Unknown/odd combinations, 3.5

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

spongeknight
Master

Unknown/odd combinations, 3.5

Post by spongeknight »

There are tons of known, readily usable combinations of feats/spells/items and such that have seeped into the collective knowledge of players through the years of Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 edition. However, there are still some pretty awesome combos that I've never heard anyone talking about and can't find on Google. This thread is dedicated to sharing your favorite lesser known combinations so that people can either try something new or tell you why you're wrong and your shit doesn't work. I'll go first since I'm already here.

1. Bands of Blood Rage (MIC page 201) and magic missile (PH 251). The bands grant you a +5 morale bonus on all spell damage when you activate it as a swift action, lasting for 5 rounds. You also grant offensively-minded teammates a +5 bonus on their weapon damage, all for taking 5 damage a round yourselves. Not usually a great trade, but a magic missile slaps people for 43 damage on average from a level 1 slot with no metamagic at level 9, making it a worthwhile spell to use. This is a good option when you don't want to overshadow your less optimized buddies or to let your two weapon fighting fighter friend feel like someone who isn't a waste of space, by damaging a monster and letting him finish it off with actual bonus damage.

2. Wall of smoke and dungeoncrasher fighter. Cast a wall of smoke in front of an actual wall. The fighter can crash someone into the wall, and they have to make a fort save or can't retaliate next turn. Rinse and repeat for low-level killing grounds.

Any others out there? They don't have to be game-breaking or anything, just fun tricks you don't see anyone else talking about.
A Man In Black wrote:I do not want people to feel like they can never get rid of their Guisarme or else they can't cast Evard's Swarm Of Black Tentacleguisarmes.
Voss wrote:Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
erik
King

Post by erik »

So, stuff that was clever-fun and that nobody talked about for 15 years?

Hrm. That's a pretty tight niche. I don't reckon I have anything that I secreted away and didn't think was worth sharing until now.

Best I can offer is to link things that were posted here that amused.

Knight of the Dinner Table

Amber pokemon
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I always thought the Conjuration Creation spell Kelpstrand, plus the swift action spell that turns you into a Beholder (but used on your Animal Companion instead) was a baddass combo. Kelpstrand has absurd scaling on number of grapples it can initiate and strength of the grapple check. Beholder vision turns off FoM, or teleport escapes. So you can completely trap outsiders and such, pretty much anything that isn't a Dragon. Pretty absurd but fun.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

Wouldn't the Kelpstrand be made to go away by the beholder antimagic, too?
Last edited by Fwib on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Fwib wrote:Wouldn't the Kelpstrand be made to go away by the beholder antimagic, too?
No, because it is Conjuration Creation.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Kaelik wrote:
Fwib wrote:Wouldn't the Kelpstrand be made to go away by the beholder antimagic, too?
No, because it is Conjuration Creation.
A creation spell manipulates matter to create an object or creature in the place the spellcaster designates (subject to the limits noted above). If the spell has a duration other than instantaneous, magic holds the creation together, and when the spell ends, the conjured creature or object vanishes without a trace. If the spell has an instantaneous duration, the created object or creature is merely assembled through magic. It lasts indefinitely and does not depend on magic for its existence.
Is Kelpstrand instantaneous? Otherwise it sounds like the magic holds the creation together and an AMF would make it wink out.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

So I am desperately trying to make a wizard who attacks people with Vampiric Touch rays (don't laugh) and I noticed that Enervate spell adds 50% to spell damage, regardless of maximization or whether some of the damage is sneak attack. As no one ever will let me use incantatrix, this might be an option.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Frank and I mentioned that the Morphic Familiar trait is actually really decent if used in conjunction with Improved Familiar, because you can cycle through familiars with spell-like abilities.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Yeah, I really want to play a Changeling Wizard with Improved Familiar and Shadow Familiar at some point. Maybe chuck in Celestial Familiar, Draconic Familiar and so on just for the lulz.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Sandblast + Spellwarp sniper. You now have 1st level spells that no-save stun on a touch attack. Add quicken or split ray to taste.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Don't forget the undead familiar feat from Libris Mortis. I think there's also a familiar focused PRC from eberron too, but I may be wrong. Or thinking of a special feature of the living spell focused PRC
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

There's the Fleshwarper PrCl from Calamari Cookbook that lets your familiar change in weird ways, but the requirements are kind of borked for it and you have to be really keen on the idea of crafting flesh grafts.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Divine Metamagic: Fell Animate for a skeleton army starting at level 1.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

One of my favorite modifications to Drunken Master is Controlled Immolation; you start each combat by setting yourself on fire and running at your opponents.
erik
King

Post by erik »

I suppose this isn't a combo, but rather an under-appreciated prestige class: Bonded Summoner

You get a Medium elemental familiar who eventually levels up into an Elder Elemental (level 14). From character level 8 onwards the (now large) elemental kind of becomes your main character and the caster becomes a cohort that buffs the elemental who natively has a fistfull of immunities and nice stats before you even start laying spells and equipment on it. If the elemental dies then you take some ability damage and HP which you can heal pretty easily, and then respawn in 24 hours- so, easy resurrections. My preference is Earth Elemental since Earth Glide comes in handy so often.

