Building a a PC, need input

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

What kind of power cushion do I need for my builds? A second video card would require ~150W, and even if an SLI bridge required 50W that would still put me under the 600W supply limit -- though it'd be at 550W.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

I go in for a quarter to 40% extra. Some people go in for a whole extra 100%.

What kind of resolution are you pushing that you're thinking SLI is a better solution to a single card, anyway?
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

It's a personal preference thing --- some people try to edge out perfectly, others go overkill massively. 25-40% is super reasonable. Going too low can result in a super unstable build, which is a PITA even if it is relatively easy to fix.

But Eikre has a fair point; if you're getting a high end video card right now, you might not see any gains from SLI.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

All right, the CX600 PSU is a fucking piece of garbage. I suspected that something was wrong when it shipped with only a tiny-ass bit of bubble wrap, and lo and behold that POS wouldn't turn on at all. And I consider myself lucky; several reviews on Amazon and Newegg say that they had problems putting in the 24-pin connector and the PSU had problems with brownouts, frying video cards, and destroying the motherboard.

Fuck that shit. I'm never skimping on the PSU ever again. Corsair, you're a bunch of dog ovary-suckling, night-soil wearing scam artists and I hope you get gangrene after fucking a acid-soaked pencil sharpener.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
tussock
Prince

Post by tussock »

Yeh, my experiences with PSUs are I got lucky for a long time with shops putting big ones in, then tried to skimp and it burned me good. You're not supposed to run them too big for some reason I forget, but good high wattage and at least mid-range price PSU is saving everything else from a lot of potential disaster.

But I'm out of date, this box is old and I don't care, so it's kind of surprising that they still suck at the cheap end. Bad luck.
PC, SJW, anti-fascist, not being a dick, or working on it, he/him.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

CS generally has a decent reputation for cheap-mass produced PSU's, but DOA ones are somewhat common. Once you get a working one, they're solid and tonnes of people use them for the combo of solid + cheap, but some of their lines are very failure prone.

I know the EVGA 750W Gold has a reputation for being well priced for it's power and rating. Seasonic has something in that range too.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Ikeren wrote:Once you get a working one, they're solid and tonnes of people use them for the combo of solid + cheap, but some of their lines are very failure prone.
People have said that the C-series power supplies from Corsair are very failure-prone and are dragging the reputation of the rest of the line down. I mean, yes, reviews on Newegg and Amazon are very positive for the C-series, but the one-star reviews are really negative. Even though I'm going to get a replacement I ended up going with a EVGA 750W. My computer works fine now.

After I transfer the files from my old computer to my new computer I'll post pics. Aside from the issue with the PSU, I really like my new computer. Putting it together was lots of fun.

Right now, I'm transferring files from my old laptop to my brand, spank-my-ass new desktop. This has been the most frustrating part of getting a new computer. It's so frustrating that I broke down and bought a copy of PCMover Professional and an ethernet cable from Laplinks.

Windows 8.1 can go fuck itself for getting rid of Window Easy Transfer, or at least the important parts of it. Moving from a Windows 7 desktop to Windows 8 laptop back in 2012 took only 10 hours with a Belkin cable and it preserved associations and settings just dandy. If I used OneDrive or something like PCTrans and then used the Internet as an intermediary (because those old male-to-male USB/Ethernet cables don't fucking work with Windows 8.1 anymore) I would've been looking at around 90 fucking hours of transferring.

I tried to do this two days ago, made it to the 30GB checkpoint, then the process spontaneously aborted because PC Trans is also an abortion. I even broke down and tried to use a USB hard disk to save the image file with PC Trans but that shit conked out at around 50 GB after 90 minutes of waiting. And I'm looking to transfer about 500 GB. Obviously a big limiting factor with internet transfers is my 1MB/sec upload throttling limit (with unlimited download) from my ISP, but still, what a shitload of fuck. In the three years I've been with my ISP that has never come up. With PC Mover Professional I'm looking at 12. After having the whole shenanigan cost me about 60 USD. Motherfucker.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Dude... what the fuck? Just drop the laptop HDD in your new computer and get it done that way.
This signature is here just so you don't otherwise mistake the last sentence of my post for one.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

I thought about doing that and then just doing a manual copy, but I thought that spending 30 bucks for just the software of PC Mover Professional was worth not risking breaking anything. It only became 60 bucks after I realized that the Belkin cable that I already owned wouldn't work for the project because of fucking Windows 8.1.

