The Grammar Discussion

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

NineInchNall
Duke

Re: The Grammar Discussion

Post by NineInchNall »

Maj at [unixtime wrote:1178845110[/unixtime]]There is absolutely nothing wrong with being biologically different from someone else. The problem is when you're treated as though your life is somehow less valid because of it. Too many people don't want to admit the former because they're afraid of the latter.

:nonono:

What are you doing being reasonable and rational in a discussion revolving around gender?
Current pet peeves:
Misuse of "per se". It means "[in] itself", not "precisely". Learn English.
Malformed singular possessives. It's almost always supposed to be 's.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Draco_Argentum at [unixtime wrote:1178848720[/unixtime]]Actually reality hates men, witness the shorter life expectancy. That isn't in the game though. I've never even seen someone suggest putting it in. So your claim that stat penalties for women is motivated by misogyny is entirely plausible.

And the X chromosome is hostile to the Y chromosome. It's actually rather fascinating.

EDIT: I would have no objection to putting in the life expectancy difference. Men don't live as long as women. It sucks, but it's true.
Current pet peeves:
Maj
Prince

Post by Maj »

NIN wrote:What are you doing being reasonable and rational in a discussion revolving around gender?

Trying to avoid dreaming about chocolate, BOGO sales on shoes, and wearing pink.

;)

NineInchNall wrote:And the X chromosome is hostile to the Y chromosome. It's actually rather fascinating.

Really? Can I get a link to more information?
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too.
NineInchNall
Duke

Post by NineInchNall »

Maj at [unixtime wrote:1178856299[/unixtime]]
NineInchNall wrote:And the X chromosome is hostile to the Y chromosome. It's actually rather fascinating.

Really? Can I get a link to more information?

I'll see what I can do. :)
Current pet peeves:
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

wrote:I would have no objection to putting in the life expectancy difference. Men don't live as long as women. It sucks, but it's true.

Aside from it being a silly and pointless thing to add to the game it ISN'T a certain truth, especially dependant on the setting.

See there are general considered to be two big factors at play with women living longer and they are both pretty much social.

1) Child Birth Stuff
Women used to have more babies. Which is a life threatening activity, in more affluent societies with access to advanced contraception methods they have far less babies. Also, having babies is now much safer. Back in the day women when women were expected to pop out six or eight of the things with minimal medical support their life spans were much lower.

2) Work Stuff
Modern men still maintain a significant dominance in all industries where bad stuff happens to you, like being crushed by things, poisoned by chemicals, being shot by the 'enemy', or just plain worked to death. Our greedy and continued exclusion of women from all these high demand and often high paying careers leaves US to shorten our life spans rather than sharing the life span shortening around more fairly.

Those are both social conditions, change or remove them, as you do in a fantasy setting and bam, the tables might turn, or not, or worsen, or not...

Why am I discussing this, damnit...
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

Also, stress reduces lifespans.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
tzor
Prince

Post by tzor »

Draco_Argentum at [unixtime wrote:1178848720[/unixtime]]Actually reality hates men, witness the shorter life expectancy. That isn't in the game though.

Ironically there is a lot of aging that isn't in the rules. That's where the joke abut people getting better and better eyesight and hearing as they become old farts.

(The answer isn't stat adjustment ... the answer is old fart diseases. Although you can make an argument for hearing, eyesight loss is typically due to diease.)

Back in the old days where D&D is set, life expectency for women was far less than that for men. The problem was that we solved the problem of childbirth long before we solved the problem for work/war and smoking problems and related diseases.

"Cure Disease" radically changes life expectancy, heck even "Cure Light Wounds" can make a radical difference in 0th level children.

Besides there is no life expectency in D&D, even in AD&D. There was a max age limit, which iconically in the real world may be based on DNA wear and tear and I think is generally an age not yet reached by mortal men and women. In 1E AD&D the ultimate limit was the fact that raise dead con loss was permanent and unrecoverable. Die more than your con score and you were never comming back. Max age also played a factor.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

"Disease" is a pretty broad category. Cancer is considered a disease. We can talk about psychopaths, and say that they're 'mentally diseased.' People can be naturally diseased from birth: witness all the genetic 'diseases,' either from mutated genes or the lack of the altogether.

Remove disease cures all diseases that the subject is suffering from. The spell also kills parasites, including green slime and others. Certain special diseases may not be countered by this spell or may be countered only by a caster of a certain level or higher.

Note: Since the spell’s duration is instantaneous, it does not prevent reinfection after a new exposure to the same disease at a later date.

Huntington's chorea? Depression? Sickle-cell anemia? Lung cancer? Trisomy 21? Lactose intolerance?
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

As one of my autistic specialties, I'm as good with spelling and grammar as some guys are with the popular genius-focuses such as math or piano.

I never used the spell-check feature throughout highschool and college.
Ever.
I admit, sometimes I fck up, but all an essay takes is a quick read-through and I notice the mistakes as if they are outlined in red pen.

On the downside, I get migraines at concerts and bright shopping areas, can't maintain eye contact for too long without strain, and I am generally clumsy with balance, among other features.
I fail college classes that involve groupwork and longterm projects, and have trouble holding customer service jobs, but disability support in my state will soon help put my grammar-focus and computer-intuition to good use.

Small price to pay, high-functioning autism. A pity I had to wait so long to know this educational support existed... a job with grammar and writing would be fun :biggrin:
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
Cielingcat
Duke

Post by Cielingcat »

You missed the "u" in "fuck." Or rather, "v" with the filter.
CHICKENS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO COCAINE, SILKY HEN
Josh_Kablack wrote:You are not a unique and precious snowflake, you are just one more fucking asshole on the internet who presumes themselves to be better than the unwashed masses.
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Catharz at [unixtime wrote:1178897516[/unixtime]]
Huntington's chorea? Depression? Sickle-cell anemia? Lung cancer? Trisomy 21? Lactose intolerance?

Apparently. Its not House d20 so the disease curing rules are designed to keep the looting happening, world consistency be damned.
Catharz
Knight-Baron

Post by Catharz »

Draco_Argentum at [unixtime wrote:1178946770[/unixtime]]
Catharz at [unixtime wrote:1178897516[/unixtime]]

Apparently. Its not House d20 so the disease curing rules are designed to keep the looting happening, world consistency be damned.

Awesome. If I blame my character's low charisma on social anxiety disorder, I can get an arbitrary increase by casting a 4th level spell.

This sounds a lot like real life (substitute 'Pfiser' for 'Paladin').
Draco_Argentum
Duke

Post by Draco_Argentum »

Only to raise it from less than the racial average to the racial average. :P
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Cielingcat at [unixtime wrote:1178932197[/unixtime]]You missed the "u" in "fvck." Or rather, "v" with the filter.

ORLY? :razz:
From your POV it seems that way.
In reality, I usually do that.
This forum is the only place I have ever seen "fvck", with Franky being the most prolific propagator.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.