PoS: various minor RPG systems

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

fectin
Prince

PoS: various minor RPG systems

Post by fectin »

The Order of the Link's Rule Set has been perfected over more than 30 years - it was started in the early 1980's!
From "Order of the Link", which claims to be a universal setting/system combo, and which, absent that description, I might have been willing to toss a couple bucks at.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/38 ... ffering-al
Last edited by fectin on Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

Post by Lago PARANOIA »

Yeah, no.
A single RPG that allows you to play Fantasy, Science Fiction, everything between.
Order of the Link is a game about balance. This means that, when you play, you may be good or evil, lawful or chaotic - it all depends on the situation!
The Order of the Link's Rule Set has been perfected over more than 30 years - it was started in the early 1980's!
The Order of the Link Rulebook Primer includes a single dice system perfected over these years, where you aim to roll less than your Skill (or your Attribute if you don't have the relevant Skill) on a d20.
However, it only has a limited amount of history and a selection of magic spells - which we will expand if we meet Stretch Goals.
Do any of those sound like an encouraging sales pitch to you? Almost everything in that design doc except where they promised Star Wars with more axe murdering sounded bad.
Last edited by Lago PARANOIA on Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh Kablack wrote:Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

Those sound like a pitch where I would be willing to toss a small number of dollars at in return for the schadenfreudisch entertainment of a terrible system, and a potential quick review, and the offhand possibility of an interesting narrative conceit.
Last edited by fectin on Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vebyast wrote:Here's a fun target for Major Creation: hydrazine. One casting every six seconds at CL9 gives you a bit more than 40 liters per second, which is comparable to the flow rates of some small, but serious, rocket engines. Six items running at full blast through a well-engineered engine will put you, and something like 50 tons of cargo, into space. Alternatively, if you thrust sideways, you will briefly be a fireball screaming across the sky at mach 14 before you melt from atmospheric friction.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

If it would give you more satisfaction than a cup of coffee or soda, go for it.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

OgreBattle wrote:If it would give you more satisfaction than a cup of coffee or soda, go for it.
I don't know $12 can buy a number of sodas or coffees.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Previn
Knight-Baron

Post by Previn »

fectin wrote:Those sound like a pitch where I would be willing to toss a small number of dollars at in return for the schadenfreudisch entertainment of a terrible system, and a potential quick review, and the offhand possibility of an interesting narrative conceit.
Their playtest packet is linked from the Kickstarter site. I would bet money that they have a couple months of actual working on the rule set, because I see a lot or amateur concepts, stupidly worded things, and just a lot of bad ideas, which is saying something for how unusable their 'playtest' is due to lack of rules.

The official web site has been around since 2013, and the guy is apparently actually a theater actor, and if they've ever released anything for free before I can't find it.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I dunno. Rolling under (thus no one can ever be appreciably better at anything than a starting character) a skill or stat (thus getting a new skill is worse than being untrained if you have a high stat) on a d20 (so critical failures happen more often to higher skilled characters who can act more often) does sound very much like a rule system that was made in the early 80s. That is bad in pretty much exactly the way that a lot of peoples' AD&D hacks were bad.

-Username17
unnamednpc
Apprentice

Post by unnamednpc »

Wait, so this thing has been 'perfected' over 30+ years, but you only get a wee bit of history and a handful of spells? Chapeau!
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Does "PoS" mean "piece of shit" in this context, or is there another meaning that I don't know about?
fectin
Prince

Post by fectin »

"Products on spec", because it's kickstarter. I posted a handful of others a year or two back.

This project is noteworthy in that it's hard to distinguish from a parody. Aside from the "perfected over 30 years", there's positive references to the '80s, the claim that it's a universal system, and the deeply silly name.

I'm not planning on backing it. If not for the 80s roots, I might (at $1-2, I still might). Unfortunately though, as Frank explained, we already know the ways that 80s-derived products are bad.

Even so, it was such a well-tuned bundle of "Nope!" that it seemed like other folks might also be amused by it.
rasmuswagner
Knight-Baron

Post by rasmuswagner »

Order of the Link is a game about balance. This means that, when you play, you may be good or evil, lawful or chaotic - it all depends on the situation!
:shocked:
Every time you play in a "low magic world" with D&D rules (or derivates), a unicorn steps on a kitten and an orphan drops his ice cream cone.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Unintentional comedy gold.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

This game must be awesome, check out this testimonial!

"Playing The Order of the Link changed my whole perspective of role playing games. I started as a Middle Earth game player on an adventure fighting Orcs and dragons. Becoming a Link player allowed me to transcend role-playing and really become the character, because the character was me."
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
Ravengm
Knight

Post by Ravengm »

Pseudo Stupidity wrote:"Playing The Order of the Link changed my whole perspective of role playing games. I started as a Middle Earth game player on an adventure fighting Orcs and dragons. Becoming a Link player allowed me to transcend role-playing and really become the character, because the character was me."
I can't read this and not think of Doom: Repercussions of Evil.

"...and then I was a character."
Random thing I saw on Facebook wrote:Just make sure to compare your results from Weapon Bracket Table and Elevator Load Composition (Dragon Magazine #12) to the Perfunctory Armor Glossary, Version 3.8 (Races of Minneapolis, pp. 183). Then use your result as input to the "DM Says Screw You" equation.