As to why I didn't tell the sunk cost fallacy to go fuck itself after that realization... well, I told myself a story that I'd be able to use what I bought for a future transfer project. You know, assuming that Windows 10 or whatever wouldn't fuck me over a second time and that I'd still be able to get a software license. Apparently I could just get the two with PC Mover.

Moral of the story: don't end up like Lago, do your due diligence.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

erm. . .
why not use . . no idea what it's called in engrish . . Netzlaufwerk . .
Network shares/samba?
just hook both machines up to the same network(i expect you to own a router for this here) and then share the drive you need to copy and simply do it via network? preferably via lan/gigabit, as that ammount will take some hours to copy over . .
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Alternatively, print everything out on paper in binary, and then manually copy it over to the new computer.

In a thousand years when your progeny completes the task it may make a blurb in the local paper or it could become the basis for a new religious order. Even odds.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Oh yeah, I had the windows 7 to Windows 8 transfer mess from laptop to desktop too. I ended up with ~8 threads on reddit where different people were helping me. My problem was time (The files transferred) mine was that they were all in weird unreadable formats (which eventually got sorted out and unzipped using winrar, but holy fuck was it a stressful couple days).
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I'm looking at building just a basic steam-and-movies PC to put in the living room once my friend and I get an apartment. This should be pretty decent, providing we don't go crazy with what games we want to play (and we likely won't).

Does anyone have spare parts that either happen to be the things on the list or comparable they would be willing to sell for some price lower than what PC Part Picker is saying so I can make this a bit more cheaply?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Iduno
Knight-Baron

Post by Iduno »

Prak wrote:I'm looking at building just a basic steam-and-movies PC to put in the living room once my friend and I get an apartment.
I've got a PC I use for that, using an HDMI connection to the TV. If you plan on using a TV as a second monitor, you may want a mouse and keyboard with a long cable, or if you have an infinite supply of batteries and the time to put them in every week, a wireless keyboard and mouse.

Does anyone have recommendations on keyboards and mice with very long cords, or an adapter that accomplishes the same thing without much effort?
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Iduno wrote: Does anyone have recommendations on keyboards and mice with very long cords, or an adapter that accomplishes the same thing without much effort?
USB extension cords aren't that expensive if you get them online. They can be sold in pretty long lengths and often come in pairs, making them less expensive apiece.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

If you're going to use a computer in your living room on a big TV, you'll probably want to use rechargable batteries with a wireless keyboard and mouse, so people don't trip over the cords. A couple sets of rechargables work well, You can have one set of batteries charging while using the other, so you never really run out.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Alternatively, if you have a smartphone or tablet or small laptop around as well, connect to the computer via network and remote control it.

I basically sit in arms reach of my 5 computers, and i set all of them up so i can remotely control them from all of the other devices including laptop, smartphone and tablet.

Also, looking at that parts list . .
Seriously? x.x
Dude, no, not a GT520 video card.
Look for a cheap version of the 1030 for example and it will just be better.

Storage . . eh . . do you still have an HDD somewhere around?
If so, use that one instead and get an SSD for the system drive.
Seriously. It is just so much more performant, even if the rest of the hardware is pretty weak sauce. And it is so much more silent than a constantly running 7200rpm HDD as well. And it produces less heat and uses less energy.

Furthermore: do you have some RAMs somewhere? Because i don't see none on that list there?

As for the OS . . Win7 is a good system, but today, i would probably try and get a Win10Pro if you are not using something you already have available.
Last edited by Stahlseele on Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Stahlseele wrote:Alternatively, if you have a smartphone or tablet or small laptop around as well, connect to the computer via network and remote control it.

I basically sit in arms reach of my 5 computers, and i set all of them up so i can remotely control them from all of the other devices including laptop, smartphone and tablet.
I will probably do this along with cheap wireless mouse/keyboard. I have a wireless keyboard for my computer and it has only needed batteries changed, like, once in the year+ I've had it.
Also, looking at that parts list . .
Seriously? x.x
Dude, no, not a GT520 video card.
Look for a cheap version of the 1030 for example and it will just be better.
That card is on there because I already have it. I might get a better one at some point, but for the time being, I figure I might as well use what I have.
Storage . . eh . . do you still have an HDD somewhere around?
If so, use that one instead and get an SSD for the system drive.
Seriously. It is just so much more performant, even if the rest of the hardware is pretty weak sauce. And it is so much more silent than a constantly running 7200rpm HDD as well. And it produces less heat and uses less energy.
I need to see if I have a spare HDD... I don't think I do, but I'll look.

