PbP Recruitment for a Friend: RIFTS (TM)

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Koumei
Serious Badass

PbP Recruitment for a Friend: RIFTS (TM)

Post by Koumei »

I've mentioned before that I'm in a PbP RIFTS (TM) game that has been very long-running. Slow-moving, but we've actually completed 3 or so missions and gained a bunch of XP. It's the one where I have a Tattooed Warrior who kicks like a nuclear bomb.

We're fairly low on players, so the MC has asked if I know anyone who'd be interested in joining. He'd like players who don't mind the slow pace (in combat, you might be expected to post once every week, maybe even slower) and who are willing to stick around.

If you have an old character lying around, then he's not opposed to accepting them (it just requires looking over them to check everything is in order), if you don't then the character creation rules are fairly generous and considering he okayed my character (and helped in the creation thereof) and once played a character who, in-game, ended up with "You know every single psychic power from all five power lists, have fun", he'll allow some pretty powerful stuff. Also isn't opposed to stuff from Heroes Unlimited or Nightbane or whatever.

We currently have:
-my character
-a dragon
-a crazy (note: the player is quite annoying, and the character is basically every Crazy OCC character ever)
-a godling (mostly a scout)
-a mind melter

Is anyone interested, and also fairly sure they won't reflect badly on me by dropping out after one week?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

It's too bad that Apoks don't get Gymnastics or Martial Arts because otherwise I'd totes play the baddest luchador ever.
bears fall, everyone dies
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Im interested. Is the game mostly killing stuff or is there lots of talking involved. Interested in making a mystic knight, battle magus, or cyborg commando.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

It's mostly combat - we're part of the Lazlo militia as a strike force. Missions don't necessarily consist of "Here are X battles connected on a path", having included man-eating monsters that disguise themselves as human children, finding ways to control already-"dominated" giant bugs and such. But there's also been "go into the tunnels, killing giant ants as you go. We're placing drums of chemical spray at locations X, Y, Z."

Lazlo has higher standards than, for instance, Tolkien or the Federation of Magic, so wouldn't hire a Mystic Knight. But the entry for MKs mentions the Knights of the White Rose, which are good versions. These knights are detailed in World Book 29: Madhaven. The other options would also probably be allowed.

http://rpol.net/

Then the game is Rifts Wars. Say Meina's player sent you.
Last edited by Koumei on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

There are a couple of White Rose Knight variants that aren't bad. Keepers of the Garden focus spell selection on healing/earth warlock stuff, while Gateway Knights focus on teleport/portals. Also, the character creation guidelines talk about partnered characters, which would work well with a Knight and Squire.

Some characters I'd find neat to play in a game, in order of increasing snowflake: Yhabbayar Bubblemaker, Heroes Unlimited-converted Vagabond, Splugorth slave-cum-Cyber Knight.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

I'm eyeballing the Vagabond-HU character right now, as it happens.
bears fall, everyone dies
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Where are the existing characters listed? I'd like to see the general power level and capabilities of everyone and how much damage an MDC nuclear kick does
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

You can only view your own character sheet, unless you have GM privileges. Guess what I have? (Mainly because sometimes the GM is on ships that block most websites, as a member of the US coast guard, so if that happens, I can gather all the posts and private lines and dice rolls, email them to him, he'll collate everything and decide on enemy/NPC actions and email it back and I post it as him.)

So we used to have Alexander, a Godling of Haephastus:
MDC: 480
PPE: 260
ISP: 286
Has the spells, powers and abilities of a Techno-Wizard, Psi-Tech and Mystic Kuznya. So he was like a triple magic item crafter (and thief of enemy robots).
We have Ayashe, a Demi-God Wilderness Scout:
MDC: 240
PPE: 152
ISP: 68
Has a variety of druid/shaman spells (healing, anti-disease, summoning normal animals etc), seduction/beauty powers, and a gryphon mount.
There's my character Meina:
PS: 48 (when tattoo is activated: 54 Supernatural)
PE: 39
PP: 23
PB: 32
IQ: 10
MA: 13
ME: 11
Spd: 50

MDC: 190 <-- this is the weak point
PPE: 200
ISP: 15

Kicking: 10 attacks per round, +13 to strike, 3d6 MD with natural strength, 2d4x10 MD when Supernatural. Crits like a scimitar, natural 20 is an automatic KO and deathblow, disarms on a 19-20.

Can also summon weapons including anti-psychic, gain flight and healing, and summon monsters.
We have Shawn, who ended up becoming a permanent NPC, so is at this stage basically a DMPC who just functions as a helper. He's a Mind Melter.
SDC creature, 200 ISP. A bunch of psychic powers. Between psychic body fields and armour, generally has 150-200 MDC of protection.
We have Zato, a hatchling dragon (Royal Frilled).
MDC: 440
PPE: 136
ISP: 126
Doesn't do much damage, but has Bio-Manipulation, a paralitic breath weapon, and a number of Save-or-Lose spells, so tends to spam action denial.
And we have The White, aka Target. The Crazy.
Probably the weakest, when he isn't strapping ten explosives together and setting them all off. SDC creature, tends to wear ~200MDC worth of armour before psychic body fields.
Last edited by Koumei on Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Going to see if I can get a cyborg gunfighter greenlit for play. Also what level is everyone at, and how fast/slow is level gain?

