Tome Game I Run

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I have... ways... of accessing pretty much all the books. I'll post a list of the ones I intend to use with accompanying sources later on.

Could I Shadowcraft Mage with a Hicks Mage (possibly advancing spheres at its original rate)?
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ok, fair enough. Artillery Warforged works.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

radthemad4 wrote:I have... ways... of accessing pretty much all the books. I'll post a list of the ones I intend to use with accompanying sources later on.

Could I Shadowcraft Mage with a Hicks Mage (possibly advancing spheres at its original rate)?
No you can't. Just play a goddam hicks mage or play a Shadowcraft Mage if that is what you really wanted to play.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

I'm sticking with Hicks mage.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Kaelik wrote: But to be clear, if at any point you suggest that I, the DM, should run your character for you in combat using some kind of script, instead of declaring your actions, you will be kicked from the game instantly, and I will put you on ignore.
What's the origin of that upsetting you? Because it seems to me like the most logical way to hand several immediate action features. Saying something like "I have Abrupt Jaunt, so if I have Abrupt Jaunts remaining you can assume I will use them whenever anyone makes a melee attack on me" seems like the best way to handle abrupt jaunt in a play by post game.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Dean wrote:
Kaelik wrote: But to be clear, if at any point you suggest that I, the DM, should run your character for you in combat using some kind of script, instead of declaring your actions, you will be kicked from the game instantly, and I will put you on ignore.
What's the origin of that upsetting you? Because it seems to me like the most logical way to hand several immediate action features. Saying something like "I have Abrupt Jaunt, so if I have Abrupt Jaunts remaining you can assume I will use them whenever anyone makes a melee attack on me" seems like the best way to handle abrupt jaunt in a play by post game.
There is a difference between suggesting you want to use immediate actions, and writing a script for me to run your character. To whit:
Avoraciopoctules wrote:Very well. In the future, if I fail to act in a timely manner, consider my PC to be on the following AI script each turn:
1: If it wouldn't cause trouble for allies, throw down a battlefield control SLA. If not, goto 2. Otherwise, goto 3.
2: Shoot enemy. Prioritize near over far, powerful over not. Goto 3.
3: Ready benediction to shield an ally from attack when they look threatened. Goto 4.
4: If viable, move to cover

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ah, I see. I'm not so concerned about immediate actions now, so thanks for clarifying that. I think I'm still going to go White Mage over Curator.

I'm also looking at PrCing into Celestial Beacon- Product of Infernal Dalliance gives a Faint evil aura, while Product of Celestial Dalliance says nothing about a good aura, could we make that "PoID/PoCD causes the creature to radiate Faint Evil/Good, or raises them a step up the scale (AL character>Undead/?>Fiend>Cleric) if they already would radiate a Faint aura?"

As for why a robot has celestial traits, the character was created by a religious fanatic to provide healing and defense to soldiers in a holy war.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

//
Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

ubernoob wrote:What's the ruling on a Beguiler with Arcane Disciple:Spell? Specifically, the wording on anyspell says domain slot, but I don't have a domain slot.
Don't take the spell domain.

Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

Alright here's a character sheet.
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... id=1133221

Also I was reading the Book of Elements project and there's a scaling Energy Substitution feat there called "Energy Specialization"

http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Book_of_Elemen ... Full_Feats

If that feat's kosher then that frees up a feat for me. I have no idea what to fill it with, my character is where I want him to be conceptually so I'll find some Tome Feat to expand the concept a bit I suppose.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Shadow Conjuration Spell Requests
Spell Compendium

Buzzing Bee
Deep Breath
Hail of Stone
Wall of Smoke

Inky Cloud
Obscuring Snow

Acid Breath
Bands of Steel
Contagious Fog
Corpse Candle
Ice Lance
Mage Armor, Mass
Nauseating Breath
Regal Procession
Summon Undead III

Book of Vile Darkness

Nether Trail

Wall of Chains

Champions of Ruin

Bedevil

Champions of Valor

Golden Dragonmail

Complete Mage

Incendiary Slime

Caustic Smoke

Complete Scoundrel

Blockade

Grasping Wall

Dragon Magic

Rot of Ages

Drow of the Underdark

Engulfing Terror

Frostburn

Glaze Lock

Arctic Haze

Magic of Eberron

Clothiers Closet

Magic of Incarnum

Wall of Incarnum

PHB 2

Luminous Assassin

Races of Eberron

Unseen Crafter

Sandstorm

Ashstar

Haboob

Savage Species

Bridge of Sound
ubernoob
Duke

Post by ubernoob »

Last edited by ubernoob on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Shadow Conjuration Spell Requests

First off: you are aware that Shadow Conjuration is a standard action casting time spell, and not "whatever casting time of the copied spell" right? Because that is the case.
Spell Compendium

Buzzing Bee Sure.
Deep Breath No. Long story short, I'm not going to let you choose to fail a save to get out of Shadow Conjuration being half. So these sorts of things are not okay.
Hail of Stone Sure
Wall of Smoke Sure

Inky Cloud Sure.
Obscuring Snow This is from frostburn according to your link, but sure.

Acid Breath Sure
Bands of Steel Sure
Contagious Fog Sure
Corpse Candle No. Something that creates shadowy light that reveals invisible things and people does not have a sane way to adjudicate it.
Ice Lance Sure
Mage Armor, Mass No, not that that should matter, because you all have more than a 4 armor bonus anyway, so no one would even benefit from this.
Nauseating Breath Sure
Regal Procession Sure
Summon Undead III Sure

Book of Vile Darkness

Nether Trail Uh... No? This spell is stupid as fuck.

Wall of Chains No.

Champions of Ruin

Bedevil No, this spell is fucking stupid, and is missing the huge part of determing who the fuck the target can even be.

