Rape magic mythology

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Rape magic mythology

Post by OgreBattle »

FrankTrollman wrote:Yes. Actual myths are weird. There are a lot of creatures out there that get mystic powers by raping people. That's an incredibly common trope all over the world. And it's not just "the devil" that pulls that shit, nature spirits of various types and inclinations (and wizards associated with same) do it all the time.
from: http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=50 ... c&start=50

I'd like to know more about these myths, but it's rather difficult to google for and get the results I want.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Type "Chrono Cross", "my childhood", and "magic system" into Google. Then you'll find what you seek.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
spongeknight
Master

Post by spongeknight »

Lago PARANOIA wrote:Type "Chrono Cross", "my childhood", and "magic system" into Google. Then you'll find what you seek.
I did as you said and came up with a bunch of reviews that had nothing to do with this topic. Not that I care much, I just always Google whatever people tell me to because I'm so lonely.
A Man In Black wrote:I do not want people to feel like they can never get rid of their Guisarme or else they can't cast Evard's Swarm Of Black Tentacleguisarmes.
Voss wrote:Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Probably the most common bit of folklore regarding it today is the whole "African people think fucking a virgin cures things." But if you dig into the old Celtic myths, you find a lot of "magic wife" stories where a wily or strong human can take "win" a bride; the most popular today is the classic selkie myth where a guy takes her seal-skin. I vaguely remember once trying to convince a friend of mine to compile a grimoire of spells for furries because in his research he'd run into some medieval charm to make the dick of a werewolf rot and fall off because he'd fucked a witch. That sort of thing.
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

Would Merlin count? He was a cambion born of an incubus and a nun, if I recall right?
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
schpeelah
Knight-Baron

Post by schpeelah »

icyshadowlord wrote:Would Merlin count? He was a cambion born of an incubus and a nun, if I recall right?
I think you misunderstand the question. It would count if the incubus was getting power out of this.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_rape

There are some bits in there, mainly Greek and Roman.Ie: Zeus is constantly raping other goddesses and human females.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

To give a short answer, rape is a big deal and crops up in stories a lot.

The most obvious is the gods, elves, and monsters that use rape procreatively. This creates special offspring that go on to be heroes, monsters, or key components in prophecies. Generally used as an origin story. But it is also as good a reason as any to explain rejection of a child.

Then there are monsters and groups that recruit by rape. Vampires and Werewolves work like this in a lot of stories. Often a metaphor for homosexuality or sexual deviancy or marriage between social classes.

Then there are monsters and wizards that use rape to hurt people. This could be in the normal way of just doing bad things to people to be physically, emotionally, or socially damaging. Or it could be something more esoteric like eroding peoples' virility or strength.

Then there are monsters and wizards who use rape to gain power. Because sex is power and stealing sex is stealing power. Succubi can be in this category or the last one. A lot of vampires live here too.

-Username17
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

If you're looking for information on a mythological trope, you'd do a lot worse than to search at TVTropes.

Virgin Power

Aside from rape being powerful in itself, it can strip power from the victim - and obviously there are psychological consequences which fit neatly into a lot of magical paradigms.
"Most men are of no more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into excrement." - Leonardo di ser Piero da Vinci
icyshadowlord
Knight-Baron

Post by icyshadowlord »

The Defiled Forever trope is probably another thing to mention here, if Virgin Power is relevant.
"Lurker and fan of random stuff." - Icy's occupation
sabs wrote:And Yes, being Finnish makes you Evil.
virgil wrote:And has been successfully proven with Pathfinder, you can just say you improved the system from 3E without doing so and many will believe you to the bitter end.
Orion
Prince

Post by Orion »

It seems like a lot of posters in this thread are focused on literal sexual assault, while Frank is talking about metaphorical "rape" as any supernatural monster that needs to violate a victim's bodily autonomy.