..........................................apparently the old HDD I have in *this computer I'm using* is just holding some random bullshit files and my fucking downloaded movies. I guess that works for the initial buid.
Furthermore: do you have some RAMs somewhere? Because i don't see none on that list there?
I think that fell off when I was trying to lowball the MoBo+CPU price. Good catch.
As for the OS . . Win7 is a good system, but today, i would probably try and get a Win10Pro if you are not using something you already have available.
I already have it. But, thinking about it, Win10 might ...be ok... for a living room pc.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Ah, if you already have the parts and OS then yes, make use of those.
Just . . not getting them new for a built please.

Win10 is perfectly for me now that i have installed classic start menue and they do not force the metro ui on me anymore.

Had that not been the case with win8, nobody would have bitched about it.

For an HTPC you could also look into Steam OS and XBMCuntu, which is basically the Kodi Multi Media Centre Software Suite as the OS. No clue wether or not those two can be combined though, so might be a bit awkward if you have to switch between them for movies and stuff and steam games.

I will admit, i splurged on the wireless keyboard and actually got me the logitech harmony keyboard, which is basically a harmony multi device remote combined with a computer keyboard with a touch pad. For remote control of several multi media devices and computers, there simply isn't anything better out there at the moment . . sadly, that comes with a 100 to 150 bucks price tag <.<
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

What about using Linux? Not all Steam games run on it, but at least some do natively. Plus it's free.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Steam OS is a Linux Distro, it is basically XBMCuntu but with Steam as the OS part instead of Kodi.
But yeah, i forgot about it being linux, not all games will work on that sadly.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

When I first decided to do this, I was thinking about making it specifically a steam machine, but I forgot about that when I sat down to make the part list. Looking it up to see it's features, I guess this is a good thing, since I would like to have a video-player and music streaming available, and with more options than are native to Steam OS, since my roommate won't necessarily care about games and will instead be more interested in movies and music.

I already have Win7, so that's what I'm leaning towards, but I could see using Win10. Especially if I can find it for free.

Given that my roommate isn't a techie, and I'm not enough of a techie to have ever really looked at Linux, I'm really leaning more towards standard windows environments.

Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

I would not recommend linux to anybody personally.
That is an OS for people who like tinkering with code.
I'd sooner recommend MAC OS X than linux to people <.<

SteamOS and XBMCuntu are just very specialized and kinda sorta simplified Versions, where you typically do not get to do anything else but what the OS is intended to be used for. XBMCuntu is the single best OS for a Multimedia Computer, for streaming and playing back local files. But you can get that under windows easier and do not have to do anything special to get it either.

Win7 is still a perfectly fine OS to use for the moment. Untill M$ decides to no longer provide Updates for it.
Win10 is Basically SP3.5 for Win7. Of course, if you can get a cheap or even free Win10 version that will not lead to any problems with activation or so, then Win10 is simply the better OS as of right now.
It is just so much more performant on the same Hardware and uses less of it. And as i said, as soon as you install Classic Startmenue, you can make it behave like any windows before it in terms of user experience for the most part.
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:

Eikre
Knight-Baron

Post by Eikre »

Nah, man. Linux actually does Just Work these days, particularly if you're running a version of it with zero configuration and a single-stream GUI-based package manager. But you can slap ordinary Debian on whatever hardware pile you have and get right to torrenting and shitposting with one stroke of the "do anything you want, daddy~" button on the install-config screen. Certainly way fucking sooner than a Hackintosh, lol.

Also, regardless of what Microsoft said, I'm pretty sure they're still letting people activate windows 10 with win 7/8 keys. Go for it.
Meikle641
Duke

Post by Meikle641 »

Linux Mint is pretty solid, and has been fairly easy to use in my experience. It's based off Debian, IIRC and runs on damn near anything.
Official Discord: https://discord.gg/ZUc77F7
Twitter: @HrtBrkrPress
FB Page: htttp://facebook.com/HrtBrkrPress
My store page: https://heartbreaker-press.myshopify.co ... ctions/all
Book store: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/ ... aker-Press