Pathfinder Is Still Bad

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

There are also some decent skald archetypes. The totemic skald, for example, lets you hand out the hunter's animal focus alongside your raging song (replacing your 3rd level rage power) and wildshape (replacing spell kenning). You don't even have to spend a feat to be able to raging song while running around as whatever your totem animal is*.

EDIT: I just realized the wildshape is into whatever you chose for the animal focus, which is... pretty limiting, because the good wildshape options make shit totem animals.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Orca
Knight-Baron

Post by Orca »

The way you can choose whether or or to use the inspired rage round-by-round makes rage powers like superstition or reckless abandon kind of handy. Savage dirty trick and a few others are good. Sure, there's a lot of crud but you don't need to choose said crud.

Paladin smites are actually pretty good in PF; ignoring DR & adding charisma to attack, damage & AC, while lasting until the guy you smote is down, make it a great buff. The paladin problem is as always that paladins are a pain to RP with, not their combat effectiveness in PF.

I haven't seen a bloodrager in play but they're close enough in mechanics that you should be able to treat them as barbarians with more options.
Ghremdal
Master

Post by Ghremdal »

Ive seen bloodragers that start combat with mirror image and displacement, and have a rage power that allows them to respond to melee attacks before they hit with opportunity attacks. As beatsticks go they are very solid.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Well they've been throwing enough shit at the wall for a long enough time that some things are bound to work out.

So... do you think they're going to end up shouting "Prestige Classes no longer exist" and retcon "the ones we liked" into base classes/archetypes (so you can have an Assassin Rogue or Shadowdancer Rogue from level 1, and Dragon Disciple is gone because "You can just be a Dragon-blooded Sorcerer")?

Or is it too late, and that will just happen for PF 2.0?
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

I just had a scary thought. The buzz on Unchained is pretty negative so far. Maybe the higher ups at Paizo will get the idea that the fan base doesn't want drastic change (ie improvements). Pathfinder 2.0 is just a reshuffling of abilities, severe enough to require buying more books but addressing nothing about problems with the game.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I don't think the grumbling about Unchained is ambiguous. Everyone hates it because it's same shit, different book.

Don't get me wrong, Pathfinder 2.0 will almost definitely be "not far enough." But it'll be "not far enough" because the devs have never had and never will have any intention of going far enough, not because they misunderstood the criticism of Unchained.
CaptPike
Apprentice

Post by CaptPike »

DSMatticus wrote:I don't think the grumbling about Unchained is ambiguous. Everyone hates it because it's same shit, different book.

Don't get me wrong, Pathfinder 2.0 will almost definitely be "not far enough." But it'll be "not far enough" because the devs have never had and never will have any intention of going far enough, not because they misunderstood the criticism of Unchained.
At this point I wonder if they even could make a pathfinder 2.0, by which I mean a game they made from whole cloth that was not just lifted from someone else.

I doubt they would try to do like that, as I can't image it work out well for them for any number of reasons.
ishy
Duke

Post by ishy »

Juton wrote:I just had a scary thought. The buzz on Unchained is pretty negative so far.
Is it?
Look at the comments on these incredible shitty items: http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lh ... ed#discuss
Almost all of them are very positive.
Gary Gygax wrote:The player’s path to role-playing mastery begins with a thorough understanding of the rules of the game
Bigode wrote:I wouldn't normally make that blanket of a suggestion, but you seem to deserve it: scroll through the entire forum, read anything that looks interesting in term of design experience, then come back.
Juton
Duke

Post by Juton »

DSMatticus wrote:I don't think the grumbling about Unchained is ambiguous. Everyone hates it because it's same shit, different book.

You are right. For some reason I would really like them to try something substantial. The odds of then succeeding are infinitesimal but I regard not trying a worse sin then epic failure.
ishy wrote:Look at the comments on these incredible shitty items: http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lh ... ed#discuss
Almost all of them are very positive.
I thought the Paizo discussions on the Monk, Summoner and variant multiclassing are pretty roundly criticisms. I haven't kept up on much else.
Oh thank God, finally a thread about how Fighters in D&D suck. This was a long time coming. - Schwarzkopf
erik
King

Post by erik »

Juton wrote: I thought the Paizo discussions on the Monk, Summoner and variant multiclassing are pretty roundly criticisms. I haven't kept up on much else.
Really? I only bothered to read the first page for the Monk, but there was one critic at the start to a dozen fanboys, and a few people waiting on the fence or mixed feelings.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Those items are not that terrible, considering they cost almost nothing.
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
Roog
Master

Post by Roog »

Rawbeard wrote:Those items are not that terrible, considering they cost almost nothing.
They have a price of almost nothing, but look at the cost to make them.