And do you know what the ruling is on cyborgs and power armor using martial arts moves? Like would they deal karate kick damage in MDC or what. Same with body flip/throws.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

OgreBattle wrote:Going to see if I can get a cyborg gunfighter greenlit for play. Also what level is everyone at, and how fast/slow is level gain?
Well, RIFTS (TM) uses separate XP charts for everything, because of course it fucking does. And people are awarded XP for their contributions (which mainly seems to be based on actually posting when it's your turn), as well as small bonuses for clever ideas and stuff.* But most are around level 4-5. Note that new characters start at zero XP, and for most classes in RIFTS (TM), that isn't much of a problem because they're really fucking front-loaded. Only "around half the casters" have that as a problem.

Anyway, as I said, characters went from first to about fifth, and I still think that might be the only PbP game I remember where even one level has been gained. For any system. Now the game itself has been going for many years now, but that's including some stopping and restarting, so a simple division might tell you "one level was gained every two years", but in actuality, it's probably closer to something like two levels per year. Which is slow, yes, but that's PbP.
And do you know what the ruling is on cyborgs and power armor using martial arts moves? Like would they deal karate kick damage in MDC or what. Same with body flip/throws.
Not sure about cyborg/power armour. Supernatural creatures get to use a table in a Rifter (TM) magazine, which is how my kick damage got so crazy. But that's specifically Supernatural PS, and that's different from both Augmented and Robotic PS, so you'll need to ask the guy in charge.

*True story, at least one character has managed to get a level because earlier they got 50 XP for a clever idea or funny joke, meaning the "now everyone gets ___" brought them *just* to the level threshold.
Nebuchadnezzar
Knight-Baron

Post by Nebuchadnezzar »

Ogrebattle, consider checking out the Malvoren race in D-Bees of North America. They're a humanoid-shaped mass of fibers that meld on the fly with combat equipment, and gain ridiculous bonuses in its use, on the order of +6 effective levels.

If I were going to make a HU Vagabond, I'd want to be able to use pre-Ultimate Edition, and pre-revised Conversion Book 1. The latter is because the Revised Conversion Book doesn't grant a bonus Minor Power to Vagabonds, and the former is because the following skill selection almost entirely ignores the skill system.

OCC skills: Speak 2 languages, Cook, Pilot Automobile
Other skills: H2H:MA, Boxing
Secondary skills: Athletics, Body Building, WP X 3

(EDITED)How many different types of augmentation can be shoved into the same character without causing loss to magic or psionics, or change of OCC?
Cybernetics: 3 total implants, of which 2 may be Mindwerks style (made by the engineer who fled Germany and ended up in Michigan(?))
Wormwood symbiotes (if on Wormwood): 4
Biowizardry: 4 implants/transmutations
Magic Tattoos: 6, which are largely useless due to double PPE cost
Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar on Sat May 02, 2015 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Man, writing up a RIFTS character takes a long long long ass time, but fun anyways.

I wonder if I'll ever get to use my fishing skill.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Got my cyborg gunslinger approved
Zero, gunfighter (full conversion cyborg)

Actions per round: 5 (6 when using any kind of gun)
Initiative: +9 with pistols and rifles (+6 with most other weapons, +4 with grenades and heavy weapons)
Strike: +7 (an additional +3 to disarm on called shots and additional +2 on aimed shots)
* rifles: +3
* pistol: +2
* heavy MD weapon: +1 (+2 if it's a gun)

Parry: +10
*with knife: +11

Dodge: +11
Roll: +2
vs Horror: +3

IQ: 12
ME: 16 (+1 save vs psionics/insanity)
MA: 13
PS: 24 (Robot)
lift/carry 600lbs
6d6 sdc restrained punch, 1d4 mdc punch, 2d4mdc power punch, 1d6 mdc kick, 2d6 mdc power/leap kick

PP: 26 +6 strike/parry/dodge
SPD: 132 (90mph/144kph)

Cybernetics
Hands 33 each
-Port for connecting energy firearm to internal supply (right)
Forearms 33 each
Grapnel & Launcher (left)
-Plasma ejector 4d6 1,000ft (left)
upper arms 47 each
feet 13 each
legs 60 each
-Bionic booster jets, leap 20ft high 30ft across
head 60
-Polarized filters, clock calender
-Universal headjack
-Targeting display: +1 to strike with any weapon
-Sound filtration system, protects from sound damage
-amplified hearing (+1 parry, +2 dodge, +3 initiative)
--360ft: hear normal conversation range sounds 30 decible
--150ft: hear whisper range sounds 10 decibles
--75ft hear 1 decible sounds softer than whisper
--recognize specific sounds 35% (+5%)

main body 180
-Bionic lung 94% to work against nerve gas

Special Gunfighter bonus
Weapon master
+1 attack when using any kind of gun (from old timey revolvers to railguns)
+3 disarm on called shot
+1 save vs horror @ 1/3/5/7/9/12

