Is After Sundown's "King with Three Shadows" a reference?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Is After Sundown's "King with Three Shadows" a reference?

Post by OgreBattle »

In A Midsummer Night's Dream, Oberon is refered to as "King of Shadows" by Puck, and Puck later refers to himself and other faeries as 'shadows'.

So is that where the "King with Three Shadows" gets its namesake? If so what's the significance of having three shadows, is it a reference to something else or is it just simply cool sounding?

This came to mind while playing Bloodborne when I...
fought the three shadows of [Queen] Yharnam

So I wonder if both Bloodborne and After Sundown are referencing the same thing with the three shadows, or is it just a coincidence.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

It's actually from a rant/conversation with a friend of mine about making a magical girl manga. Obviously that was never going to go anywhere, but the main villain was The King of Three Shadows. The lieutenants were the Three Shadows of the King, and the monsters of the week were Mirror Goblins. It was mirror themed.

The King of Three Shadows went on to being a starring villain in Witch, our nWoD/Sailor Moon parody/actually playable game splat. That didn't get finished, mostly because nWoD is in fact very terrible, but also because of moving.

So the King of Three Shadows became a major villain in After Sundown because I already had the concept fairly fleshed out in my brain. He started as being basically a Mad Libs generation for the main villain in a magical girl genre piece, and he's gradually become more of a world-of-darkness-style antagonist over time.

-Username17