Champions of Valor

Golden Dragonmail sure

Complete Mage

Incendiary Slime Sure

Caustic Smoke Sure

Complete Scoundrel

Blockade Sure

Grasping Wall Sure

Dragon Magic

Rot of Ages Yes and no. I don't want you casting this specific spell, but if you have no other single target sicken you can use it. My concern is accounting for how it interacts with the Witch, so I would prefer if you found a spell with a duration that wasn't two rounds.

Drow of the Underdark

Engulfing Terror Sure

Frostburn

Glaze Lock Sure whatever

Arctic Haze Sure

Magic of Eberron

Clothiers Closet On the one hand, no because a 20% real clothes is stupid. On the other hand yes, because who gives a fuck.

Magic of Incarnum

Wall of Incarnum Uh What the Fuck? Sure. But I really shouldn't.

PHB 2

Luminous Assassin No. If you want to summon something where I have to roll a will save and goddam percentage chances, you damn well better summon something actually worth my time accounting.

Races of Eberron

Unseen Crafter No. You can't have shadow spells crafting things for you.

Sandstorm

Ashstar Sure

Haboob Fuck you, just cast Fog Cloud. Yes, you can cast extremely slight variation on Fog Cloud number 264.

Savage Species

Bridge of Sound No you cannot have Wall of Force as a third level spell.
Last edited by Kaelik on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Sorry, didn't notice the casting time. On the plus side, standard action summons.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Looks like my question got missed- can I use Product of Celestial Dalliance/Celestial Feats/Celestial Traits to count as a celestial as far as good aura is concerned? I'd like to be able to enter Celestial Beacon at some point.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Prak wrote:Looks like my question got missed- can I use Product of Celestial Dalliance/Celestial Feats/Celestial Traits to count as a celestial as far as good aura is concerned? I'd like to be able to enter Celestial Beacon at some point.
What am I missing here. What bullshit bonus are you going to get from pushing up your aura?

Ice9
Duke

Post by Ice9 »

Sorry, it's not the items, I just underestimated the time investment and then work amped up. Going to have to bow out for the time being.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Pushing up my aura would allow me to qualify for Celestial Beacon, which requires that the character radiate a Moderate aura of Good.

Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Regarding Rot of Ages (or, more relevantly, Nauseating Breath since that is a better spell by far): I am only going to bother with the Nausea option on Evil Eye when I faced with something immune to fear that I don't have a spell specifically dedicated to handling. Deep Slumber deals with vermin, Command Plants deals with plants and Waves of Exhaustion deals with 99% of oozes. Neither Rot of Ages nor devil chills work on constructs or undead, and when it comes to undead I'd rather be using Command or Control Undead instead of nauseating them. So there is no situation where Rad using a shadow conjuration to nauseate someone is going to be more helpful to me than casting Major Image. It's something he might legitimately consider for his own reasons, but there's no Evil Eye/Rot of Ages killer combo happening.
Last edited by Grek on Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Grek wrote:Regarding Rot of Ages (or, more relevantly, Nauseating Breath since that is a better spell by far): I am only going to bother with the Nausea option on Evil Eye when I faced with something immune to fear that I don't have a spell specifically dedicated to handling. Deep Slumber deals with vermin, Command Plants deals with plants and Waves of Exhaustion deals with 99% of oozes. Neither Rot of Ages nor devil chills work on constructs or undead, and when it comes to undead I'd rather be using Command or Control Undead instead of nauseating them. So there is no situation where Rad using a shadow conjuration to nauseate someone is going to be more helpful to me than casting Major Image. It's something he might legitimately consider for his own reasons, but there's no Evil Eye/Rot of Ages killer combo happening.
I don't even care if there is. It is just that one spell has a stupid duration, so If there was such a combo I would want the duration to be longer.

Speaking of which, I think I meant to bring this up before and didn't, there needs to be a duration on Witch Evil Eye stuff, because unless I missed it, there isn't one.

Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Witch Class wrote:Evil Eye: As a Swift action, the Witch may use this Supernatural ability at will. They must target an enemy within Close Range that they can see, although spells like Mirror Image, Blink and Displacement have no effect - the target can still be seen. The target must then make a Will save (DC 10 + half the Witches' HD plus the Witches' Charisma modifier) or be Shaken for as long as they can see the Witch. If already Shaken, they become Frightened. If Frightened, they Cower. If Cowering or Panicked, they fall Comatose. If they pass the save, they take a -2 penalty on Saving Throws until the end of the Witches' turn.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Grek wrote:
Witch Class wrote:Evil Eye: As a Swift action, the Witch may use this Supernatural ability at will. They must target an enemy within Close Range that they can see, although spells like Mirror Image, Blink and Displacement have no effect - the target can still be seen. The target must then make a Will save (DC 10 + half the Witches' HD plus the Witches' Charisma modifier) or be Shaken for as long as they can see the Witch. If already Shaken, they become Frightened. If Frightened, they Cower. If Cowering or Panicked, they fall Comatose. If they pass the save, they take a -2 penalty on Saving Throws until the end of the Witches' turn.
Okay, and when they cower they close their eyes are instantly healed of their fear.

Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

If you want to change it to a less stupid duration, by all means, go for it.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Spells for approval for Advanced Knowledge-
-Dawn Burst (Complete Mage)
-Benediction (Complete Champion)
--If Benediction is not approved, Body Ward (also Complete Champion)
-Energy Aegis (PHB II)

Also- are you counting [Healing] as an Evocation or Necromancy subschool?
Last edited by Prak on Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

If you're asking for strong defensive spells how is Conviction not first. Conviction goes on every character I've ever been able to get it for.
Last edited by Dean on Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.