Weapon Repairs 40% (+5%)

Quick Draw Initiative (Handguns & rifles)
+1 initiative for every two PP points above 16
reduce by ½ for shotguns, archery, knives, rods, etc.
not applicable to rail guns, artillery, explosives, grenades

Paired Weapons: Revolvers & Pistols
Can draw and shoot two guns and throw two knives as one action
reduce strike bonus by ½ to strike two separate targets

WP Sharpshooting Specialties
sharpshooting: revolver, energy pistol, energy rifle
+1 melee attack when using that specific weapon for the entire melee round, shooting bonuses, and trick shooting
fire two handed weapons in one hand without penalty
shoot without penalty while: using a mirror to aim, upside down
shoot without penalty OR bonus while coming up from dodging
shoot while riding horse or vehicle with ½ bonus to strike but no called shot
Ricochet shot: ½ strike bonus to bounce a shot off a fitting surface (deals 1 damage to surface), lasers need reflective surface to ricochet (such as a glitterboy)
+1 horror factor @ 1/7/8/9/11/13/15

OCC Skills (per level gains in parenthesis)
American & Spanish 95%
Land Navigation 46% (+4%)
Detect Ambush 45% (+5%)
Detect Concealment 35% (+5%)
Find Contraband 38% (+4%)
Recognize Weapon Quality 45% (+5%)
Basic Electronics 40% (+5%)
Armorer 60% (+5%)
Horsemanship: General 40%/20% (+4% )
Sniper (+2 to strike on aimed shots)

Weapon Proficiencies
HTH: Commando: (4 attacks, WP Paired Weapons, Body flip/throw, body block/tackle, +2 to save vs Horror)
WP: Special Forces (sburst x2 mburst x3, lburst x4), cold cock
Handguns +1 strike @ 2/4/6/8/10/12/14
Rifles +1 strike @ 1/3/5/7/9/11/13
Energy Pistol +1 strike @ 2/4/6/8/10/12/14
Energy Rifle +1 strike @ 1/3/5/7/9/11/13
Heavy MD weapons +1 strike @ 2/4/7/10/13
Knife +1 strike @ 2/4/7/10/13, +1 parry @ 1/3/6/9/12

OCC Related Skills
Communications: Cryptography 25% (+5%)
Domestic: Fishing 40% (+5%)
Electrical: Electrical Engineer 35% (+5%)
Espionage: Tracking people 30% (+5%)
Mechanical: Basic Mechanics 40% (+5%)
Medical: Paramedic
Military: Demolitions 75% (+3%)
Physical: Juggling 35% (+5) (+1 initiative)
Physical: Athletics +1 parry/dodge/rollwithimpact
Physical: Boxing +1 attack, +2 parry/dodge, +1 roll

Pilot: Jetpack 47% (+4%)
Pilot Related: Weapon Systems 40% (+5%)
Rogue: Computer Hacking 15% (+5%)
Science: Archaeology 20% (+5%)
Technical: Jury Rig 25% (+5%)
Wilderness: Spelunking 35%
WP: Targeting (+1 strike @ 1/3/7/10, stacks with thrown weapon WP's)
-19-20 critical
-50% longer range for robot strength
-grenade 150ft
-rock/brick 75ft
-knives/shuriken 90ft

Secondary Skills
Military Etiquette 35% (+5%)
Radio: basic 45% (+5%)

Equipment

tinted goggles
Poncho & beret
casual yet fashionable clothing for wearing around town
laser distancer
pocket magnifying glass
multi optics band
portable tool kit
lighter
pocket mirror
2 handcuffs
6ft mdc chain with lock
100ft rope
survival knife
utility belt
backpack
air filter
two canteens

Armor- Medium cyborg infantry, 230mdc

Weapons
Big Bore “Big Boss” magnum revolver
at least PS 22/augument PS16 needed to hold two handed, augumented PS20 to hold one handed, or -2 to strike, lose one melee action, and take 1d4 SDC from kick of weapon
4lbs, range 200ft, 4 shots in chamber
Big bore shotgun round: 2d4 MDC
human-sized targets lose initiative, rolls -6 to stay standing or knocked back 8-10ft, ½ combat bonuses for a number of rounds equal to hits suffered, lose 1 attack/action
power armor, cyborgs, and lesser supernatural creatures (11ft and smaller) do not suffer -6 to stand. Greater beings do not suffer additional effects other than damage

Wilk's-Remi 137 “Kingdom Come”
3.2lbs, 500ft range, 8 double pulse shots on short clip, 16 with long
3d6 single blast/6d6 double blast

Wilk's 457 Laser Pulse Rifle
6lbs, 2000ft, 30 shots/10 pulse per long clip
3d6+2 single shot, 1d6x10 three shot burst
+1 strike on aimed shot
thermo imaging & scope

Vibro knife x2 1d6

40 big bore shotgun rounds
10 long e-clips
4 flares
6 plasma grenades

Jetpack
The idea is to either just shoot shoot shoot things with the rifle to death, or if needed use trickshooting with dual wielding pistols and the big bore "knocks things over" revolver for 'control' effects.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri May 08, 2015 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.