It is sort of a combo in the sense that you can lay various buffs on it.
• Master's Touch to let it wield a huge weapon at iterative attacks with two-handed power attack, and have 30' reach if desired.
• Chain of Eyes when you want to send it in stealth mode to scout for you
• Heroics to fill out any gaps with fighter feats like Combat Brute (at level 12)
• And all the usual buffs you'd want to put on a fighter

It basically lets you play a melee brute in the upper levels without it being total ass since you have a pocket cohort and special abilities and immunities to keep your fighter relevant.
Last edited by erik on Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shady314
Knight

Post by Shady314 »

Prak wrote:I think there's also a familiar focused PRC from eberron too, but I may be wrong. Or thinking of a special feature of the living spell focused PRC
You're probably thinking of Daelkyr Half-Bloods (and their special class Impure Prince) and their symbionts. I remember there was some bullshit someone found you could do with them.
Can't remember or find online what it was though.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

If you're willing to suck Mister Cavern's cock hard enough, there's a variant Ranger in Unearthed Arcana that gives wildshape. Interesting enough, but if you combine it with Lords of Madness and the Aberration Blood feats, you can wildshape into small and medium-sized aberrations - of which there are a surprising number. Which isn't much of a hack, granted, because HD limits coupled with size limits, but aberrations tend to have some really nifty Extraordinary abilities if you comb through the monster manuals.
K
King

Post by K »

Mmmm, I do have a few.

The ones that amuse me most are these:

1. I have one where an Eberron arcane caster can get unlimited spells per day by 10th level. It's two PrCs and a spell.

2. Not one, but two actual ways for a Wiz/Sorc to escape a no-magic plane.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

K wrote:Mmmm, I do have a few.

The ones that amuse me most are these:

1. I have one where an Eberron arcane caster can get unlimited spells per day by 10th level. It's two PrCs and a spell.

2. Not one, but two actual ways for a Wiz/Sorc to escape a no-magic plane.
Surprisingly, Control has not heard this story. Please elaborate.

Game On,
fbmf
Shady314
Knight

Post by Shady314 »

Eberron specific apparently. Is one of the PRCs Primal Scholar? And is the spell Unfettered Heroism?
Last edited by Shady314 on Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

One of the less-common combinations: Blood Magus and Master Alchemist, which lets you use Blood Draught to brew potions in your own blood of spells up to 9th level. I also had a player that combined Blood Magus with some Dragon magazine prestige class (Osteomancer?) that let them pop bone blades; he'd create oil of greater magic weapon as he popped his clogs and coat the blades.
vagrant
Knight

Post by vagrant »

Primal Scholar + unfeterred heroism lets you get back a fifth level spell or spell levels of up to fifth (assuming you maxed out the PrC) more or less for free, which isn't quite unlimited casting. No idea what the second PrC could be, or the feat.
Then, once you have absorbed the lesson, that your so-called "friends" are nothing but meat sacks flopping around in the fashion of an outgassing corpse, pile all of your dice and pencils and graph-paper in the corner and SET THEM ON FIRE. Weep meaningless tears.

-DrPraetor
Ghremdal
Master

Post by Ghremdal »

I have used the bloodstorm blade (or whatever that throwing prestige class is from Tome of Battle) and pierce magical concealment / protection as a mage slayer type character.

The PMP/PMC have stipulations of being a melee attack, and the prestige class allow you to treat thrown weapons as melee attacks.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

@Ancient History
That is kind of awesome.
Wolverine in Medival times!
Last edited by Stahlseele on Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
nockermensch
Duke

Post by nockermensch »

erik wrote:• Master's Touch to let it wield a huge weapon at iterative attacks with two-handed power attack, and have 30' reach if desired.
Wait, what
@ @ Nockermensch
Koumei wrote:After all, in Firefox you keep tabs in your browser, but in SovietPutin's Russia, browser keeps tabs on you.
Mord wrote:Chromatic Wolves are massively under-CRed. Its "Dood to stone" spell-like is a TPK waiting to happen if you run into it before anyone in the party has Dance of Sack or Shield of Farts.