There an After Sundown 'monster manual'?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

There an After Sundown 'monster manual'?

Post by OgreBattle »

I think I saw a thread on here before that stated up things like 'crocodile', 'dog', 'tiger', 'cultist', for After Sundown, wondering if any more were made. Looking at the AS rules it mentions 'beast forms' that give +2 to stats

There's also the occasional mention of kaiju scale monsters, but what would the stats be for something like king kong or a t-rex for him to wrestle?

Would be convenient to have on hand and also to have an idea if someone actually is stronger than a bull or more agile than a tiger by comparing their stats.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Mon May 04, 2015 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lokathor
Duke

Post by Lokathor »

If you make one I'll turn it into a PDF for you.
[*]The Ends Of The Matrix: Github and Rendered
[*]After Sundown: Github and Rendered
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Turns out the animals were right in the main After Sundown thread all along
Rat
Game mechanically not particularly different from a hamster or a mouse. Or pretty much any rodent. Or a small lagomorph like a bunny. These creatures are not individually threatening unless they happen to carry disease, and even then can be “defeated” by an old woman with a broom. Small animals like this suffer wounds as if any attack had inflicted 3 more wound levels. Even a small firearm is generally overkill. They are very small though, so the threshold to hit them from any range past Near is increased by 1. Rats are a frequently used magical spy because they are so ubiquitous.
S: 0; A: 3; I: 2; L: 1; W: 3; C: 1
Skills: Athletics 2; Combat 1; Perception 2; Stealth 4; Survival 3
Speed: 45m

Bat
Bats are cute little nocturnal insectivores. Or sometimes hematophages. Tiny animals like this suffer wounds as if any attack had inflicted 3 more wound levels. They are very small though, so the threshold to hit them from any range past Near is increased by 1.
S: 0; A: 3; I: 3; L: 1; W: 1; C: 2
Skills: Athletics 4; Combat 1; Perception 4; Stealth 2; Survival 2
Speed: 200m (Flying)

Raven
Ravens are creatures of ill omen, mainly because they eat carrion, but also because a raven is always thinking about how to peck your eyes out. Ravens are small, and suffer wounds as if any attack had inflicted 2 more wound levels than its base value. Attacks against them from farther than Short range have their thresholds increased by 1. Ravens are popular as familiars for witches and the like, because they can be taught to speak simple human words. Also they can fly.
S: 0; A: 3; I: 3; L: 1; W: 3; C: 1
Skills: Athletics 3; Combat 3; Perception 2; Stealth 1; Survival 2
Speed: 250m (Flying)

Cat
House cats are important to many magical beings as a symbol of status. Cats are small, and suffer wounds as if any attack had inflicted 2 more wound levels than its base value. Attacks against them from farther than Short range have their thresholds increased by 1.
S: 0; A: 3; I: 3; L: 1; W: 2; C: 1
Skills: Athletics 3; Combat 3; Perception 2; Stealth 2; Survival 2
Speed: 120m

Cobra
Various deadly snakes are a mainstay of horror and adventure fiction. Why does it have to be snakes? Because they are creepy looking and don't make footfall noises when they move. Cobras and vipers and rattlesnakes are poisonous, and largely interchangeable from a storytelling standpoint. Poisonous snakes are small, and suffer wounds as if any attack had inflicted 2 more wound levels than its base value. Attacks against them from farther than Short range have their thresholds increased by 1.
S: 1; A: 3; I: 1; L: 1; W: 2; C: 1
Skills: Athletics 2; Combat 3; Perception 2; Stealth 4; Survival 2
Advantages and Disadvantages: Double Jointed
Speed: 40m

Large Dog
It is important to note that a large and scary dog is still genuinely on the small side for an actual human being, and that while a dog's teeth are frightening, they are not actually as deadly as a baseball bat or a crowbar in the hands of an angry dude. A large dog's teeth and claws amount to a 1N weapon. While a dog can indeed perform a fatal mauling, this is generally not accomplished without many seconds of worrying (that's the thing dogs do where they grab something in their mouth and shake it).
S: 2; A: 3; I: 3; L: 1; W: 2; C: 1
Skills: Athletics 3; Combat 4; Perception 4; Stealth 2; Survival (tracking) 2
Speed: 150m