ROBE OF THE FAERIE QUEEN, Price 4,800 gp, CONSTRUCTION Cost 132,000 gp
CRYSTAL TIARA, Price 1,000 GP, CONSTRUCTION Cost 132,000 gp
LeadPal
Apprentice

Post by LeadPal »

Rawbeard wrote:Those items are not that terrible, considering they cost almost nothing.
Not quite. Either the PCs pay for them, or the GM charges for them.
Magic Items Unchained wrote:The math is all worked out to allow GMs to use a few different systems for the advancement, including automatic advancement (in which case, it's recommended to dole out less treasure if you want to keep the party at about the same power level) or advancement using rituals and gold (the easier method for someone running a published adventure).
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

I'm just taking the piss DSM; calm the fuck down. I know you have a pathological need to be right about TTRPGs, but that was pretty obviously a post made in jest.

Although the Skald is pretty ass, even though it's a 2/3rds caster. The Totem Animal abilities aren't great, since Hunter Aspects are meh and your wildshape is super limited. At least the Bloodrager gets things that help it be a better beatstick. Spell Kenning is neat, though.
Last edited by Mask_De_H on Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Archmage Joda
Knight

Post by Archmage Joda »

Is the Bloodrager really worth anything? Yeah, it gets spells, but it feels like they get them too slowly and too few to really be worth the bother...
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Bloodrager can do literally everything a Barbarian can do and he gets things like automatic buffs and flight.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

A 1-level dip in Wizard (or a bunch of other classes with a better 1st level) gets you all those things and more in wands for pretty cheap. But that argument disappears down the rabbit hole of "but taking even more levels of Wizard is better still", where your Brb-2 / Wiz-18 is a better barbarian than everyone, and you can also fold in Rage-Mage or whatever to make it better still.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Bloodragers do at least get the benefit of a swift action spell when they enter rage, if I recall correctly. A one level dip in wizard doesn't accomplish that, but being a full on wizard with a dip in barbarian does.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Archmage Joda wrote:Is the Bloodrager really worth anything? Yeah, it gets spells, but it feels like they get them too slowly and too few to really be worth the bother...
I started playing a Pathfinder play-by-post campaign (Savage Tide) in 2008. My PC ended up as a Sorcerer 1/Monk 4/Dragon Disciple 4 (except instead of a Dragon Disciple, I asked the GM if I could play an "Abyssal Disciple" that advanced the Abyssal bloodline). I wanted to play a strong unarmored guy with claws who turned into kind of a monster (with access to buffs like Enlarge Person, Mage Armor, Mirror Image, etc. in scroll or wand form).

If the Bloodrager had been around at that time, I definitely would have gone straight for a Monk 1/Bloodrager 8 or a Monk 2/Bloodrager 7 instead. The Abyssal bloodline Bloodrager does exactly what I was looking for, oddly enough.
Antariuk
Knight

Post by Antariuk »

Dean wrote:Bloodrager can do literally everything a Barbarian can do and he gets things like automatic buffs and flight.
People keep saying this like a mantra but it's simply not true. Unless we're talking about the Primalist archetype. And since it isn't automatically allowed everywhere (not in PFS, for example), the fact remains that a standard Bloodrager cannot do everything a Barbarian can, literally or otherwise.
"No matter how subtle the wizard, a knife between the shoulder blades will seriously cramp his style." - Steven Brust
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Antariuk wrote:
Dean wrote:Bloodrager can do literally everything a Barbarian can do and he gets things like automatic buffs and flight.
People keep saying this like a mantra but it's simply not true. Unless we're talking about the Primalist archetype. And since it isn't automatically allowed everywhere (not in PFS, for example), the fact remains that a standard Bloodrager cannot do everything a Barbarian can, literally or otherwise.
If you need to ban the primalist archetype to stop Bloodrager from being a directly superior Barbarian than Bloodrager is a directly superior Barbarian. What you have said is "Bloodrager can't do everything a Barbarian can do if you ban the things that allow him to do that.".

I'm aware they ban Primalist at PFS, however I don't give a fuck about PFS because basically everything is banned in PFS.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
DeadlyReed
Journeyman

Post by DeadlyReed »

Hmm, they just replaced the APG Summoner with the unchained Summoner in PFS.
Last edited by DeadlyReed on Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Is he available online?
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
TOZ
Duke

Post by TOZ »

Not yet. Should be up on the PRD before long.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Rawbeard wrote:Is he available online?
Preview: All classic spells on your spell-list are moved up to the spell level that wizards use. You get half the normal number of evolution points, but you also get a template full of bullshit to apply to your Eidolon. Everything else is unchanged.
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.