Shadowrun 5: ditching Edge and Soaking roll ?

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

silva
Duke

Shadowrun 5: ditching Edge and Soaking roll ?

Post by silva »

Hi there folks! long time no see. :wink:

I know Shadowrun 5 is not a favorite among the Den, but my group started a new game of it yesterday and we had some huh ideas which feasebility I would like to ask anyway.

1) We dont like Edge. How to ditch it without damaging the remaining game ? We thought about making "exploding dice" defaut for compensating it, but I aint sure its the best course to follow.

2) We dont like the soaking/damage resisting roll. Again, How could we ditch it in a way that dont damage the remaining game too much ?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by silva on Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

remember folks
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Re: Shadowrun 5: ditching Edge and Soaking roll ?

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

silva wrote:2) We dont like the soaking/damage resisting roll. Again, How could we ditch it in a way that dont damage the remaining game too much ?

Thanks in advance.
Well, you could probably take the average results and leave the randomness to the to-hit rolls.
Whipstitch
Prince

Re: Shadowrun 5: ditching Edge and Soaking roll ?

Post by Whipstitch »

Yeah, eliminating the roll is defensible, but getting rid of damage resistance entirely is tremendously stupid, something which can easily be demonstrated by directing people to nWoD, which was a terrible, terrible combat system.
bears fall, everyone dies
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

Thanks for the help guys, I'll be assuming an average of 3 dice (or 4, still not sure) for each pt of soak. So a target with 12 Armor Jacket + 3 Body would eliminate 5 pts of damage (or 4 if I decide to use the 4:1 ratio).

On another point, reading the Matrix chapter the proposed wireless interactions felt implausible and inconsistent gaming-wise to me, so I came up with the following ideas:

1) making all wireless devices depend on being online all time to work at all. Otherwise I can ser my group simply ignoring the "wireless bonuses" and simply turning offline all the time, what feels anthithetical to the proposed setting.

2) make so bricking don't fry the devices, but only disable them temporarily. It doesn't make much sense that an electronic device don't have any anti-electrical surge protection at the year 2075.

Thoughts ?
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
pragma
Knight-Baron

Post by pragma »

There's no in game justification that will make all wireless all the time work well for your team. They could decide to be a group of tribalist neo-luddites who only interact with burner commlinks. I solve it at my table by explicitly telling people that wireless is on for everyone all the time by gentleman's agreement to make dicey rules work. (Or I run EotM.)

On the other hand, I have found a specific piece of mind caulk to make bricking more palatable: bricking represents a partially successful rewriting of firmware or other low level code on the target device. If the device is rebooted or continues to operate, the malicious code will take over, so security hardware prevents it from functioning. The only way to fix it is to excise and replace the infected chips.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

So you basically agree with my changes. Thats relieving. THe way I was being bombarded at the RPGnet thread made me think my ideas was totally absurd. :mrgreen:
pragma wrote:There's no in game justification that will make all wireless all the time work well for your team. They could decide to be a group of tribalist neo-luddites who only interact with burner commlinks. I solve it at my table by explicitly telling people that wireless is on for everyone all the time by gentleman's agreement to make dicey rules work. (Or I run EotM.)
Dont know why its unjustifiable. The tribalist neo-luddites could simply carry good old AK-47s, big out-of-fashion walkie-talkies and use heavy magic for accomplishing their missions.
On the other hand, I have found a specific piece of mind caulk to make bricking more palatable: bricking represents a partially successful rewriting of firmware or other low level code on the target device. If the device is rebooted or continues to operate, the malicious code will take over, so security hardware prevents it from functioning. The only way to fix it is to excise and replace the infected chips.
Nice. Ill be adopting this. :thumb:
Last edited by silva on Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.