from critical hits and sneak attacks.

Swiftness (Ex): An Irikara heretic gains a +60 bonus to his movement speeds.
Level 5
Slayer of Titans:When making opposed checks against creatures larger than you, you count as your size +2 categories. In addition, you get a +4 dodge bonus to AC against larger creatures, and a +4 bonus to saves against poison.
Level 6
Kydeimos (Su): The noise of battle makes Irikara heretics rage in a fury of bloodlust making them look scarier. When using his deimos and phobos abilities, an Irikara heretic deals 2d6 of damage to each affected creature. When he deals damage against an enemy below 50% hit points, or affected by his Deimos or Phobos abilities, he deals an extra 6d6 of damage.

Super Bear (Su):When turning into a bear, an Irikara heretic gains a +10 bonus to his strength and constitution. And he deals an extra 4d8 with his melee attacks. He keeps all of the abilities that this class gives him when in bear form.
EDIT: fixed battle lust, and some minor points of grammar. clarified a few abilities.
Last edited by AndreiChekov on Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

One thing I can suggest is changing all references to "hit die" when equating to things like caster level to "Character Level". The "hit die" nomenclature has caused too many arguments when referencing things like save DCs for SLAs for stock 3.5 creatures, and has only been rarely clarified by the terminology "racial hit die".
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

For the race, you should clarify that the immunity to "Mind Control" is referring to dominate and Geas effects (it's not a tag by itself). The stat alignments for the race seems it would conflict somewhat with the Prestige Class. Given you can't Weapon Finesse with a spear (Unless its meant for [Tome]), and the warrior race portion is dex based.

I haven't done a SGT, or compared the numbers in detail, but I imagine the extra dice over time + wounding ability helps ensure this class stays relevant in meleeing opposition. I was wondering if instead of dice for the wounding, it should be a straight value equal to 1/3 level, although I've failed to compute for multiple instance of lost HP. Having looked at what the Dire Bear offers, and what TWF traditionally does for 6th+ level, 8th level pounce seems to be relevant for the level you get it.

The Domains, I can understand why you get each one, considering all their 1-4th slots aren't that impressive. Aside from later on spells, they don't really expand your options much, simple damage-like spells may simply not use over 60ft-120 pounces (120ft-240ft flight at 9th).

Lastly, is this supposed to be a D10 Hit die for the class or what?
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Both Dominate and Geas are (Compulsion) effects, so that's probably the tag you should use for the immunity/resistance.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Aryxbez wrote:For the race, you should clarify that the immunity to "Mind Control" is referring to dominate and Geas effects (it's not a tag by itself). The stat alignments for the race seems it would conflict somewhat with the Prestige Class. Given you can't Weapon Finesse with a spear (Unless its meant for [Tome]), and the warrior race portion is dex based.
This is because hoplites fought with a spear and shield, and the spears were usually quite long. I could just add using weapon finesse for it, but the saves for the abilities are all strength, and having a +2 to dex is not a terrible thing for a melee type, because most of them want a dex of atleast 14, and those a points to be used elsewhere
I haven't done a SGT, or compared the numbers in detail, but I imagine the extra dice over time + wounding ability helps ensure this class stays relevant in meleeing opposition. I was wondering if instead of dice for the wounding, it should be a straight value equal to 1/3 level, although I've failed to compute for multiple instance of lost HP. Having looked at what the Dire Bear offers, and what TWF traditionally does for 6th+ level, 8th level pounce seems to be relevant for the level you get it.
My own SGTs are not finished yet. I figured I would post what I have from my research in Mythology first. Most of what you have said is the same reasoning I used in the original design. The thing about rolling dice for the Con dmg was simply because I like rolling dice. There is no mechanical reason for that.
The Domains, I can understand why you get each one, considering all their 1-4th slots aren't that impressive. Aside from later on spells, they don't really expand your options much, simple damage-like spells may simply not use over 60ft-120 pounces (120ft-240ft flight at 9th).
Those are simply the domains that a cleric of Ares gets in Deities and Demigods. Not actually any thought there. I was toying around with granting the rest of the spells even as you continue taking other classes, but that would make 2 levels of this class a ridiculous dip for a martial.
Lastly, is this supposed to be a D10 Hit die for the class or what?
Glad you pointed that out. I am torn between d8 and d10. Some mathematics and SGTs are required before I finalize that.
angelfromanotherpin wrote:Both Dominate and Geas are (Compulsion) effects, so that's probably the tag you should use for the immunity/resistance.
Thank you, I haven't finished the fine details of the class/race yet, just the general purpose and abilities of them.

EDIT: fixed tags. Sry bout that
Last edited by AndreiChekov on Thu May 21, 2015 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Andrei your tags are broken somewhere.

Also Battlelust is begging for abuse. Don't do that.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

...You Lost Me wrote:Andrei your tags are broken somewhere.

Also Battlelust is begging for abuse. Don't do that.
I can change how it works, but getting better for having less hp is something that isn't leaving. I suppose I could instead give them a few maneuvers that they can pick from at each hp tier.

And, now that I think about it, they can have possibly 60 hp at that level. which means theoretically 5d4 COn dmg, which is an auto kill. average, and this is an estimation, of 12 dmg per hit. and ontop of weapon dmg which with a long spear is 1d8+str(+4)+1d8 for strength 13, 2 attacks... and each 2 points of con dmg... is 6 more dmg... I see where this is going, and I didn't really think about that. 35 dmg at lvl 6 and then the enemies have worse fort saves against your party casters...

Later on this just increases. if you have 150 hp, potential 14d4 con dmg.

I was thinking in text there, so there are some leaps.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

RelentlessImp wrote:One thing I can suggest is changing all references to "hit die" when equating to things like caster level to "Character Level". The "hit die" nomenclature has caused too many arguments when referencing things like save DCs for SLAs for stock 3.5 creatures, and has only been rarely clarified by the terminology "racial hit die".
Or people can just learn what it actually means in the game.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
RelentlessImp
Knight-Baron

Post by RelentlessImp »

AndreiChekov wrote:
RelentlessImp wrote:One thing I can suggest is changing all references to "hit die" when equating to things like caster level to "Character Level". The "hit die" nomenclature has caused too many arguments when referencing things like save DCs for SLAs for stock 3.5 creatures, and has only been rarely clarified by the terminology "racial hit die".
Or people can just learn what it actually means in the game.
People are proven to be unwilling to do that, though, given the general nerd fights about the subject on the internet.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Tons of work lately so I have been slow on this.

Battlelust: Irikara heretics get stronger as they take more injuries. For every 15 hit points lost, he gains +10 to his movement speeds, +2 to attack rolls, and deals an 1d6 of damage with each successful melee attack.
when he falls below 50% hit points, he deals an extra 2 points of con damage with each successful attack. (There is some abuse available here with iterative attacks, and two weapon fighting, but that's a potential of 8 dmg at level 6, so I'm not particularly worried.)
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x