Alligator
Aligators are the pit monster of choice, because while they aren't super fast and have profound difficulties getting out of a pit, they are pretty deadly and terrifying. The jaws of an alligator are a 2 damage weapon, and alligators have a point of armor. A couple of hungry alligators in a pit can make short work of most victims, making them an ideal death trap for any insane cultists or world conquering madmen.
S: 5; A: 1; I: 1; L: 1; W: 3; C: 1
Skills: Athletics 2; Combat 4; Perception 2; Stealth 2; Survival 2
Speed: 50m
A quick way to modify these critters is apply giant and titanic to them:
"Giant Size" (3.5 meters) to them which grants an additional 6 points of Strength, a point of armor, and the base damage of any weapon they use increases by 2.

Titanic Size: The character gets super huge. Like 8-12 meters in raw hugeness. While in Titanic Size, the character's Strength is increased by 20 and they have 3 points of armor. Transforming takes a Complex Action and 8 Power Points, and lasts until the end of the scene. Titanic Size is a Protean Power, and does not stack with Giant Size. Some creatures get Titanic Size “always on” where they never shrink down to human size.
Then there's the chimera
A Chimera has the mind of an animal, and the physique of a horrible man-eating monster. Since they aren't even reasonable facsimiles of humans, they not only have a non-standard attribute array but indeed fairly fixed attributes and skills. They do have a Potency rating, and sometimes these values increase. Whether they have a spiral horn or a scorpion's tail, a Chimera has natural weaponry that inflict 3 Lethal damage.
S: 8 A: 3 I: 3 L: 1 W: 5 C: 1
Skills: Artisan 1; Athletics 5; Combat 3; Perception 2; Rigging 3 (Water); Stealth 2; Survival 4
And kaiju, with t-rex and king kong as examples creatures with such stats
Kaiju can work as “boss monsters” in that they are so out of scale with even large and in-charge characters that finding something that can hurt them at all can be an adventure in itself.
S: 35 A: 2 I: 4 L: 1 W: 6 C: 1
Skills: Animal Ken 3; Athletics 4; Combat 5; Perception 4; Stealth 2; Survival 4

Story Inspiration: King Kong, T. Rex.

So with those as benchmarks here's my shot at making some critters for After Sundown

Eagle
S: 1; A: 4; I: 3; L: 1; W: 3; C: 1
Skills: Athletics 4; Combat 4; Perception 3; Stealth 1; Survival 2
Speed: 250m (Flying)

Ape/Black bear
S: 5; A: 3; I: 3; L: 1; W: 2; C: 1
Skills: Athletics (climbing) 3; Combat 4; Perception 2; Stealth 2; Survival 2
Speed: 100m

Big snake (Anaconda)
S: 5; A: 3; I: 1; L: 1; W: 2; C: 1
Skills: Athletics 2; Combat (grab)3; Perception 2; Stealth 4; Survival 2
Advantages and Disadvantages: Double Jointed
Speed: 50m

Horse
S: 7; A: 3; I: 3; L: 1; W: 2 (3 if warhorse); C: 1
Skills: Athletics 4; Combat 1; Perception 2; Survival 2
Speed: 200m

Large Bear- armor 2, lethal 1 claws/teeth
S: 7; A: 3; I: 3; L: 1; W: 2; C: 1
Skills: Athletics 4; Combat 4; Perception (scent) 4; Survival 2
Speed: 150m

Tiger/Lion- armor 1, lethal 1 claws/teeth
S: 6; A: 3; I: 4; L: 1; W: 2; C: 1
Skills: Athletics 5; Combat 4; Perception 2; Survival 2
Speed: 200m

Elephant- armor 2
S: 25; A: 1; I: 3; L: 1; W: 2; C: 1
Skills: Athletics 1; Combat 0; Perception 2; Survival 2

Honey Badger
S: 2; A: 3; I: 3; L: 1; W: 6; C: 1
Skills: Athletics 3; Combat 4; Perception 2; Stealth 2; Survival 2
Last edited by OgreBattle on Sun May 10, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.