shirak
Knight

Re: Graduation

Post by shirak »

nova88 at [unixtime wrote:1182012209[/unixtime]]
ah,the joys,the unfailing logic of anecdotal evidence
and hasty generalization..........

Compared to, say, sarcasm? ;)

The problem of getting good teachers is a version of Ye Olde Inspiration Problem, ie how to get people to care about their job and do it to their fullest. I don't know of any method that works. Except for mind-controlling people or something and that's really not a solution. So really. We should be grateful a guy we know to be decent and responsible is going to be in a position to influence the young.

Here's to fbmf turning Texas into a Roleplaying Heaven!
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

The best part is the school where I'll be teaching is open to the idea of a gaming club. Now, I will be teaching in a middle school, so it'll probably CCG's, but I thought I would try it.

Game On,
fbmf
shirak
Knight

Post by shirak »

fbmf at [unixtime wrote:1182022867[/unixtime]]The best part is the school where I'll be teaching is open to the idea of a gaming club. Now, I will be teaching in a middle school, so it'll probably CCG's, but I thought I would try it.

Game On,
fbmf

I've had a lot of success with Munchkin. Very easy, enjoyable and it gets them into the right frame of mind:

You see a dark figure with...
I waste it with my crossbow!
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

If you are going to run a gaming club, be open to a variety of different gaming types. Especially if you can throw in a little "educational" value along the way. I highly reccomend Mayfair's train series, especially Empire Builder, but Euro Rails, India Rails, etc are also great ways to work on strategy, have fun, and learn a little geographical facts along the way.

By the way, the best guy I've known who was a teacher taught chemistry. And for the record one of my best elementary school level teachers never had a credential (oops) but what little French I know I learned from her.