Steam Bootstrapper Client Not Responding

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Steam Bootstrapper Client Not Responding

Post by Prak »

Bought the new Origin 2 HB, tried to claim Dragon Age Origins on Steam (because fuck EA's special snowflake steam-mimic) and found that steam on my desktop just doesn't want to work. I click "Activate product" and it freezes. I activate the product on my laptop, and tried to install it on my desktop, and it freezes.

I've fucked with the client registry, uninstalled and reinstalled, tried compatibility shit... and none of that helped. And now it's even more of a pain in the ass, because uninstalling steam means my games are uninstalled.

Anyone know how I can fix this?
Last edited by Prak on Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Horrible bad news time: I once had a problem like this, and it turned out the hard drive was dying. As far as I could tell, the cause was that a sector somewhere was damaged but the disk still thought it was usable, and when I uninstalled and reinstalled it went back in the same place. Run chkdsk and see what happens.
Last edited by name_here on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hm... with the other issues I've been having with the computer, this seems possible. On the plus side, the computer is less than four months old, so if that is the problem, I will and bitch Western Digital out and get a replacement.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.