Gaming Journal- suggestions?

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Gaming Journal- suggestions?

Post by Prak »

Looking at moleskines in B&N (because there are some parts of hipsterism that are actually pretty stylish) and the "Passion Journal" stuff got me thinking about that format for gaming stuff. I definitely want to publish Midgard in that form factor (size, binding style, etc), but it also got me thinking about doing gaming notebooks like that.

I've been working on a character sheet that is on the same size paper as part of a "Gaming Passion Journal." A knockoff moleskine retails for ~$12, so that is an option, or I can do something like the cardstock bound journals that moleskine sells in 3 packs, which I think is a better form for something like this.

So far, I have the following planned-
  • Character sheet, which is looking like it will be 4 pages and have some space for more fluffy character aspects like "Background," and I've included CMB/CMD so it should be broadly usable for 3.X, PF and 5e.
  • A Party Sheet, with space for 4-12 characters in a "Salient stuff only" write up (race, class, maybe a key note or two, but not all their stats)
  • DM Screen style reference pages for 3.X/PF
What else would people want to see in something like this, given that there will of course also be some blank lined pages that are probably ~75% of the notebook?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So... no input? No one cares?

Meh, I'll ask more shit anyway. Especially since GiantITP is so butthurt over some stupid arguments I took part in years ago to let me fucking post there.

The character sheet is pretty much done.* I want to incorporate a "Guild/Organization/Church" sheet so that players can keep salient details about any guild/business/church/temple/criminal enterprise they've joined or started with their character sheet. I'm going to page through the PHB2 Guild rules, but I'm also curious what you guys would actually want on a sheet meant for tracking your character's guild or business.

Any suggestions on fields that would be relevant?

*It starts on the left page because I only converted pages with content into a pdf. The first page is going to be a full page space for a character illo. in addition to the portrait square on the first page of content.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

grids grids grids grids.

Also stickers, I mean this in an entirely serious way, everyone loves stickers.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Well, I'm thinking about doing a DM's notebook too, which would have grids, either in their own section, or ruled pages that have lighter coloured vertical ruling that allows you to use them as grids, but I'm starting by designing the Player book first, since there are usually between 2 and 10 players for every DM.

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So... I want a page of the notebook to be given over to tracking party members. Not like a whole character sheet for each, but just a way to sketch out who's in your party. I've got Name, Race, Class, Level, Alignment, HP, AC and Status, but I'm not sure what else you might want to have on hand on your sheet to reference for other players. Any suggestions?